Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Buy a Used M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found a number of used Model 3's out there on a few car sites. I've noticed most if not all so far don't mention the battery range or what software is installed. My question is has anyone had any luck buying used vs new? I did notice Tesla have some used inventory but with delivery costs it puts them at or above the price of new. I'm still very much leaning towards new due to warranty however used is tempting if they are long range and/or have FSD.

I bought my M3 used, but, in the interest of full disclosure I should note that I bought from a family member. My model 3, "Woden", has been absolutely incredible so far (I bought him at the end of 2018; he was first registered in Aug 2017). When I bought him, he had 17,000+ miles on him, and his battery seems to be in great shape. This summer, we went on a 3,500 mile trip through the western United States, through hot temps (Las Vegas was 105°) and high altitudes (13,000+ ft) with no problems at all. I have had minor maintenance issues; the window motor and charging door release had to be replaced. Tesla came to my workplace and completed the work, all under warranty. Woden is long-range RWD, premium interior, FSD.

Reactions: George75
I bought my M3 used, but, in the interest of full disclosure I should note that I bought from a family member. My model 3, "Woden", has been absolutely incredible so far (I bought him at the end of 2018; he was first registered in Aug 2017). When I bought him, he had 17,000+ miles on him, and his battery seems to be in great shape. This summer, we went on a 3,500 mile trip through the western United States, through hot temps (Las Vegas was 105°) and high altitudes (13,000+ ft) with no problems at all. I have had minor maintenance issues; the window motor and charging door release had to be replaced. Tesla came to my workplace and completed the work, all under warranty. Woden is long-range RWD, premium interior, FSD.
Nice, that's the way to go if it's an option! I'm glad to hear it's been fun and relayable vehicle for you.

I think I'm going to stick with new. I found a used M3 LR RWD going for $42,000 on one of the big used car sites but another user was still signed into the car. The sales people didn't know anything about these cars or how to sign the person out and couldn't tell me anything beyond LR RWD and that's it. I'm afraid of buying a used M3 having it arrive on a flatbed without a charge and no way to sign the other person out of their account on the vehicle.

I looked at used briefly... challenge is exactly what you said, how is it equipped? Range? I wound up taking the VIN from a used one I found to the local Tesla store for more info. It was a 2018 LR RWD with 10k on it for 45k. After speaking the to SA I found I could get a AWD LR for 48k plus get the 1875.00 rebate... So new for me! Plus I was one of the lucky ones who got the free upgrades. The 3rd party dealers really don't know what they have or how to price it. Unless a smoking deal appears I would just get new.

With the way the pricing has dropped on these, the independent dealers with used ones likely paid more than they can now sell the car for.
In almost every example I have seen they are way overpriced, don't factor in the rebates you can get with new in addition to not providing the exact specifics about the car (AP, EAP, FSD, etc...)
I looked for awhile in hopes I might find a good deal on an 18 with EAP.

Telsa themselves does not seem very interested in selling their used 3's either. They would much rather you buy a new one.
Outside of a couple of times when they listed them cheaply the normal prices online at Telsa are not competitive compared to New plus rebates. In addition, you need to pickup the car where it is or pay a $2000 delivery fee. Oh did I mention you can never test drive or even view a used one in person so have to pay and pray.

All signs point to new is the way to go.

That is the issue with a used M3, those sites have no idea what the thing is, the sales people I've talked to didn't know that someone could be logged into the vehicle which makes me very uncomfortable. I had found a LR RWD going for $40k which seems too good to be true which it always is, I'd be afraid it'll arrive dead and I'd have to charge for a day to figure out what I have. I found another site had a SR no options listed on it going for $45,000! To be fair the SR was almost brand new but even with FSD on it that's new car money for "used" and no tax credit. I think those sites are going to get burnt on Tesla's however their stock of used Tesla's is selling and fast it seems.

A used M3 from Tesla isn't even an option. $2,000 to deliver a used car I've not seen or inspected? No tax credit and they are priced very close to a new vehicle makes it obvious Tesla only wants to sell new. Which is understandable. I did ask the local Tesla store for a price on their demo unit. They discounted only $600 or $700 for mileage. $0 taken off to account for the thousands of people that have been in it, driving it, touching it, scuffing and scratching it up and beating on it like a rented mule.

New is the way I'll go hopefully they'll replenish stock after the end of quarter rush and I won't be sat waiting for weeks on end.

With the way the pricing has dropped on these, the independent dealers with used ones likely paid more than they can now sell the car for.
In almost every example I have seen they are way overpriced, don't factor in the rebates you can get with new in addition to not providing the exact specifics about the car (AP, EAP, FSD, etc...)
I looked for awhile in hopes I might find a good deal on an 18 with EAP.

Telsa themselves does not seem very interested in selling their used 3's either. They would much rather you buy a new one.
Outside of a couple of times when they listed them cheaply the normal prices online at Telsa are not competitive compared to New plus rebates. In addition, you need to pickup the car where it is or pay a $2000 delivery fee. Oh did I mention you can never test drive or even view a used one in person so have to pay and pray.

All signs point to new is the way to go.

I too am curious why Tesla is seemingly OK to not want to move their Used inventory out.. here in Southern California they are sitting on 40+ Long Range Used and not one of them reflects a fair depreciation. The one I can do a direct Apples-to-Apples comparison ('19, AWD, Wht / Blk int - 1.6k miles) is 4% lower than a brand new model. That is BEFORE you factor in the State/Fed credits here..

So I'm just curious what their logic is.. They could sell them at these prices before w/o much delay when they had little to no New in stocks.. That has dramatically changed (at least here in California.)

I too am curious why Tesla is seemingly OK to not want to move their Used inventory out.. here in Southern California they are sitting on 40+ Long Range Used and not one of them reflects a fair depreciation. The one I can do a direct Apples-to-Apples comparison ('19, AWD, Wht / Blk int - 1.6k miles) is 4% lower than a brand new model. That is BEFORE you factor in the State/Fed credits here..

So I'm just curious what their logic is.. They could sell them at these prices before w/o much delay when they had little to no New in stocks.. That has dramatically changed (at least here in California.)

I think Telsa's logic is their stock goes up and down based on new deliveries. It doesn't move based on Used sales. They don't need the cash, the need to maintain their high valuation.

The one thing I don't get is how the used ones are selling from Tesla or from the 3rd party dealers? I think it is undereducated buyers still thinking there is a huge wait list for these cars and they cannot buy new as easily as they can and/or no knowledge about the available rebates if they were to buy new.