Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android charging with USB ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the front USB ports locked at about 1000 ma and rear at 2 ma? I used an app called Ampere to measure. I can get better charging using the USB cable that came with my M3. To get better power, I use a USB splitter to the front and get about 1000 ma. If I go direct, my S9 shows slow charging and barely gets to 400 ma. Using the rear plugs and the short cable, I get readings more like 1700 ma.

So am I concluding this correctly or can we not really get more than 1000 ma out of the front set and 2000 ma out of the rear USB?

Are the front USB ports locked at about 1000 ma and rear at 2 ma? I used an app called Ampere to measure. I can get better charging using the USB cable that came with my M3. To get better power, I use a USB splitter to the front and get about 1000 ma. If I go direct, my S9 shows slow charging and barely gets to 400 ma. Using the rear plugs and the short cable, I get readings more like 1700 ma.

So am I concluding this correctly or can we not really get more than 1000 ma out of the front set and 2000 ma out of the rear USB?

Nowhere near that low.

2.6 amps from each front port as tested (though it resets right above that so probably wanna stick to ~2.4-2.5 max per port)

My USB-C Power Delivery enabled Essential PH-1 refused to charge at anything other than 500mA from the front USB ports as measured with a USB voltmeter. My iPad charged at around 1.5A from the same port.

I picked up a "data blocker" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRRZ2QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And with it inserted between the USB cable and the port it now charges at around 1.4A. Some Android phones for safety if they can't figure out what the current capabilities of the USB port is will default to 500mA.