Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a recommendation for a 10amp cable?

I had been planning to pick this one up, but open to other suggestions:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-10m...-heavy-duty-tradesman-extension-lead_p4420227
That looks OK, but it's hard to judge how good the connections in the plug and socket are, which is often the weak point.

The welding supplies place has an equivalent one (10m 10A 1.5mm²) for a far bit cheaper but shipping makes up a bit of the difference (about $18 to Canberra).

Reactions: Tony Soprano
Is anyone here with solar using or planning on using the Charge HQ app? Essentially using excess solar to charge your car instead of exporting it to the grid.

Yes, I use it. I use chargeHQ to charge my car using excess solar from sunrise till 11am, charge at 32a between 11-2pm and then excess solar again for the rest of the day. If I'm not home during the day to utilise excess solar I schedule charging between 12am-6am at 32a paying 8c/kwh.

• Love
Reactions: dronus and Tesl3on
Yes, I use it. I use chargeHQ to charge my car using excess solar from sunrise till 11am, charge at 32a between 11-2pm and then excess solar again for the rest of the day. If I'm not home during the day to utilise excess solar I schedule charging between 12am-6am at 32a paying 8c/kwh.
Thanks to you and @Jules22 for the replies.

As I’m a complete novice/first timer I apologise in advance for any dumb questions. My solar system is pretty tame (6.6kw system) and I’ll only be driving 20 odd kms a day. Do you think ChargeHQ would even be worth it for me? Does charging with excess solar mean the charge speed would be rather slow? I’ve got the mobile charger and I’m still tossing up on whether to have the 5 pin 32a socket installed.

Thanks to you and @Jules22 for the replies.

As I’m a complete novice/first timer I apologise in advance for any dumb questions. My solar system is pretty tame (6.6kw system) and I’ll only be driving 20 odd kms a day. Do you think ChargeHQ would even be worth it for me? Does charging with excess solar mean the charge speed would be rather slow? I’ve got the mobile charger and I’m still tossing up on whether to have the 5 pin 32a socket installed.
You could just use the free version (that's all I have) and limit the current to get the kw you want, it's just a very manual process. You can also do that without ChargeHQ just in the Tesla app.

Yes will definitely be slower depending on how much excess solar you have available.

Reactions: Tesl3on
I’ve got the mobile charger and I’m still tossing up on whether to have the 5 pin 32a socket installed.

I have mine set up this way.

It really depends on what your purpose is, if you want to entirely charge from solar you can look at buying a solar aware charger such as zappi, wallbox, wattpilot etc so you don't need to worry about chargehq.

Or as Jules22 has mentioned you can limit the current but you'll need to set this up manually and you may not entirely be using excess solar as it is dependant on your home usage at that point in time, how much sun is shining, solar generation etc.

Alternatively take a look at an ev electricity plan (do the sums first to see if it works for you) as they offer free electricity usage for a couple of hours during the day (this is a net metering offer so Fit gets wasted first and then if anything comes from the grid it will be free) and a cheap night tariff for charging.

This is the plan I have signed up to. It’s the AGL VIP family and friends plan. Just remember this is SA where electricity prices are sky high lol.
IMG_2120.png

Vs
AGLs EV plan including GST.
I’m just not sure if the savings from charging at night would offset the higher rates for everything else.
IMG_2142.jpeg

Is anyone here with solar using or planning on using the Charge HQ app? Essentially using excess solar to charge your car instead of exporting it to the grid.
That is my plan. I am only using about 10% of what my 6.6kw solar system generates, I work from home and should have long windows in which I can charge, so ChargeHQ restricting the car to excess solar makes sense to me. This is for the long range NMC battery, so frequent charges between drives should let me live within a pretty tight SOC range. which I understand is ideal.

Just has to avoid an average 0.7kwh/day grid purchase for ChargeHQ to pay for itself (at my flat $0.28/kWh grid rate).

The car has to be delivered first, so just a plan atm.

• Love
In NSW I just signed up to OVO with their 3 for Free plan which gives free electricity from 11am to 2pm every day which is good for someone like me who works from home 3-4 days a week when I can charge the car during this time. Although with this plan there are some downsides, low FIT of 3c/kw and a standard/peak c/kwh of 39 cents.

• Love
Were you originally on the EV Plan and then they offered you to get the 3 for Free plan on top? I asked them if I could get the EV plan with 3 hours free each day and they said this was only offered to previous customers already on the EV plan?
Yes. The 3 free hours were offered in December.

The website now shows the free hours for this plan so I assume you should be able to get this

Reactions: TE5L4
Yes. The 3 free hours were offered in December.

The website now shows the free hours for this plan so I assume you should be able to get this

How dodgy of them when I just signed up for the Free 3 Plan end of Jan and they strictly said I could not have both 😠

See below...

1707906124124.png

That looks OK, but it's hard to judge how good the connections in the plug and socket are, which is often the weak point.

The welding supplies place has an equivalent one (10m 10A 1.5mm²) for a far bit cheaper but shipping makes up a bit of the difference (about $18 to Canberra).
If you want bit more reliability then get 10 meters(or any other length) of this :

then get these:

Will have much better cable, plug and sockets.

Reactions: cafz