Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there an issues related to Tesla Solar Roof and Open Cell Attic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

For my house I'm considering changing an HVAC system and as a result thinking about insulating attic by foam, which is a modern suggested way of attic insulation in Texas.
You can see an example of open cell at at around 4 min on this video

I have solar roof on order, it is not installed yet.

As a result I have a question does anyone have open cell design attic and solar roof where solar roof is stalled after the attic was insulated by foam.
I'm curious how the cabling from solar roof is going to work in such attic and if there would be any issues either from attic insulation or solar roof itself.

I thought there might be problem with cabling etc.

If anyone have thoughts regarding this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a truss attic with blown insulation on the floor - one of the "dumb ways" your video guy mentions (interesting video by-the-way).

So no foam, but I thought it might help for you to see how Tesla ran the string connections from the solar roof to the inverter through my attic:

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.18.12 PM.png

If you had foam in place before the solar roof install, it seems like they would need to punch the flex conduit through the foam and reseal - just a guess.

Also wanted to follow up on this thread.

The contractor who removes old roof and installs Tesla underlayment is instructed to remove boards with rot and also boards that have vent holes - Tesla employees who install solar roof make their own holes and install their own passive vents.

Thus if you did foam attic without replacing roof boards that are rotten it is an issue.

Therefore, ideally, you want to install solar roof first and than do attic re-work with foam.

If you want to remove all vent whole to maximize solar coverage it is possible, but the whole project starting with roof installation and complete vent removal has to be done in winder so your attic does not get backed while you don't have vents and are not controlling temperature and moisture on your attic properly.