Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any wheel powder-coat shops in GTA one can recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in powder-coating my 21 inch staggered turbines to matte black (from grey). Any shops in the GTA that anybody has used? I know I can easily plasti-dip in my garage with the tires on but powder-coating seems like a more resilient solution (I feel like the plasti-dip would chip too easily). Also - I am assuming the rubber has to be removed for powder-coating?

Thanks!

I am interested in powder-coating my 21 inch staggered turbines to matte black (from grey). Any shops in the GTA that anybody has used? I know I can easily plasti-dip in my garage with the tires on but powder-coating seems like a more resilient solution (I feel like the plasti-dip would chip too easily). Also - I am assuming the rubber has to be removed for powder-coating?

Thanks!
I plan on powder coating mine ( I got the 20 inch slipstreams from a Model X) at Union Rim. I haven't used them before but I hear they do good work. Perhaps we can get a volume discount lol

Powder coating is of several magnitudes much better than plasti dip. Its a chemical coating process that binds the paint to the metal. Much much more resilient. The down side though is that even though its harder to chip compared to paint, if it does chip, its more expensive to fix compared to painting the rims. I still think its better though as I had the wheels on my previous ICE car powder coated and its extremely hard if done properly.

Reactions: JamstationP85D
Thanks @SilverGS . As an FYI. I am looking to replicate this wheel/stance that @FlatSix911 did. I have the spacers and lowering links ready. My car is black with chrome delete so I think it will look great.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 2.44.21 PM.png

Thanks @SilverGS . As an FYI. I am looking to replicate this wheel/stance that @FlatSix911 did. I have the spacers and lowering links ready. My car is black with chrome delete so I think it will look great.
That looks absolutely stunning... as a show car. :) Can you daily drive it like that? That's my main concern as I deliberately bought mine to daily drive, potholes, snow etc

After going through the modding craze on my last car, I've vowed to never go through that again as it made the car impossible to drive eventually...

IMG_3787.jpg
IMG_6823.jpg
IMG_9238-X3.jpg
IMG_9215-X3.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning... as a show car. :) Can you daily drive it like that? That's my main concern as I deliberately bought mine to daily drive, potholes, snow etc

After going through the modding craze on my last car, I've vowed to never go through that again as it made the car impossible to drive eventually...

View attachment 507855 View attachment 507856 View attachment 507857 View attachment 507859

Sweet ride!!! I am coming from muscle cars (still have an SRT8 in the driveway as it was the only fast car that would fit 3 car seats across the back seat.. haha)

WIth the lowering links it just moves everything off by one. I ride at 'low' 100% now so I will ride at 'normal' with the links installed to get the existing ride height. My new 'low' will be very low (like that pic) and is more for show or smooth road/highways cruising. That blue S also has a full skirt package. I do have a rear carbon diffuser on order and may look for a very thin front air diffuser as well. I have yet to install my replacement front bumper to make it look like yours from TSportline so I will see how that looks first.

Reactions: SilverGS
Sweet ride!!! I am coming from muscle cars (still have an SRT8 in the driveway as it was the only fast car that would fit 3 seats across the back seat.. haha)

WIth the lowering links it just moves everything off by one. I ride at 'low' 100% now so I will ride at 'normal' with the links installed to get the existing ride height. My new 'low' will be very low (like that pic) and is more for show or smooth road/highways cruising. That blue S also has a full skirt package. I do have a rear carbon diffuser on order and may look for a very thin front air diffuser as well. I have yet to install my replacement front bumper to make it look like yours from TSportline so I will see how that looks first.
Thanks man
It sounds like you have a good plan going forward and will be able to drive it year round. I'm just too old to do any major mods. I'm only going to go 20's in the summer with 245/275 tires and powdercoating them gunmetal. And maybe a chrome delete.

I modded the Lexus to be a muscle car lol. Custom Exhaust, higher final drive gear ratio, LSD from a Supra, High speed torque converter etc

Here's a video - you can hear it towards the end as I drive by towards the end.

Thanks man
It sounds like you have a good plan going forward and will be able to drive it year round. I'm just too old to do any major mods. I'm only going to go 20's in the summer with 245/275 tires and powdercoating them gunmetal. And maybe a chrome delete.

I modded the Lexus to be a muscle car lol. Custom Exhaust, higher final drive gear ratio, LSD from a Supra, High speed torque converter etc

Here's a video - you can hear it towards the end as I drive by towards the end.

Certainly doesnt sound like a Lexus. haha.. and what is age?? I have 3 teenagers and one of my kids bought my SRT8!

Certainly doesnt sound like a Lexus. haha.. and what is age?? I have 3 teenagers and one of my kids bought my SRT8!
Its a 99 and has only 150K km on it. It's in mint condition, never winter driven, still feels like a new car as I babied it to no end. Tried selling it just before I got the Tesla, but I was getting crazy low ball offers and I got tired and now its just taking up space in my garage.

Thanks!

Had these done in November at Union Rim. OEM 19" Sports. Three stage Hyper-Black. They do really nice
work:

Union Rim video:

AD9DE011-004F-4496-9E38-F3D20314FB27_1_201_a.jpeg

36E07DB0-044A-425D-8C30-3E78500DAE48_1_201_a.jpeg

92D439A9-5BC4-4E97-A9EE-FE8AD51BEE86_1_201_a.jpeg

View attachment 507853

Two things... I replied to another thread with THAT car and IMO, that is nicest S I've ever seen. Great car to emulate!!!

Second... I powder coated mine with a guy in Brampton. Here is a pic: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/2eda426a-9a92-4bb4-af1f-2d501241952f-jpeg.414457/

I did mine at Quy's Coating. Price was reasonable (I think around $700 for the set) and turnaround time was exactly as promised. Quy's Coating

Some more pics of the rims before I put them back on the car: Powder Coating Wheels - GTA

Reactions: JamstationP85D
@03DSG They look fantastic! How many days did it take to get the work done.

They had the wheels over a week but I told them I wasn't in a rush. I'm sure its negotiable. The 3 stage takes more time as well with the gloss black PC base followed by hyper silver automotive paint on the wheel face then the tinted PC clear on top. Mine were $720 all in ($160/wheel plus $20/wheel for dismount/mount and road force balanced with black weights to match the black barrel). Single stage powder coat would be faster and I believe $120/wheel + $20/wheel.

• Informative