Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An ultra-efficient model option - narrow tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just watching a couple of youtube videos regarding tyre efficency, and wondered how many miles you could get from a Tesla 3 LR if it were fitted with, for example, tyres from a BMW i3. The %age difference in range is substantial from just a small change in width and weight so a narrow tyre would be even more efficient. Shame Jason from EE didn't explore that option in the video but it was a sponsored one.

I totally understand its probably not possible due to the car weight, load rating and loss of grip that at narrow tyre has, but interesting as a thought experiment?

1706263655086.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
I was just watching a couple of youtube videos regarding tyre efficency, and wondered how many miles you could get from a Tesla 3 LR if it were fitted with, for example, tyres from a BMW i3. The %age difference in range is substantial from just a small change in width and weight so a narrow tyre would be even more efficient. Shame Jason from EE didn't explore that option in the video but it was a sponsored one.

I totally understand its probably not possible due to the car weight, load rating and loss of grip that at narrow tyre has, but interesting as a thought experiment?

View attachment 1012423

Tire compound and tread design probably makes a bigger difference. I am seeing absolutely incredible efficiency with my 2022 Model 3 Performance and the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires now. Honestly, I am not sure I even need better efficiency than what I am averaging now.

IMG_1750.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

Reactions: DrChaos
I think it should be an option, it's just not one I'd do.

I had a Prius Prime for a bit. One of the first things I did was get rid of the efficient tires for something with more performance.

I'll give up some mpg (or mpW in this case) for the ability to stop, turn, and handle adverse weather better. I just prioritize safety over efficiency.

I think those tires are more for manufacturers to up their efficiency ratings

I think it should be an option, it's just not one I'd do.

I had a Prius Prime for a bit. One of the first things I did was get rid of the efficient tires for something with more performance.

I'll give up some mpg (or mpW in this case) for the ability to stop, turn, and handle adverse weather better. I just prioritize safety over efficiency.

I think those tires are more for manufacturers to up their efficiency ratings
What if you could have both performance and efficiency? The new tires they have developed recently don't seem to sacrifice much performance at all and they definitely have improved efficiency. The one thing that is worse is price. These newer tires are starting to get really pricey but they definitely are much better.