Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Applying carpool stickers without damaging paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked out some YouTube videos and they are highly advising on this idea of putting the carpool stickers on 3M film. So it doesn't leave a huge residue / void marks behind when it is time to take them off.

Has anyone just put the stickers on and regret not using these YT hacks? I really don't wanna have that residue left behind.

I am wondering if there are cheap options for this 3M film they are talking about. Can I buy enough for what I need for myself, or I'm I forced to buy a huge roll I will have no use for. Or can I pay $10-20 for a professional car place to do it so I don't need to waste that $10-20 on a huge roll of 3M film? They also have some kind of device that squeezes out air bubbles, one said you can use any credit card type card. I also have snowboard scrappers, could that work?

Wanna get these stickers on ASAP but I don't wanna ruin the paint. What is the worst case scenario if I'm in carpool with no stickers, but stickers are in my car? I get pulled over and just tell the officer I have the stickers and just got them? I was once in the carpool lane and there was a cop behind me (my stickers in the car). I couldn't change lanes because it was solid lines and a cop car behind me. But that cop car didn't seem to care and didn't check and just drove away after I got out the carpool lane.

I'm just curious what the liquid does when they spray before & after applying. They say its alcohol, like alcohol for wounds and bought at drug stores? Just hope someone can explain this process so I can get a better understanding and not assume stuff.

Checked out some YouTube videos and they are highly advising on this idea of putting the carpool stickers on 3M film. So it doesn't leave a huge residue / void marks behind when it is time to take them off.

Has anyone just put the stickers on and regret not using these YT hacks? I really don't wanna have that residue left behind.

I am wondering if there are cheap options for this 3M film they are talking about. Can I buy enough for what I need for myself, or I'm I forced to buy a huge roll I will have no use for. Or can I pay $10-20 for a professional car place to do it so I don't need to waste that $10-20 on a huge roll of 3M film? They also have some kind of device that squeezes out air bubbles, one said you can use any credit card type card. I also have snowboard scrappers, could that work?

Wanna get these stickers on ASAP but I don't wanna ruin the paint. What is the worst case scenario if I'm in carpool with no stickers, but stickers are in my car? I get pulled over and just tell the officer I have the stickers and just got them? I was once in the carpool lane and there was a cop behind me (my stickers in the car). I couldn't change lanes because it was solid lines and a cop car behind me. But that cop car didn't seem to care and didn't check and just drove away after I got out the carpool lane.

I'm just curious what the liquid does when they spray before & after applying. They say its alcohol, like alcohol for wounds and bought at drug stores? Just hope someone can explain this process so I can get a better understanding and not assume stuff.

The market for after products for Tesla is huge and growing rapidly. I am sure you never thought so much before putting any type of sticker in your previous car. This what marketing does, induce thoughts into your mind to influence your buying behaviour. I have put and removed car -pool stickers in my MX w/o applying any film of any kind, no issues. At the end it is your money and your decision.

Go to a tint shop. They will have scraps of PPF in the trash can that you can have if you ask nicely.

i used some magnetic strips, cut to fit the emblem and put it on the rear trunk when I feel like it.

cav-jpg.579071

I have the ugly orange CA stickers. They are in the center console of my car, unmounted. I have a little over 40M miles on my car and a large percentage of that is while driving solo in the HOV lane, even having CHP seeing me.

My argument is that I am not permanently defacing my car for a temporary right. Worst thing is that I get a fix-it ticket since I have the stickers already.

I got my HOV stickers about a month ago but didn't put it on because people say it's like industrial grade sticky and leaves bad residue on your car with void marks.

But I finally peeled off a small portion of the sticker to feel how sticky it was and it didn't seem that sticky. Probably just as sticky as a normal sticker you get like for free as swag from a radio station booth. It definitely wasn't that duck tape strength, or something that pulls arm hair out. Should I just stick it on my car and not worry about it? People kept saying you'll regret putting them on directly on the car and it leaves residue behind. But it doesn't seem that way.

Should I still find a way to get protective paint film and put the sticker over that? Because I feel the stickiness on the current HOV sticker isn't as bad as people say it is. It's the blue one probably for 2021 since I got it 1-2 months ago. Maybe CA changed the sticker strength? How will I know if my sticker is truly less sticky or if its the kind that will leave that bad residue behind.

I got my HOV stickers about a month ago but didn't put it on because people say it's like industrial grade sticky and leaves bad residue on your car with void marks.

But I finally peeled off a small portion of the sticker to feel how sticky it was and it didn't seem that sticky. Probably just as sticky as a normal sticker you get like for free as swag from a radio station booth. It definitely wasn't that duck tape strength, or something that pulls arm hair out. Should I just stick it on my car and not worry about it? People kept saying you'll regret putting them on directly on the car and it leaves residue behind. But it doesn't seem that way.

Should I still find a way to get protective paint film and put the sticker over that? Because I feel the stickiness on the current HOV sticker isn't as bad as people say it is. It's the blue one probably for 2021 since I got it 1-2 months ago. Maybe CA changed the sticker strength? How will I know if my sticker is truly less sticky or if its the kind that will leave that bad residue behind.
The problem is when the sun and radiant heat bake the sticker into the paint. :/

I have the ugly orange CA stickers. They are in the center console of my car, unmounted. I have a little over 40M miles on my car and a large percentage of that is while driving solo in the HOV lane, even having CHP seeing me.

My argument is that I am not permanently defacing my car for a temporary right. Worst thing is that I get a fix-it ticket since I have the stickers already.

Damn. 40 million miles! Is it still original battery?

I would definitely be afraid of it flying off after a few uses.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt