Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Any harm with 0% HV Battery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
In week 3 of estimated 6 week wait for my 85 kWh reman HV battery replacement. My MS is in the Tesla Service Center lot. Picture is my MS at 0% SOC and Service Rep's response about risks of having 0% SOC. What should I look for after they replace my HV battery to see if leaving at 0% SOC harmed my car?

20221114_175335.jpg

...What should I look for after they replace my HV battery to see if leaving at 0% SOC harmed my car?...
O% soc would harm 2 things in your car:
1. High voltage battery
2. Low voltage battery

You will get another high voltage pack so #1 is not a problem.

Unless they keep your 12V battery charged, make sure you get a new one too.

They replaced my battery with 75% full. Drive from my house to SC. Back in 2 days. But it's sitting in service, no your problem. My SC always locks me out of looking at car. Battery issues are overwhelming the SC now, according to the blogs. RE manufacturing packs in Reno is getting way back logged. And Tesla is raising prices. I see other shops being overwhelmed by us folks with antique cars. 8 year warranty is running out on slot of cars now, and Tesla has no plan B.

Reactions: aerodyne and NV Ray
There will be no damage to your car. It is in service mode. They are aware it's at 0% they intentionally have to do it when replacing a damaged hv battery. I am guessing you have a shorted battery because the service manual calls for at least 50% discharge when a battery is being returned for remanufacture by ground and 30% by other means. 0% it's probably not just a worn battery.

The service mode tool kit has a battery discharge mode they put your car in. The car will go to sleep when the HV battery is totally depleted. Your 12v will be fine. It's how the discharge mode runs. They will also disconnect the 12v and put a new hv battery in after. You cant damage the hv battery if it's already damaged and being replaced.

Reactions: aerodyne and NV Ray