Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I can say is... sorry

All I can say is.. sorry for opening this can of worms :S
You know I have been really panicky and worried this arvo that the posts here were the reason this has all blown up.

But I found a thread last night on the Facebook group Tesla Owners Australia from the 24th Dec by someone who posted that their car didn’t have the child seat tether.

A couple of users commented that they have made complaints, one to a friend of hers in the Aussie car standards department.

So don’t worry too much, it wasn’t your question or my responses that has publicised this.

What do you do if you want to use a mobile connector and it's not long enough? E.g. at a campsite or something.

I read the MC will detect a voltage drop along a regular extension lead - can you use a heavy duty extension lead? Can anyone recommend one that works?

Can you use one of these off the non-wall end of the Tesla MC? https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/mennekes-type-2-adapter---7_5m
I'm in the same boat as not 100% that the Tesla MC will be long enough. I am looking to purchase this closer to delivery - 10m long with IP66 protection rating, however lacks option to change tails.
Portable Type 2 EV Charger | 10 Amp Plug | 10 Metre - EVSE Australia

Could someone with a m3h (when you get a chance, no hurry and i really appreciate it) have a look in the boot for the exposed thread that was available in the non-refresh that can be used to screw the bag hook on?

Side note - i ordered 3, dont know why, i think it was to spend more so i got free postage which would have been cheaper to just pay for hahaha

Reactions: Mes1
Tesla recommend charging to 100% once a week. To be honest I don't do many kms in the week, so I doubt I will actually need to charge much more than once a week. Maybe twice tops.
Yeah similar situation here. More wondering from a battery health perspective... if I charge to 100% once every week and nothing else am I trashing the battery performance and longevity?

Reactions: Murphster
Yeah similar situation here. More wondering from a battery health perspective... if I charge to 100% once every week and nothing else am I trashing the battery performance and longevity?
Elon says that a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla. There are some who suggest just leaving it on charge all the time it is in your garage. I haven't done that yet. Though I think it makes sense, I just haven't bothered yet. Maybe I should at least top it up a few nights a week? Kinda feels weird at the moment, my brain hasn't got used to this yet. It feels like going to the servo every day for 2 litres.

Gonna be really interested in seeing what everyone else does here.

Reactions: dronus
charge to 100% once every week and nothing else am I trashing the battery performance and longevity?
All LiIon batteries are better not being near 100% on a regular basis.

Charging to a 100% is a function of the flat voltage curve of the LFP batteries - so the battery monitoring system stays in check.

If you are only travelling say 50km a week (maybe 15% of battery).. you are probably better going a few weeks between charging, rather than keeping the car in a continuous 90-100% range.

Ideally you'd charge the car to 100% before a day where you drive a decent amount.

But the LFP batteries also have a much longer life the NCM/NCA so it probably doesn't make a massive difference.

Elon says that a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla. There are some who suggest just leaving it on charge all the time it is in your garage. I haven't done that yet. Though I think it makes sense, I just haven't bothered yet. Maybe I should at least top it up a few nights a week? Kinda feels weird at the moment, my brain hasn't got used to this yet. It feels like going to the servo every day for 2 litres.

I’ll probably plug it in at night, esp for the first few weeks while i plan to spend a lot of time in it.
See where it goes from there.. dunno haha

Reactions: Murphster

after 9 years of charging I’m fairly relaxed in my approach. If it is a nice day I plug in for the solar, otherwise I dont bother. I know my model s has 330km or range at 90% (although the reality is a lot less) so a week or two unplugged is fine with me. The only official reason tesla gave me to keep it plugged in is to disguise losses, which sometimes can be significant. Also you cannot ‘leave it on charge’. When it hits the set charge the system turns off, and will restart when the battery falls below the preset threshold which for memory is around 2% less. Note that your warranty does not require you to keep it plugged in, and the reality is most apartment owners who rely on public infrastructure cannot keep it plugged in. So as a test, when you pick up your car tell the agent you live in an apartment and ask what you should do to follow Elon’s advice to keep it plugged in. The answer should be obvious.

Last edited:
I'm a pretentious a-hole so I'll be charging to 60% for my commutes and to 100% at work on Fridays. I think people confuse LFPs BMS liking a 100% reference charge often as "the battery prefers charges to 100%" which is just wrong for any lithium ion chemistry. The number of cycles an lfp can do arguably makes my strategy fairly redundant but it's too easy to do for me not to 🤷

I'm a pretentious a-hole so I'll be charging to 60% for my commutes and to 100% at work on Fridays. I think people confuse LFPs BMS liking a 100% reference charge often as "the battery prefers charges to 100%" which is just wrong for any lithium ion chemistry. The number of cycles an lfp can do arguably makes my strategy fairly redundant but it's too easy to do for me not to 🤷
Can i bring my car to your work to charge to 100% on fridays? Being identical no one will notice :)

I’ll probably plug it in at night, esp for the first few weeks while i plan to spend a lot of time in it.
See where it goes from there.. dunno haha
That is a perfectly normal approach and I’d suggest most new ev owners would do the same. Once the range concerns etc fade, you’ll work out the best charging pattern for your needs. A relative of mine uses a 240v gpo charger on his mg, so he has no choice but to plug in every night.