Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Hit Piece, From a Tech Site???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The big players still have lots of franchised locations on major freeways throughout the country. If they accept EV is in their own best interest, a strong network of chargers would be feasible.
Disagree, dealership locations are often not well located to be charging stations and there are long stretches of interstate highways where there are no dealerships at all.
Furthermore, dealerships don't want to sell EVs. They are just as short-sighted as the manufacturers. They will resist charging stations and the manufacturers cannot force them to accept them.

I'm with you. They aren't well located all the time and they are very short-sighted. But if they get over the short-sightedness they could light up a map pretty quick.

What really gets me is all the US news referring to destroying a US brand. Can you imagine if back in the 60s, Time or Life put out pieces like "Don't hold your breath on NASA, the good news is that you'll get a better ride on a Russian rocket if your willing to wait a few extra months. Lets support them!".

Why should we be wanting Audi, BMW, or Mercedes to win? Compete, yes, but win?

I'm with you. They aren't well located all the time and they are very short-sighted. But if they get over the short-sightedness they could light up a map pretty quick.

What really gets me is all the US news referring to destroying a US brand. Can you imagine if back in the 60s, Time or Life put out pieces like "Don't hold your breath on NASA, the good news is that you'll get a better ride on a Russian rocket if your willing to wait a few extra months. Lets support them!".

Why should we be wanting Audi, BMW, or Mercedes to win? Compete, yes, but win?

Almost no one alive today has ever seen an American auto company be founded, grow and become a competitor on the global scale. So one narrative seems to be waiting for Tesla to go over the hump and start to decline to it's inevitable failure. People just cannot believe Tesla is succeeding.

I read that bs article last night. I've seen a lot of these types of articles about how BMW or AUDI or whoever will be the "Tesla killer" because they unveiled a concept car in frankfurt that can get 3xx miles on a charge, luxury, etc. and "could" be out by 2018. Never mentioning the fact that Tesla has ACTUAL CARS OUT TODAY that you can buy with the same and BETTER specs. They neglect to mention where Tesla will be in 2018 IF these cars actually come out.

I read that bs article last night. I've seen a lot of these types of articles about how BMW or AUDI or whoever will be the "Tesla killer" because they unveiled a concept car in frankfurt that can get 3xx miles on a charge, luxury, etc. and "could" be out by 2018. Never mentioning the fact that Tesla has ACTUAL CARS OUT TODAY that you can buy with the same and BETTER specs. They neglect to mention where Tesla will be in 2018 IF these cars actually come out.

Comparing the Audi e-tron quattro 'concept' to something like the Thunder Power concept isn't really fair. Audi has made massive investments in battery technology, and has electrified vehicles on the road. That's not to take away from the Thunder Power Sedan announcement, as it's relying on partners which have real hardware/experiences (e.g., Bosch).

What we need to conclude from all these announcements is that Tesla made the right decision, and battery-electric vehicles are here to stay!

I cannot believe that existing auto companies could leverage their dealerships to build their charging infrastructure for them. I mean, look at the fight Chevy and Nissan have had getting their dealers to install Level 2 EVSE's... Besides, no one wants to go to a car dealership if they can avoid it. Even if you were there just to "charge" the moment you got out you'd be swooped in on by the vultures to sell you a new car because that's how they get paid and that's how the model is setup.

I find all of these articles to be hilarious, but in a awkward sort of uncomfortable way. Vaporware is just that, vaporware. That's what all of these "concepts" are right now, so for people who have no clue and think it's easy to build a 300 mile EV because the name Ford, or Chevy, or Audi, or etc... is behind the name is laughable.

People seem to constantly forget about the single biggest strategic advantage Tesla has, the supercharger network. Why would you buy a competing vehicle that doesn't allow you to stretch your legs geographically? Elon has laid out the things that have inhibited EV adoption and attacked them with success one by one.

The ONLY way I see ANY other car company out there competing with Tesla now, and in the future and actually provide competition, is if the automakers themselves start knocking down the dealer franchise protection laws. There just is no way your going to force this revolution on the traditional car segment without dragging them kicking and screaming along the way.

Jeff