Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Temperature of an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a mild frost overnight.

I noticed this morning that my neighbour's car (a Skoda ICE) had to have the ice scraped from the windows before he drove off on his commute. My MYP, parked next to the Skoda, was completely clear. My car was plugged into the charger but we hadn't driven it the previous day so overnight charging was complete before midnight.

So what was keeping my windows clear? Is there a minimal amount of heat emitted by the battery pack even when the car is sleeping, which is just enough to raise the temperature? I'm not complaining btw as not having to scrape the car before a drive is a good thing. Just intrigued.

MTIA

is the ice forming from overnight dew accumulation?

In your situation, I’m gonna guess that the lack of headliner insulation and more glass (relative to most ICE cars) kept the interior temperature of your Tesla close enough to ambient so that dew didn’t form.

At least this makes sense to me!

is the ice forming from overnight dew accumulation?

In your situation, I’m gonna guess that the lack of headliner insulation and more glass (relative to most ICE cars) kept the interior temperature of your Tesla close enough to ambient so that dew didn’t form.

At least this makes sense to me!
The temp overnight must have hit around the freezing mark as all the other cars were also iced up in the morning. And next door's Skoda has a pretty large sunroof. So whilst i admire your thinking, I'm not sure it quite explains this situation :)

How do you schedule your charging? Do you have precondition enabled?
I plug it in at home and it charges during the cheaper rate between 11:00 and 06:00. Most nights its done by midnight as we don't use the car every day and don't do regular commutes. On the morning in question, charging had completed by 11:15pm as we hadn't used the car at all the previous day.

Precondition is toggled to 'off' on the app.

Last edited: