Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else abusing right rear tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we love our model3. We have had roadster, model S and model X and by far the one everyone in family prefers to drive is model 3. The car turns so tightly that on taking a right turn I have scraped the right rear tire rim/aero hubcap on the curb. Ok call me a bad driver but have never in 40 years done this before and managed to do it twice. 3 other drivers in the family have done it once. Have had the car 5 months now and now that we are aware, no recurrences for the last 3 months. Will replace rim and hubcap now. Anyone else done this? At least we got it out of our system before our AWD version arrives

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG
Rented a 3 on Turo & managed to do this within 1000 ft of the pickup point, not too bad, but definitely felt it. But right rear was already totally rashed out...from previous drivers, presumably. Didn't do it again for the rest of the rental.

we love our model3. We have had roadster, model S and model X and by far the one everyone in family prefers to drive is model 3. The car turns so tightly that on taking a right turn I have scraped the right rear tire rim/aero hubcap on the curb. Ok call me a bad driver but have never in 40 years done this before and managed to do it twice. 3 other drivers in the family have done it once. Have had the car 5 months now and now that we are aware, no recurrences for the last 3 months. Will replace rim and hubcap now. Anyone else done this? At least we got it out of our system before our AWD version arrives

Did the exact same thing, had a driver tailgating me and I wanted to make a right turn in a driveway I have pulled into hundreds of times at our favorite restaurant, I speed up to get a gap and made a quick turn in the driveway to clip the curb with right rear, heard the metal on curb and cringed!
Already touched this up with paint but uuuuggghhh!

Wheel Touch Up Paint for Tesla Sonic Silver 21 19 Silver Touchup Model S X 3 Pen | eBay

x17+wQnmQuSZsWwrXR4oYA.jpg

Speaking with another owner, this definitely sounds like a common problem. I've hit mine twice this past weekend - I've got a touchup pen enroute to see if I can't fix the visibility of my curb rash.

His comment was that these rims poke out quite a bit more than the tire, whereas on a lot of cars the tire itself pokes out more and usually catches the curb first. Might be on to something.

Just FYI - you may find a local mobile wheel rim repair expert who can repair the damage. I've done it twice and each time it cost $100 to render the damage invisible - not bad considering the cost of rims.
waiting to wear out the tires first then on to ps4's in 245/40/19's and hopefully gain just a hair or wheel protection with the wider tires and 3.9" vs.3.7" sidewall height, at that time I plan to have wheels repaired and powder coated a different color, dark grey metallic maybe? not sure yet?
oops! just noticed you were quoting someone else, my bad!

My wife did it as well, I got a quote for $140 to repair it, but I just bought a whole new rim from Tesla for only $200 (18"). I made the rashy rim into a spare and mounted a $75 general tire to it in case I ever need it. I was really surprised the rim was only $200. Good deal!

If there's a habit of rim curb rashes from many drivers, I would suggest looking into something like RimBlades' RimSavers and the like designs. This would potentially save your rims.

As for current damaged rim, get it repaired rather than replaced, usually less than $200. More cost effective for something this small. Not worth paying a premium to get a brand new rim. Unless you have free money laying around...