Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apollo 4 Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JB47394

Mar 11, 2022
Virginia
This isn't SpaceX, but I thought it was interesting - and timely. It's a 30 minute NASA video produced back in 1967 of the Apollo 4 launch, which was the first full stack launched to orbit. It's interesting in part because there are no crew aboard, so the entire video is about the technical aspects of using an Apollo to reach orbit. It demonstrates how NASA approached the general population; just a description of the systems at a basic technical level.

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me was realizing that the Saturn V could loft 140 tons to LEO. It has taken 60 years to get to that point with a reusable rocket.

One of my favorite moments is when the narrator mentions "one third of a million gallons". Ah, those were the days.

Just getting back to this and starting to watch love the nostalgic look back....

It reminded me I also wanted to mention these NASA shuttle high-speed pad-cam videos with commentary... also some pretty cool shots from a bygone era:

-sc

• Love
Reactions: JB47394
It reminded me I also wanted to mention these NASA shuttle high-speed pad-cam videos with commentary... also some pretty cool shots from a bygone era:
Discovery is my shuttle. I saw it fly on return-to-flight after Challenger (STS-26). I saw it on the pad with Hubble loaded up (STS-31). I saw it on the back of a 747 while on its way to the Udvar Hazy museum out by Dulles Airport. I then saw it on display there.

It's the only shuttle that I've seen in person.

Very cool. Especially given what an incredible tool Hubble turned out to be (after surgery).

Regrettably never saw a shuttle launch in person... had a buddy that went to the final one, he said it was pretty amazing. I'm about 15 minutes from Udvar-Hazy, so have seen it there..., but never "live".

That Apollo 4 video was a cool watch. The narration of "educational" films from that era make me a bit nostalgic.

One of my favorite moments is when the narrator mentions "one third of a million gallons". Ah, those were the days.

The other fun one was the spelling out of the F-1's "One and one half million pounds of thrust."

The other good geeky watching is the 6 part series Moon Machines.. all about the engineering and design of the equipment that made it all happen. Fun to see the 1000's of technical folks and their accomplishments behind the scenes highlighted, as opposed to the more typical focus on the astronauts.

Originally a Science Channel production, I think, but now available on YouTube. Definitely worth a watch... matter of fact it's been probably a decade+ since I've seen it... think I'll watch it again...