Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He’s terrifying up close 🤣 nah, he was busy in the post office when I saw him. I’ll put my big boy pants on say hi next time.

Yeah looks like I’ve got the Braumach version of your 2023 mats. Thanks mate! View attachment 1044972
Yep looks identical to my 2023 forsure.
They will fit but if you zoom in on my pics you’ll see the gap around the outside where all the pubes will gather.

I bought the Jowua 6D MagSafe Car Mount - which seems like A Good Thing. Very flexible in terms of phone orientation and location. MagSafe holds strongly. And it charges.

6D Tesla Compatible Invisible Foldaway Car Mount (MagSafe) for Tesla S/3/X/Y/Cybertruck

The charging capability is implemented with a long cable that plugs into the back of the MagSafe Connector, and is supposed to get power from one of the two USB-C outlets under the rear screen (on the back end of the centre console).

The idea is that you press the cable up under the edge of the centre console (to hide it), where the 'plastic' meets the 'carpet':

1715300111798.png

Maybe I'm going it wrong, but I cannot (even with a pry tool) manage to open up a gap to slip the cable into. Maybe the method of construction on Highland has changed.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else managed to get this done: tucking the cable under the edge of the centre console?
  2. Seems to me that a BETTER method might be to pass the cable into the FRONT end of the centre console (probably need to drill a hole) and to garner power from a USB-C adaptor plugged into the cigarette-lighter-type socket located at the very front of the centre console. I think I'd have to remove the trim from the top of the footwell (under the glove box) to gain access. Anyone tried that?
Any other observations/suggestions welcomed.

Reactions: dronus
I bought the Jowua 6D MagSafe Car Mount - which seems like A Good Thing. Very flexible in terms of phone orientation and location. MagSafe holds strongly. And it charges.

6D Tesla Compatible Invisible Foldaway Car Mount (MagSafe) for Tesla S/3/X/Y/Cybertruck

The charging capability is implemented with a long cable that plugs into the back of the MagSafe Connector, and is supposed to get power from one of the two USB-C outlets under the rear screen (on the back end of the centre console).

The idea is that you press the cable up under the edge of the centre console (to hide it), where the 'plastic' meets the 'carpet':

View attachment 1045749

Maybe I'm going it wrong, but I cannot (even with a pry tool) manage to open up a gap to slip the cable into. Maybe the method of construction on Highland has changed.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else managed to get this done: tucking the cable under the edge of the centre console?
  2. Seems to me that a BETTER method might be to pass the cable into the FRONT end of the centre console (probably need to drill a hole) and to garner power from a USB-C adaptor plugged into the cigarette-lighter-type socket located at the very front of the centre console. I think I'd have to remove the trim from the top of the footwell (under the glove box) to gain access. Anyone tried that?
Any other observations/suggestions welcomed.
I have bought a similar item but face the same quandary you are. Running it to the rear usbc sockets seems a bit silly.
In the end I put it back in the box and just put my phone on the built in wireless thing.

The cigarette lighter socket makes sense, just use one of those usbc power plug things in there. I have one somewhere. Not keen on drilling holes tho, that usually ends up like the wall between the kids rooms in that tv show “the middle”.

I have bought a similar item but face the same quandary you are. Running it to the rear usbc sockets seems a bit silly.
In the end I put it back in the box and just put my phone on the built in wireless thing.

The cigarette lighter socket makes sense, just use one of those usbc power plug things in there. I have one somewhere. Not keen on drilling holes tho, that usually ends up like the wall between the kids rooms in that tv show “the middle”.

I don't mind running to the back to pick up power - it's certainly the easiest approach.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to tuck the cable under the trim, so I grabbed a roll of Velcro cable wrap from my box of tricks, and used it to stick the cable to the carpet just below the centre console trim. I think it looks ok like this. (My wife, who usually sits there, will probably never even notice it.) Might not be a forever solution... but then again...

It stands out more when you shine a bright torch on it for a photo:

1715404357975.png

Has anyone fitted any protection for the back of the rear seats for when they are folded down? I have x-car mats everywhere else but I can’t seem to find them for the m3h for the back of the seats to protect them when folded down and I have a roll of carpet to put in there.

Has anyone fitted any protection for the back of the rear seats for when they are folded down? I have x-car mats everywhere else but I can’t seem to find them for the m3h for the back of the seats to protect them when folded down and I have a roll of carpet to put in there.

Thanks, ordered.
Grabbed some seatbelt insert things too as the dog sets off the alert, and a touch up pen to put in the glovebox

Reactions: sammody
I don't have the jowua one but something similar, I'm able to tuck the cable under the edge. I connect it to a hub, I’ve seen some now available for the highland on aliexpress so this might be a better option.

View attachment 1045808
Tessories have a hub

Yeah I really hope people give it a try first and realise how much better it is.

Sure there'll be some that can't adapt and its great there is an option for them.

Is it better though? For me it's not a show-stopper, but when I test drove the highland I didn't like it for the following reasons.

1. When doing a quick turn (eg. lane change) the signal stalk is reliably always in the same location and can be reflexively actuated in the time it takes you to think about it. Unlike the steering wheel buttons which can be at any point around the wheel and would take an additional brain cycle to locate.

2. Holding the wheel comfortably at the points where the wheel hub attaches to the round bit of the wheel (where the buttons are) has your palm naturally resting at this point. If you want to use the buttons you would need to drop your hand a couple of cm so that your thumb is at the right place to actuate them. This is an additional and unnecessary step. When test driving I kept having to look down to find the buttons (I'm sure with time I won't need to, but I would still need the extra step of dropping my hand then locating the right button).

3. Reversing out my driveway and then in Drive down the street is simple because I know where the stalk is what to do with it once my hand finds it. Using the screen will always be a matter of looking to find the part of the screen to rest my finger for the swipe. Yes, it'll get quicker, but without the tactile feedback I have with the stalk I will always need to visually find the location on the screen first and then swipe.

4. I don't want to think about using the signal buttons while halfway through a turn (or in a roundabout).
I'm hoping with more use of the buttons/screen it'll become like second nature, but I'm not holding my breath.

Absolutely.

My experience is that I reached for stalks twice in my first drive but after that could use them perfectly well including roundabouts without having to look.

Within a week or two they were just second nature, I don't even think about it. I've always got them right under either thumb and using stalks now just feels antiquated and unnatural. I compare it to the first time using one pedal driving. Feels a bit different the first time, but quickly adapt and would never want to go back.

I remarked a little while back while I was on holiday in SA, one of the hotels I was staying at had a very sharp left turn followed by an immediate right turn to enter the driveway. I was doing that several times a day for three days and indicating just fine before I even realised that this was supposed to be a difficult situation for indicator buttons.

I compare it to the first time using one pedal driving. Feels a bit different the first time, but quickly adapt and would never want to go back.
That's a huge call. I love one-pedal driving and can't imagine driving the Tesla without it. Driving an ICE and having to constantly ride the brake pedal feels wrong. I honestly hope your experience of no stalks is common.

I'll come back to this discussion in ~6 months from now and tell my past self which way the chips have fallen.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
That's a huge call. I love one-pedal driving and can't imagine driving the Tesla without it. Driving an ICE and having to constantly ride the brake pedal feels wrong. I honestly hope your experience of no stalks is common.

I'll come back to this discussion in ~6 months from now and tell my past self which way the chips have fallen.
You do get used to it and it becomes natural .
When I drive the ICE cars at work I find it frustrating looking for which stalk or button I need to press. I gave up looking for how to wash the windscreen.

After not too long you know where the indicator buttons are instead of stalks, it’s just relearning a habit.

Reactions: jaykaye and Jules22