Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any happy camper here with the price cut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Moderator note:)

Thread for discussion on pricing is stickied here:

Please move all discussion on this topic to that thread

========================

Might get hate for this post but going to do it anyways.

enough of all these sour post about the new price cut. Any new happy camper took advantage of the new prices?welcome!

Wish I could convince my wife to replace her Prius prime for a M3. 😭

Last edited by a moderator:

Especially now, since the new Prius looks like a Model 3, and has a hatchback.

Can you charge at home? If so, this would be a no brainer for getting a Model 3.

2023 Prius .png

Well I am a happy camper. I just got my MY LR yesterday. I got burned in the 2019 Model 3 price adjustments, but then I did well when I got my 2020 Model X (in 2019), Tesla paid me MSRP for it in June of last year, when i got my Plaid X (reserved at old.price) and then I anticipated this cut and got a trade quote from Tesla for the Plaid at year end, which was high. So I just dumped the Plaid for the Y.

If you been around Tesla a while, it's a volatile ride. I think a lot of new people have come to the brand in the past 2 years, so they don't have the history to know how Tesla handles prices. I feel for them, I know that feeling from 2019. But it's Tesla. Now they know. Same with FSD, I had it on all cars before but now I know better :)

I think that, overall, the total happy campers will FAR outweigh the entitled cry babies. I ordered one yesterday myself in fact. I went into the local store to drive one of the new 2023's because I wanted to feel that new suspension in action before committing but they were beyond busy with deliveries and pre-scheduled test drive appointments. They had 22 brand now 2023's on the lot that ALL sold within 48hrs of that price discount.

As I was wandering around the packed showroom I was able to overhear pieces of conversations by the various people/couples/families. Every single one was clearly a first time EV owner based on the types of questions and conversations that were going on. I know that's a small sample size but I think this is a massively big step forward for the EV adoption rate.

Anyone who puts their slightly higher than normal new vehicle depreciation rate ahead of that is selfishly losing sight of what's important. Their opinion on the topic means little to me and reminds me a petulant spoiled child who didn't get their way. I hate to put it so bluntly but it's giving EV owners everywhere a bad name with the amount of unearned entitlement that is occupying the social media airwaves currently.

Soon enough they'll accept the reality that buying a car is NOT an investment (especially a brand new one) and those complaints will fade. What will be left is a large number of EV owners who will help to get the word out of how much better these things are for most ALL current ICE owners who don't even realize it. That's progress folks.

Tesla has cut some features out of their cars over this time. In talking about MY they deleted radar and more recently the USS. They also took away passenger lumbar adjustment. Tesla still has quality issues as well. The pricing in early 2021 was right. These cars are not 65 or 70k cars.

Reactions: FLRifleman
Tesla has cut some features out of their cars over this time. In talking about MY they deleted radar and more recently the USS. They also took away passenger lumbar adjustment. Tesla still has quality issues as well. The pricing in early 2021 was right. These cars are not 65 or 70k cars.
Let's not lose sight of all of the features that were previously option-for-a-fee that are now standard. In a time when every other manufacturer is nickel and diming buyers to death with endless options and upcharges Tesla is improving these options and then including them as standard equipment.

I recently ordered a new Ford F150 Lightning and the sheer number of options and upcharges was mind numbing. We're talking dozens upon dozens or variations and packages. It was so complex I legitimately wasn't even sure what several of them where, what they included or what they did. A Ford Lightning can be purchased anywhere from $40k to well over $100k based on options/features added alone. Same truck outside of options. Think about that for a moment juxtaposed to Tesla's lineup and list of features and options.

It's kind of crazy to me how some refuse to look at the situation holistically and only look for negative items to make their case. I've been a noted non-apologist (to say the least) for Tesla and some of it's actions but you have to give credit where credit us due.

Might get hate for this post but going to do it anyways.

enough of all these sour post about the new price cut. Any new happy camper took advantage of the new prices?welcome!

I'm honestly considering replacing my Prime with an M3P...

But probably won't. Car isn't giving me any problems and I've only had it 4yrs. Hard to justify getting rid of it. It's a good car, just slow.

Let's not lose sight of all of the features that were previously option-for-a-fee that are now standard. In a time when every other manufacturer is nickel and diming buyers to death with endless options and upcharges Tesla is improving these options and then including them as standard equipment.

I recently ordered a new Ford F150 Lightning and the sheer number of options and upcharges was mind numbing. We're talking dozens upon dozens or variations and packages. It was so complex I legitimately wasn't even sure what several of them where, what they included or what they did. A Ford Lightning can be purchased anywhere from $40k to well over $100k based on options/features added alone. Same truck outside of options. Think about that for a moment juxtaposed to Tesla's lineup and list of features and options.

It's kind of crazy to me how some refuse to look at the situation holistically and only look for negative items to make their case. I've been a noted non-apologist (to say the least) for Tesla and some of it's actions but you have to give credit where credit us due.
Oh I love my Tesla. It's my 2nd MY. The points you make are all valid.

My opinion on this is that the prices will recover at least some. We have been through this a few times now where gas prices spike, everyone sells their thirsy SUV, demand for hybrids and EV skyrocket, gas prices come down and the whole cycle eventually repeats.

I have said before I think Tesla's value is in it's batteries, motors, and driver assist tech. I always remind everyone you haven't lost anything unless you decide to sell the car. Now isn't a good time to sell! It's a good time to buy though 😎

In the case of the lightning more options can be a good thing for the consumer. If I don't know what it is or if I can't Invision myself using the feature at least weekly I pass on it. With that said having all those options and variations probably make it more expensive for Ford to MFR.

I have said before I think Tesla's value is in it's batteries, motors, and driver assist tech.

And don’t forget the Supercharger network. Right now, that’s the main thing that prevents me from even considering the competition. I say “right now” because that may change if and when Tesla opens their Supercharger network to other brands.

And don’t forget the Supercharger network. Right now, that’s the main thing that prevents me from even considering the competition. I say “right now” because that may change if and when Tesla opens their Supercharger network to other brands.
YES! This is Tesla primary advantage over other EV. 3rd party charging networks can be unreliable and frustrating for users. Superchargers make road trips in a Tesla a breeze. Other EV require more planning and patience.

Reactions: yellowr6
I'm a happy camper who bought a Model Y a month ago.

I couldn't sleep the night after they cut the prices out of frustration. But that was about my own bad timing and nothing more. Lower prices are a great thing and will put significant pressure on the used market as well as new EVs from other makes.

This is an unqualified Good Thing. We need more people driving EVs, and they need to be more affordable for that to happen. My car is worth less as a result, but I can live with that. It just gives me an incentive to keep it longer and it'll be cheaper to replace when the time comes. I wish more people were happy about greater affordability rather than resentful that they missed out. It's all part of life.

I think that, overall, the total happy campers will FAR outweigh the entitled cry babies. I ordered one yesterday myself in fact. I went into the local store to drive one of the new 2023's because I wanted to feel that new suspension in action before committing but they were beyond busy with deliveries and pre-scheduled test drive appointments. They had 22 brand now 2023's on the lot that ALL sold within 48hrs of that price discount.

As I was wandering around the packed showroom I was able to overhear pieces of conversations by the various people/couples/families. Every single one was clearly a first time EV owner based on the types of questions and conversations that were going on. I know that's a small sample size but I think this is a massively big step forward for the EV adoption rate.

Anyone who puts their slightly higher than normal new vehicle depreciation rate ahead of that is selfishly losing sight of what's important. Their opinion on the topic means little to me and reminds me a petulant spoiled child who didn't get their way. I hate to put it so bluntly but it's giving EV owners everywhere a bad name with the amount of unearned entitlement that is occupying the social media airwaves currently.

Soon enough they'll accept the reality that buying a car is NOT an investment (especially a brand new one) and those complaints will fade. What will be left is a large number of EV owners who will help to get the word out of how much better these things are for most ALL current ICE owners who don't even realize it. That's progress folks.
💯 😎

Nothing compare to Porsche options !!!

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I'm looking at the opportunity too. I'd like to pickup something used when prices come down. There is a 2022 LR listed near me with 10k miles for 39. That one is gone.

Within 150 miles of me it appears to be CarMax that is getting aggressive now and heavily discounting it's Tesla inventory. The others it has listen though are still too high. At 46k they are as much as a new one after tax credit.

Last edited:
I just joined the community after losing my vehicle to a careless driver right before the recent cold snap. Spent the better part of december test driving and talking with every dealership in town. Almost settled on getting a Venza when the price dropped, so I decided to make the jump to EV. Taking delivery next week, so I'm scrambling to get the wiring work done so that I can home charge.

Already had solar panels installed last year (non-Tesla), and hoping to get a powerwall at some point.

I just placed an order yesterday for a MY DBM white interior. I bought a 2021 MY MSM in October 2020 when the standard price was $49,990. Our other car is a 2016 X3, over 7 years old with 80k miles and will probably need around $3k of maintenance by the summer. With the price drop and eligibility for the $7,500 federal tax credit, the timing is right for me. It says must take delivery by March to be eligible for the credit. Does anyone know if that means March 1st or March 31st or somewhere in between? Tesla lists the estimated delivery January - March. I presume my car will be built in Austin since I live in NY, which should bring the ETA more on the earlier side. Does anyone know whether the MY's are being built with the 4680 batteries? Weren't those batteries supposed to provide a significant increase in range? I haven't been keeping up since I've been happily driving my 2021 MY the past 2 years. :)

I know that's a small sample size but I think this is a massively big step forward for the EV adoption rate.

^^ This is it in a nutshell. People should listen more carefully to Elon, and read the mission statement. Tesla is one of the few companies that actually live by their statement. Both Tesla and Elon make it clear that transition to clean energy trumps profits. So long as Tesla can make a profit on every car, the company will grow as fast as it knows how. The trend to lower prices is baked into their DNA, albeit with bumps when demand outstrips supply.

Go Tesla !

Well said. I feel for the folks lost out on money. I am also one of those folks who bought in early December. It definitely was a gut punch. But I am also a person who could afford a car that most people could not. I am extraordinarily fortunate. My kids are not, however. They have experienced the hottest summers on record and catastrophic flooding in their surrounding community and will see more impacts in their lifetimes than I will. I know these price cuts do not come from a place of altruism, but if the result means we are closer to full scale EV adoption, I am all for it. I have zero control over what just happened, so I think I am just gonna enjoy my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.