Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any early invite want to sell their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have buyer for 61,500 plus shipping for
dec delivery car you also get to keep tax credit and sales tax deduction
call me Wayne 951 237 3125email: [email protected]

tempted to sell mine and order another one the way I really want it.

Sales tax deduction? If you can afford a Model 3, you're probably not taking the sales tax deduction over income tax deduction. Where are you coming up with $17,500 profit.

You still have to pay tax, title, registration, and destination fee on top of the $49,000. Selling the car invalidates the california $2500 rebate, if you even qualify.

No you don't, unless you are cool with tax fraud. The tax credit is not available to resellers, only buyers that keep the car.​

I think the language in the federal tax instructions say you must “Put the car into service”. So if you buy it, pay taxes on it and use the car it’s now “in service”. Selling it as a used car doesn’t make you a reseller, even if you only put 100 miles on it.

It’s probably not the intent of the regulation, but I think it falls short of tax fraud.

On the other hand, the California regulation explicitly states you must keep the car for three years or pay back a prorated amount of the incentive.

There is a specific requirement in the instructions for IRS form 8936 that says "You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale." The "lease to others" term is for OEMS that lease cars to consumers. But I think you're on a slippery slope with the Federal tax credit if you get a Model 3, sell it to someone, and then claim the tax credit yourself...

Instructions for Form 8936 (2016) | Internal Revenue Service

TaxCredit.jpg

Intent is a really difficult thing to prove. If you buy a Model 3 and use it and then decide, for whatever reason, that it’s not the right car for you I think you can legitimately argue that you used the car and are selling it as a used car. Argument even stronger if you subsequently buy a different car that meets the need that Model 3 fell short.

There need to be better instructions.

Expect for that entering into sales negotiations on a public forum to resell the car before even receiving the vehicle.

Right. The good news is I assume the IRS will be operating on a skeleton crew for the next few years thanks to the priorities of the current administration. That said, they may make a point of enforcing compliance with loopholes that tree-hugging EV drivers enjoy