Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any New York/Connecticut/New Jersey Tesla owners out there? Ours comes ?May 26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I think many Volt users will discover after a few years how little gas they actually use and will get used to the idea of plugging in and living with a pure EV. Especially when more mainstream EVs start having 200+ mile range 4-5 years from now (just a guess).

On Sunday I drove up to Santa Monica (with some stop overs), I charged up at a mall in Santa Monica but it only provided 11 miles of juice from Orange County. I ended up with 9 miles in range mode to spare. I almost crapped my pants hoping I would get home without running out of juice. Having an ICE motor to get you where you need to go is a pretty good insurance policy sometimes.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    154.6 KB · Views: 112
...might be a good insurance policy but the premium (extra cost / pollutin' ICE / extra maintenance / et al) is way too high imo...

Better planning is a far more effective...no insurance policy required.

On Sunday I drove up to Santa Monica (with some stop overs), I charged up at a mall in Santa Monica but it only provided 11 miles of juice from Orange County. I ended up with 9 miles in range mode to spare. I almost crapped my pants hoping I would get home without running out of juice. Having an ICE motor to get you where you need to go is a pretty good insurance policy sometimes.

There is always the LA store. You pretty much have to pass it to do that trip. If they are open, a 70 bump goes a long way for an OC trip. I did the same one with 3 miles to spare. Now I always have the Tesla stop in my back pocket.

And yes, they should have a charger outside for 24/7 access like the Newport store.

...might be a good insurance policy but the premium (extra cost / pollutin' ICE / extra maintenance / et al) is way too high imo...

Better planning is a far more effective...no insurance policy required.

Might be true but sometimes its impossible to plan your trip when its spur of the moment....Having an extra ICE is far less polluting than having to be flat bedded home.

There is always the LA store. You pretty much have to pass it to do that trip. If they are open, a 70 bump goes a long way for an OC trip. I did the same one with 3 miles to spare. Now I always have the Tesla stop in my back pocket.

And yes, they should have a charger outside for 24/7 access like the Newport store.

Funny you mention the LA store, I pulled up to the LA store and the lady told me they were in the process of closing up for the day so I could not charge there, she told me to go to the Nissan Dealership. I went to the Nissan dealership and the manager told me that I could not charge there as he had 5 or 6 Leafs that needed to be charged. Ended up going to the Broadway station in Santa Monica. I parked for an hour had some dinner but did not get much added mileage.

Planing is difficult for a few perhaps...although I've never run out of gas in 35 years of driving...my Roadster's always plugged in when not in use so I'm leaving home for these "spur of the moment trips" with over 300 kms of juice...I guess your "spur of the moment trips" must be longer than mine...

Might be true but sometimes its impossible to plan your trip when its spur of the moment....Having an extra ICE is far less polluting than having to be flat bedded home.

Hey, just want to wake up this thread. Are we still on for Sunday September 18th? I'm looking to make a weekend of it.

** moved the thread to Events.

Yes! Hudson Highlands Road Rally Sunday Sept 18th starting at 10 at West Point! About 75 miles of fun!

So far it is you, me, and Ian, but more will join as we get closer. And maybe Tesla will send a along a demo car or an S!

Sept 18th, 2011. 10 am! Be there!

There is a hotel at West Point called Hotel Thayer-- it might be easiest to stay there, and charge overnight..... and start out bright & early and rested!
West Point Hotels, Hudson Valley- The Thayer Hotel- Hudson River, Upstate New York, NY

1. Meet up at West Point: The engineering dept is very excited at West Point, so we'll give the cadets a thrill when we are waiting around to meet up--heck, if they can fly helicopters, I should let them take Torquemunda #1316 (Torquey to his friends) out for a spin around campus. And maybe Ian's wife and I can arrange to give the cadets some fabulous treats for breakfast.
Once we are assembled-- 3 or 5 or 17 of us!--
2. up the thrilling Storm King Highway on the West side of the Hudson (maybe twice, it's that good, )
3. a slow drive on the Newburgh waterfront for the "oohs and aaahs" from brunching yuppies on the Hudson,
4. then over the forgettable Newburgh/Beacon Bridge,
5. down Rte 9 D along the Hudson stopping at Cold Spring waterfront/Park for more oohs & aaahs,
6. then down over the Bear Mountain Bridge going West, up Bear Mtn, (slowly at the top so everyone can see!) then regen down the Mountain, over the Bear Mtn Bridge going East
7. Then up & over the Goat Track 202/6 (stopping at the scenic viewpt and going slowly through Peeksill park & Croton Pt Park); we can and at the Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Scarborough for lunch and/or drinks. (BTW This Beyonce video was just shot at my club-- ignore all the leaping about in lingerie, and around 1:45 you start to see how pretty the club is-- Beyonce dancing around the 16th hole! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHp2KgyQUFk&feature=player_embedded )

You can charge before at my house or Ian's on a 240, before or after-- he is in Bergen Cty, I am in Westchester.

Last edited:
We would be very interested in coming. We would need to arrive the night before and would need a full charge overnight though. We would also need to arrange for charging somewhere in NJ on the return trip..

And maybe Tesla will send a along a demo car or an S!

Speaking of model S, is anyone going to see the model S at Richards in Greenwich next week? From an email sent by Tesla a couple weeks ago:

Owner Sneak Preview:
Thursday, July 14th | 7pm - 9pm

Open House:
Friday, July 15th | 10am - 5pm
Saturday, July 16th | 10am - 5pm

Richards, Greenwich
359 Greenwich Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06830

We are planning on attending Thursday night.

Speaking of model S, is anyone going to see the model S at Richards in Greenwich next week? ... We are planning on attending Thursday night.

We are excited to see the model S even if the doors don't open (is that the case? I read that somewhere here I think). We'll probably only be there on Saturday; We would have preferred to get to the Owner Preview but it's a school night for us, makes it tricky. Even on Saturday we'll be in a convoy of EV+ICE.