Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reports of model 3 caught on fire by itself ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been tracking and I have not come across any Model 3 fires whatsoever. The engineering on this battery is simply great.

Somehow I doubt this would not instantly be a top headline across multiple news sites.

I think this is incredibly impressive given the number of 3s on the road.

None that I know of but in the US 400 ICE cars will catch on fire today, and tomorrow, and the day after that and......

OP please ignore irrational posts like this.

There are 263m vehicles register in the USA the average being 11-12 years old where neglect, rust and loss of structural integrity, accidents and a whole host of other factors make rational comparison complicated. Of those "400 a day" we have no idea how many are electrical fires on new cars parked in a garage(BMW has had this issue) or how many are 20yo beaters where someone idiotically replaced a high pressure fuel line with a rubber hose.

BEV have only been on the road in any number a very brief time, trying to directly compare fire frequently of a 2yo BEV fleet to an ICE fleet averaging over 11yo is a lesson in intellectual dishonesty.

Now if folks say no know cases of Model 3 burning except from outside ignition sources, great.
Far as parked and lighting up, this has happened to ICE with ELECTRICAL system problems, the gas tanks don't spontaneously combust. Guess what, your BEV still has electrical systems and it is entirely plausible that as they age we see some fires occur be it corrosion causing hot connections, wiring damage or who knows what else.

All that said concerns about catching fire charging should be focused more on the electrical supply to the car not on the car.

OP please ignore irrational posts like this.....

....and 1 anecdotal EV fire shouldn't make all the national news headlines and justify hyper "all EVs are dangerous fire traps" hysteria. That is exactly what is happening. OVER amplifying an EV fire while totally ignoring 1000's of ICE fires (unless it is a large number [pile up] with lots of deaths).

Last edited:
This JUST happened about 2 miles from my house. You will only know about it because I'm posting it. If it were a Tesla it would make all the news with all the FUD accusations by tomorrow.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

OP please ignore irrational posts like this.

There are 263m vehicles register in the USA the average being 11-12 years old where neglect, rust and loss of structural integrity, accidents and a whole host of other factors make rational comparison complicated. Of those "400 a day" we have no idea how many are electrical fires on new cars parked in a garage(BMW has had this issue) or how many are 20yo beaters where someone idiotically replaced a high pressure fuel line with a rubber hose.

BEV have only been on the road in any number a very brief time, trying to directly compare fire frequently of a 2yo BEV fleet to an ICE fleet averaging over 11yo is a lesson in intellectual dishonesty.

Now if folks say no know cases of Model 3 burning except from outside ignition sources, great.
Far as parked and lighting up, this has happened to ICE with ELECTRICAL system problems, the gas tanks don't spontaneously combust. Guess what, your BEV still has electrical systems and it is entirely plausible that as they age we see some fires occur be it corrosion causing hot connections, wiring damage or who knows what else.

All that said concerns about catching fire charging should be focused more on the electrical supply to the car not on the car.

Here you go - read up:

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...ports/Fact-sheets/vehiclefactsheet.ashx?la=en

49% mechanical issues
23% electrical
8% intentional
3% accident (very surprising!)
5% exposure to other fire

287,000 Vehicle fires annually
263,000,000 gas passenger vehicles in US
.00109% chance of a gas vehicle catching fire

Tesla fires: appx 20 since 2013 (avg 3.5 per year)
Total Teslas on the road: 532,000 (end of 2018)
Let’s assume all 20 of those happened in 2018 ...
.000037594% chance of a Tesla catching fire

Elon is right. Orders of magnitude safer.

Those pushing the ICE are firehazards are ignoring the NUMBERS AND AGE of ICE.

Wiki claims 3.4 EV per thousand people in the USA which would be 1.1million out of the 260m total vehicles on the road in the USA but then you have to consider the average age of a BEV given Model 3 numbers and newness the average BEV age is what maybe 2 years compared to 11+ for vehicles overall.

So ignoring age as a factor just given numbers if there are 400 car fires a day you would be looking at a EV fire every other day if they caught fire at the same frequency. I don't think we see that many EV fires, but again I think age, neglect, shoddy repairs are all factors that don't come into play on EVs yet.

My HONESTY opens people's eyes to EVs I was at work today and had great conversations with two people who I have helped convince EVs are the future. If I went and spouted numbers like 400 ICE cars catch fire a day but my BEV didn't people are going to dismiss my points as they should. Comparing the fire frequencies of ICE vs. BEV without talking how many of each are on the road and admitting age, neglect and such are likely contributing factors is intellectually dishonest.

Those pushing the ICE are firehazards are ignoring the NUMBERS AND AGE of ICE.

Wiki claims 3.4 EV per thousand people in the USA which would be 1.1million out of the 260m total vehicles on the road in the USA but then you have to consider the average age of a BEV given Model 3 numbers and newness the average BEV age is what maybe 2 years compared to 11+ for vehicles overall.

So ignoring age as a factor just given numbers if there are 400 car fires a day you would be looking at a EV fire every other day if they caught fire at the same frequency. I don't think we see that many EV fires, but again I think age, neglect, shoddy repairs are all factors that don't come into play on EVs yet.

My HONESTY opens people's eyes to EVs I was at work today and had great conversations with two people who I have helped convince EVs are the future. If I went and spouted numbers like 400 ICE cars catch fire a day but my BEV didn't people are going to dismiss my points as they should. Comparing the fire frequencies of ICE vs. BEV without talking how many of each are on the road and admitting age, neglect and such are likely contributing factors is intellectually dishonest.

http://tkolb.net/FireReports/US_VehFirTrePat2003-2007.pdf

Age is much, much less of a contributing factor to anything on an EV than an ICE vehicle. Furthermore, the stats show that car fires are most prevalent in vehicles 1-8 years old (see the link above, Page 19). Given that we've had Model S's on the road for 7 years now... we're right in the midst of the average, and yet, we're still orders of magnitude away from the frequency rate gas vehicles have.

Why is that? See Page 21. We don't have engines, or running gear, or fuel tanks or fuel lines. Only wheels from that list, and even there, we're using high precision calipers and better than average brake and wheel components.

"Fires started most often in the engine, running gear or wheel area, but fuel tank or fuel line fires caused a disproportionate share of the deaths.
Almost two-thirds (64%) of the highway vehicle fires began in the engine, running gear, or wheel area. Table 2.11 shows that 35% of the civilian fire deaths, 46% of the civilian fire injuries, and 53% of the direct property damage resulted from fires that originated in this type of area. Only 2% of the highway vehicle fires started in the fuel tank or fuel line area, but these fires caused 18% of the associated deaths."

I only expect the fire risk of EVs to continue to get BETTER than today's numbers.... and the statistics show that EVs are orders of magnitude safer already. Period.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tysto and CarlK