Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you with Musk or Hawking on AI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, there is this thing called the internet, where anyone can find videos of anything. There was no sex or violence in that video, other than what our imaginations may have created. Maybe he was just slicing up some tomatoes and got some on the plastic. As to the duct tape, it could have fallen off, or been removed. Use your imagination :wink:

Sure, I just have a problem stifling adult conversation because a kid might be listening, especially when the same conversation, and worse, can be heard right around the corner, so to speak. I also don't believe a child will be harmed by hearing a "dirty" word or two.

I'd like to point out the huge difference between specialized AI and AGI (Artificial General Intelligence). Specialized AI systems have been in use for decades and improving daily as technology improves. It is behind Googles self-driving cars and that's what Elon is interested in.

On the other hand, Hawkins is afraid of AGI and warns us not to develop it. While there is some academic research being done in that area, it is very far from reaching practical levels and questionable whether or not it should be developed from a philosophical point of view.

What I am trying to emphasize is that there is a huge difference and it requires a serious concentrated effort to implement AGI, while a specialized AI is much easier and more practical to implement and there is no "danger" that your self-driving car suddenly develops a conscience and becomes self-aware. That idea belongs to the Hollywood scripts and should remain there.

I agree completely, but take a look at this anyway:

Must Watch: Model S gets an upgrade to to the SAL 9000

:rolleyes:

GSP

Theoretically we could agree to stop advancing AI technology at some point before it has the ability to do so on its own.

Theoretically. However, the entire world population agreeing to stop advancing technology has never happened in human history, that I am aware of at least.

GSP

Theoretically. However, the entire world population agreeing to stop advancing technology has never happened in human history, that I am aware of at least.

GSP

... And this is why AI is inevitable, as long as there is no theoretical/logical reason as to why it would be impossible to create (IMO no such particular reason exists, after all we as intelligent humans came about from microbes after some hundred millions of years of slow evolution).

... And this is why AI is inevitable, as long as there is no theoretical/logical reason as to why it would be impossible to create (IMO no such particular reason exists, after all we as intelligent humans......

Arguably right there is the reason that AI isn't inevitable. The human mind may be brilliant enough to create all sorts of inventions but on some subjects we're hardly capable of existing on the same planet with each other. Our own definitions of intelligence are influenced by our upbringing and education, by the morals and values instilled in us by parents, peers, society etc. Interactive AI by definition must start with basic programming, with the basic rules, but whose rules should we use?

I will guess that all sorts of rules will be used, and the ones that have the best survival and reproductive value will be the ones that continue into the future.

GSP

To me it's clear the route to true AI will be evolutionary so I think we can forget about setting "rules" or boundries.

On a related note I'm not sure why so many people are scared? When in history has advancement of intelligence been negative? I guess a lot of the fear comes from a dichomotic thinking "us" (humans) vs. AI ("it"). This is probably a mistake. AI will become an extension of our current cognitive capacities (which are limited by room within the skull cavity and by other biological limitations that would, without AI, take generations upon generations of further evolution to slowly improve).

There is a difference between human intelligence enhanced by technology and a truly independent, self aware, replicating, and evolving AI. A true AI is not an advancement of intelligence, it's the creation of a new type of intelligence.
Agree with this, and this new intelligence will become unpredictable by less intelligent beings (I.e. Humans).

One thought I had was...our bodies are really just complex machines, what Intelligence built us? Are we really naive enough to think the primordial ooze we evolved from came into existence randomly? To me that primordial ooze could well have been some other Intelligence's equivalent of what us humans are trying to do in building a self learning AI computer program.

One thought I had was...our bodies are really just complex machines, what Intelligence built us? Are we really naive enough to think the primordial ooze we evolved from came into existence randomly? To me that primordial ooze could well have been some other Intelligence's equivalent of what us humans are trying to do in building a self learning AI computer program.

There is a theory that our universe is just a projection or simulation of reality, but then that begs the question of what created that simulation, and what created that creator, etc. etc. It really just moves the question further down the line, so at this point since life seems rather rare in this universe I'd say a random combination out of potential billions of combinations over time is just as likely, if not more so.

Decided to take a look at the AI company that Elon invested in. Seems like they are looking into algorithms that mimic human vision (no pun intended). The investors list is quite the "who's who".

Vicarious - Investors

So, Steven Hawking is warning us; and Elon is investing while jokingly hoping the AI will be nice to us. I know he said solar paneled SC would work during Zombie Apocalypse, but an AI could definitely control power grids ;)

Decided to take a look at the AI company that Elon invested in. Seems like they are looking into algorithms that mimic human vision (no pun intended).

This fits in well with his plan for self driving cars. Tesla's goal is to use cheap cameras with machine vision to map the surroundings in 3D, instead of using Google's expensive LIDAR system.