Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antifungal spray for cabin air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what people have been saying in these forum threads, they do have AC coil drying automated in some fashion. This was added to the software back some time in 2021. I think the automated drying mode does work most of the time because not everyone complains about the smell. Unfortunately once the car start stinking, maybe the automated mode coded in by Tesla isn't aggressive enough in drying out moisture, because no matter if I toggle the recirc on or off before parking, the stink continued until I started doing the AC off/Max fan ritual.
The automated fan activation has a 20-ish minute delay in order to not annoy the driver. It works to prevent it occuring before it occurs. But I think after the smell starts happening, it has been shown to become ineffective. My theory is that the delay allows the mold/bacteria/whatever to multiply enough that drying it later is not effective enough.

So one way would be to allow owners to tweak the delay time.

I replaced the filters in my model Y last week with two genuine Tesla filters and used a can of kool it and the smell returned after a couple of days. Not sure what else to do
Think about replacing the F'N car is my next move. Filter isn't the problem and never was. We been tricked yet again thinking it's the filter. I used all type of cleaning agent including the all mighty 1:10 bleach and no matter the amount and duration on the coil, it doesn't help.

My guess now is it isn't the filter and it isn't the coil.

I've never even replaced the cabin filter in any other vehicle, and never experienced this issue. I'm reasonably confident that Tesla isn't the *only* manufacturer to have this issue, I've just never experienced it personally until now.

It's certainly a design flaw. That said, Tesla has designed many new things in the course of their history... not every one of them can be winners (A/C smell and wipers). I'd rather live with this design flaw than the multitude of design flaws that constitute the internal combustion engine.

Crossing fingers they'll get the A/C system sorted out in a future revision.

Think about replacing the F'N car is my next move. Filter isn't the problem and never was. We been tricked yet again thinking it's the filter. I used all type of cleaning agent including the all mighty 1:10 bleach and no matter the amount and duration on the coil, it doesn't help.

My guess now is it isn't the filter and it isn't the coil.
Bleach corrodes many metals, including aluminum. I think that was a hasty decision. ….
It is 100% the coils. Each time I’ve had them cleaned, the smell is gone. The last time was for a very long time.
The filter is replaced at the same time, because it’s due.
I suppose if the cleaning or spray is not done we’ll or is not hitting the entire coil, it could come back quickly.

Bleach corrodes many metals, including aluminum. I think that was a hasty decision. ….
It is 100% the coils. Each time I’ve had them cleaned, the smell is gone. The last time was for a very long time.
The filter is replaced at the same time, because it’s due.
I suppose if the cleaning or spray is not done we’ll or is not hitting the entire coil, it could come back quickly.
I mean its that or getting rid of a great car with $10K FSD that will cost $15K next time...

The Tesla tech just left (glovebox replacement) and he said he has the solution that he has seen work without fail.
Park the car in a closed garage, not carport, and place a dehumidifier in front of the air intake in the nose. Set it to “basement” setting so that it gets down to about 40% before cutting out.
He says that if this is done after a foam cleaning, the smell never returns.

it sounds logical.

Eh. I prefer the 3 over the S. The S is a boat.

Does the S/X suffer from this smelly design flaw?
Interval is less but there are reported cases. AC smell can happen in any car, just the interval may be different. Model S/X uses a bigger system, so that will help it (air may be more diluted), as well as later models having HEPA filter which helps block the contaminants from entering system.

The Tesla tech just left (glovebox replacement) and he said he has the solution that he has seen work without fail.
Park the car in a closed garage, not carport, and place a dehumidifier in front of the air intake in the nose. Set it to “basement” setting so that it gets down to about 40% before cutting out.
He says that if this is done after a foam cleaning, the smell never returns.

it sounds logical.
I don't see how that could work for me.

Also, that isn't where the intake is