Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lunitiks

Cool James & Black Teacher
Nov 19, 2016
Prawn Island, VC
Yes or no question ...o_O

(Reason I ask is because M3 obviously has heating in them, but I’ve seen no conclusive evidence that MS or MX has it. Parts catalog doesn’t say if they’re heated or not.)

Pic of heated B-pillar camera in M3:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/c...vBj4mQfblEgiDmiBBIAAjpGOvQ8bYFy7PwWgzA0=s1000

@AnxietyRanger @buttershrimp @calisnow @verygreen @BigD0g @kdday et. al. - you’ve all got AP2 cars, I’m sure some of you have a definitive answer?

Yes, but not well. I can take photos next time but the actual oval is slightly heated (at least snow melts faster in that region, it could be from poor air sealing from the cabin I have no idea). It does a better job with a small amount (not much gets on the b-pillar).

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
This is supported by other posts claiming it fogs up in there...

I have only observed that in conditions of heavy mist or fog and it does clear up (happened twice and it thickly fogs in my area about 50-75 times per year).

I'm just not sure it is heated or if it is how powerful the element is but I have noticed both thin layers of ice and snow melting in a clear ovular pattern which matches (but isn't exact) to the camera. Basically the heating melt cone extends below the oval and does not fully melt the upper area of the oval (closer to camera). You'd think they directionalize the melt to match the FOV of the camera itself).

• Helpful
BTW, when I say I can't tell if its heated, it could be because it was -11F last night. Here's a photo of my car driving in -2F weather (and using more power per mile that I've ever used (I kept heat at 69F and heat ran at near full blast just to keep the cabin warm). Tesla really really needs to work on insulation and air sealing because I get strong drafts from the doors...

Attachments

• 20171226_080712.jpg
    20171226_080712.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 237
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
The one thing of snow I've had, I can't say conclusively if it was heated or not in the b-pillars. Seemed more from the cabin then independent from the car, like the middle cameras.

I'll dump some water on my b-pillar after lunch. It'll freeze in 5 seconds and then we'll know after 15 minutes. Heck if I forget my garage is likely below freezing and I could try it there as well. I think if it does get heat, it might not be able to power through a thin sheet of ice given how insanely cold it is outside here so the garage might be the best place for the experiment (I think it was 20 something last night in there).

I'll try the lunch water and if that fails, try again this evening. This is something easy to experiment with (no APE root needed!).

Note the indicators are also defrosted on that M3.

IIRC the datasheet for the b-pillar cameras was posted on here a while back and they run pretty warm. Might be enough to keep that area defrosted? Guess the cams could be "always on" on the M3.

Ok bad news. Air is so cold and dry that the water evaporates before it freezes. Everywhere. I can't tell after trying twice whether the camera evaporates any faster than the surrounding glass.

I'll try again in my garage. I also have an IR heat gun at home.

• Helpful
Good you asked @lunitiks , had a plan to document a bit. Driving 200 km in blizzard tomorrow and parking outside afterwards. Will report back.

Some observations so far: repeaters are usually dry and with dried up salt residues around the aperture after long drives.
Rear cam melted some snow I tried to clean it with when parked.
I have seen fog/condensation inside a pillar cam after a few days of heavy rain.
50.2 autosteer sucks

• Love
Ok, tried with IR heat gun. Its accuracy is +-1F, so nothing scientific but it should do the trick for these purposes.

Body panels 9.4F. Interior (leather 22.4F, dash 30F, rear seat 19.3F), driver's glass 19F, Tri-camera 31.2F, rear facing repeater cam 23.3F, B-pillar 22.9F, BUC 13.5F). Honestly these temps (all surface) wouldn't melt snow right now but maybe they are just underpowered as it was 10.8F in my 2.5 car garage but its masonry with no insulation and the windows are from 1890 (and covered in about .5" of ice which probably helps insulate). So I have no idea but I was surprised that the tricam didn't show any real heat.

BTW, when I say I can't tell if its heated, it could be because it was -11F last night. Here's a photo of my car driving in -2F weather (and using more power per mile that I've ever used (I kept heat at 69F and heat ran at near full blast just to keep the cabin warm). Tesla really really needs to work on insulation and air sealing because I get strong drafts from the doors...

Hate to hijack the thread but how do you get the tire pressure to show on your dash??

Well, the blizzard was mostly rain and some slush. After 40 kms rain and slush, radar was disabled while autosteering, no alarm! After 40 kms more rain, it came back to life. I stopped later and saw a thin layer of slush on the fender, but below where I believe the radar is.
We did drive 30 kms on snowy roads, but not snowing. Rear park sensors seem warm. Rear cam was wet but not frozen. Not sure about repeaters, they seem dry. B-pillars?
20171228_161318.jpg 20171228_161322.jpg 20171228_161403.jpg 20171228_161357.jpg

After parking for a few hours in the snowfall, it does not seem to me the cameras are heated while parked.
20171228_222935.jpg 20171228_222943.jpg

Conclusion: more research needed.

• Love
Well, the blizzard was mostly rain and some slush. After 40 kms rain and slush, radar was disabled while autosteering, no alarm! After 40 kms more rain, it came back to life. I stopped later and saw a thin layer of slush on the fender, but below where I believe the radar is.
We did drive 30 kms on snowy roads, but not snowing. Rear park sensors seem warm. Rear cam was wet but not frozen. Not sure about repeaters, they seem dry. B-pillars?
View attachment 269471 View attachment 269472 View attachment 269473 View attachment 269474

After parking for a few hours in the snowfall, it does not seem to me the cameras are heated while parked.
View attachment 269469 View attachment 269470

Conclusion: more research needed.

It actually makes less sense to me to heat the cameras actively because anyone who regularly deals with snow is adept at cleaning their vehicle at least in the areas where the cameras reside simply for safe visibility. The tops of cars, the hoods, and backs however, remain mobile snow drifts around me.