Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"anyone thinking about an (sic) VW id4 instead?"

Short answer:

No. At least not anyone in this house. VW has always been the cheap car for the beginners or those with no money. Why would that change?

I'd say that reputation is also true for Toyota (I would never buy one). That is until I bought a RAV4 Prime solely because I wanted something with range and a "neat" EV mode... but WOW that drivetrain is amazing.

I think the ID.Buzz will be VW's Cybertruck. Lots of people asked me about it when I owned an ID.4... it will sell like hotcakes and frustrate owner since it supposedly is based on MEB platform with the same ID.4 infotainment system... lol.

My personal take is the Mach-E is the "best" EV with bad charging speeds, a poor charging network, iffy suspension, mediocre efficiency, and is terrible-no-good in cold climates (no heat pump). It has all modern car features and near top of class features: large screen, BlueCruise, excellent audio, MagneRide, 99 kWh battery.

I've never driven the Mach-E, but it's always been my favorite EV on paper. I think it has the best styling of all the SUV-type EVs. I also love the huge 15" screen w/CarPlay. And the real-world range (at least in decent weather) makes it a very capable long-distance driver. Alex on Auto's tested his in California.. and was able to do 274 miles while cruising at 70mph with the AWD + Extended battery combo. The MYLR achieved only 244 on the exact same test, riding exactly along behind the MME and swapping places every hour to make sure the test was equally fair with no drafting cheats.

I do 99% of my charging at home. And the furthest I *need* to drive is about 250 miles away from my house.. so Im fine with EA's charging network. Any further drive than that and I'm honestly flying. I guess part of the reason why I'm still partially enamored with the MME, is because I couldn't find one to test drive before buying my Model Y. If I could have test-driven the MME, after test driving the Model Y there is a good chance I would have bought the MME instead. The AWD + Extended battery was essentially the same price as my MYSR plus all its options.. and the MME still qualified for the $7,500 tax credit making it a no-brainer winner on paper atleast.

That said my MYSR has overachieved in every possible category. Including real-world range. I just took a completely unexpected 300mile trip on Monday after work.. and was able to do the entire trip in exactly 5 hours & 25 mins.. which includes two very quick charging sessions (1st stop for 9mins, 2nd stop for 7mins). That I could drive a standard range Tesla.. that far, charge it that quickly.. and do the entire thing on a complete whim.. with absolutely no planning.. is a testament to just how well Tesla has nailed the entire EV experience. They are without a doubt the top of the EV food chain.

The Model Y seats are super comfortable, the acceleration puts a smile on my face every time (recently found out my MYSR has the more powerful 990 rear motor out of the MYP), the OTA updates are avg 2x a month, and the beautiful red paint, white interior + black wheels still turn a lot of heads everywhere I go. I will never, not complain about losing real blind-spot monitoring w/mirror LED, rear-cross traffic alerts, and CarPlay.. all features I sorely miss from my 2018 CRV every time I drive my Y. And its a shame because I would consider the car perfect for my needs with just those 3 additions. Regardless.. at this point, I would only trade it for an Austin built MYP w/4680 structured battery pack.

**FYI** just read that Tesla increased prices by $1,000 across the board. So looks like I'm keeping this '21 MYSR forever! lol

Last edited:
"anyone thinking about an (sic) VW id4 instead?"

Short answer:

No. At least not anyone in this house. VW has always been the cheap car for the beginners or those with no money. Why would that change?
I couldn't disagree more. 50% of the reason my wife was so hell-bent on the ID.4 was the absolutely awesome experience we had with her 2018 Atlas. When we purchased that car new in November 2017.. and it absolutely blew away every other 3-row crossover on the market.

In the same weekend, we test-drove the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner + Highlander, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Chevy Transverse, and a Buick Enclave. The Atlas was flat out bigger, better, and cheaper than all of its competitors. It had 98cu/ft of cargo room, 4 USB ports, 115W 120V outlet, 8" touchscreen with CarPlay/Android Auto, digital LCD drivers dash/cockpit, panoramic sunroof, LED headlights & turn signals, built-in window shades, remote start, a hands-free power liftgate, all the latest driver assistance tech (ACC, LKAS, blindspot monitoring, rear traffic cross alerts w/auto braking, front collision detection w/auto braking, auto high beams, etc).. and one of the probably the most UNDER rated feature ever.. (alteast for new parents).. the sliding middle row seats both fold forward & tilts forward!! Meaning you don't even never have to remove the car seat for someone to easily get in/out the 3rd row. Here's a video of it in action:

Speaking of the 3rd row it also was the most combined legroom. I'm 6'3" 260lbs and fit back there very comfortably. It felt like an actual spaceship.. and made everything else feel like a dinosaur. We bought it for $38k.. drove it for 4+ years and 50,000 miles with no issues.. traded it for $33k. It's hands down one of the best vehicle ownership experiences either of us have ever had. And it made both of us big fans of the brand. The only reason I chose the CRV over the Tiguan a year later.. because I commuting 100miles to work daily and was sold on the 30mpg avg.

Does Tesla not have front collision warning and avoidance? I would assume it’s more advanced.
It has the front collision and it works awesome. I cannot tell you how many times I've glanced down at my phone and my Model Y has beeped at my 3x times very quickly.. meaning I'm about to run into the back of somebody lol. They absolutely nailed that feature.

The feature that's missing is REAR cross-traffic alerts. This is most useful when backing out of a parking space.. in a crowded parking lot.. and some idiot comes flying down the lane and almost runs into you. Not only would the CRV automatically stop if it detected rear cross-traffic.. but it would also show arrows on the rearview camera monitoring to show you which way that traffic is coming from.

I cannot even explain how awesome it is. Here is a video of it in action, so you know exactly what I'm talking about.. and why its definitely missing on Teslas:

Teslas do have ultra-sonic parking sensors which help measure the distance to a stationary object.. like a wall when backing into a garage or a pole when backing into a parking spot. But they still lack the rear cross-traffic radar sensors.. which is what detects a car coming perpendicular as you are reversing out of a parking spot.

Last edited:
It has the front collision and it works awesome. I cannot tell you how many times I've glanced down at my phone and my Model Y has beeped at my 3x times very quickly.. meaning I'm about to run into the back of somebody lol. They absolutely nailed that feature.

The feature that's missing is REAR cross-traffic alerts. This is most useful when backing out of a parking space.. in a crowded parking lot.. and some idiot comes flying down the lane and almost runs into you. Not only would the CRV automatically stop if it detected rear cross-traffic.. but it would also show arrows on the rearview camera monitoring to show you which way that traffic is coming from.

I cannot even explain how awesome it is. Here is a video of it in action, so you know exactly what I'm talking about.. and why its definitely missing on Teslas:

Teslas do have ultra-sonic parking sensors which help measure the distance to a stationary object.. like a wall when backing into a garage or parking spot. But they still lacking the rear cross-traffic radar sensors.. that detect a car coming perpendicular when reversing out of a parking spot.
Awesome explanation. Hopefully it gets added in the future software update.

I test drove my 2022 Pro S AWD order the same day I picked up my Mach-E GTPE. Both were ordered 10 months ago. Annoying they arrived on the same day.

I have to say the ID.4 suspension is butter smooth (even better than I remembered when I owned one in 2021) and made think how far Tesla and Ford are away from a good everyday SUV with their overly firm suspensions.

I declined it because at $52K this EV is crazy overpriced for what it offered and the haptic buttons gave me nightmares on how unpleasant futzing with the controls at night was. A $65K Model Y is overpriced also but can be justified because the drivetrain is reliable and efficient. Resale is like a Toyota - high.

A lower trim ID.4 is where the value is at. I’d say the Chevy Bolt is a great contender too. I test drove one a day before and found it acceptable as a city commuter even with the bouncy suspension. Interior was quite nice also.

F2710BFA-667C-4AE7-938A-21FD177DC1A5.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I test drove my 2022 Pro S AWD order the same day I picked up my Mach-E GTPE. Both were ordered 10 months ago. Annoying they arrived on the same day.

I have to say the ID.4 suspension is butter smooth (even better than I remembered when I owned one in 2021) and made think how far Tesla and Ford are away from a good everyday SUV with their overly firm suspensions.

I declined it because at $52K this EV is crazy overpriced for what it offered and the haptic buttons gave me nightmares on how unpleasant futzing with the controls at night was. A $65K Model Y is overpriced also but can be justified because the drivetrain is reliable and efficient. Resale is like a Toyota - high.

A lower trim ID.4 is where the value is at. I’d say the Chevy Bolt is a great contender too. I test drove one a day before and found it acceptable as a city commuter even with the bouncy suspension. Interior was quite nice also.

View attachment 833120

You declined the Mach-E GTPE or the ID.4?

I have a 2021 7 Seat MYLR which I love, but just put in an order for an ID.4 for a second family car.

Last edited:
Maybe the first Audi MEB platform-based EV will correct some of the issues with the VW version (capacitive touch in particular)
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron: The electric crossover has been worth the wait

Have to admit to always liking Audi's but am leery of long term ownership costs (maintenance/depreciation specifically).

Our family has owned quite a few various Audi's over the decades including the E-Tron.

My Tesla's have been far more reliable. Not that Audi is horrible. Audi parts cost, service costs, and depreciation are not great though. Worse than my Tesla's for sure.

We still have the E-Tron though; but not my preference.

I "would" consider the less expensive all EV Audi's coming down the pipe.

I got an Amazing Trade-In with Tesla for my Audi A7. Heck it needed $4K in service and they didn't even look at it.

I suppose there's a reason VW EV's are so poorly received world wide. It makes Diess go huh? It's so bad they pushed Diess out lol. Though if you read the casual press you would think differently with all the VW will catch and beat Tesla FUD out there.

Great video !!!

So VW sales are tanking, fire the CEO.

Instead of Tesla, who was triming 10% of the workplace to make more pressure on the employees to produce even further.

I suppose there's a reason VW EV's are so poorly received world wide. It makes Diess go huh? It's so bad they pushed Diess out lol. Though if you read the casual press you would think differently with all the VW will catch and beat Tesla FUD out there.

What's most telling here IMO is yet another ICE manufacturer is failing to pivot and ship meaningful quantities of vehicles despite there being no question of high customer demand. The world turned upside down due to Covid, but it sure doesn't seem like the only variable plaguing VAG and Ford specifically in terms of being able to meet demand.

I passed a new ID.4 one of my neighbors
Must have bought this week. Whatever that means.
Out of pure curiosity, I checked a few of the Puget Sound VW dealers for ID.4 availability. Every single ID.4 listed has a "reserved" notation, most are still "in transit" listings.

"Hey there potential customer we'd love to sell you a car but nope, get in a huge line of backorders, have a good day!"

It defies logic.

Last edited:
Great video !!!

So VW sales are tanking, fire the CEO.

Instead of Tesla, who was triming 10% of the workplace to make more pressure on the employees to produce even further.
It's a little more complicated with than that with Diess' departure, but essentially VAG didn't like the direction he was pushing VW which was to become more like Tesla then not.

Reactions: MrWattson