Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks artsci, I really want to see those pics. I've been considering alloy gators for awhile.

Here they are. Painful to see but you can easily determine why I said they were ugly.

I've ordered Scuffs Alloy Rim Protectors. They cover the side of the rim and the edge near the tire. Attach with 3M tape so when they're damaged they'll be easy to remove and replace. Not the case with the Alloy Gators.

DSC_5106.jpg

DSC_5107.jpg

DSC_5108.JPG

DSC_5109.JPG

DSC_5115.JPG

Last edited:
As another perspective, I've had mine on my 19" rims for a year as well, having put them on myself. I just scraped my right-rear wheel on a curb last week, so that one is scuffed up. The other 3 look practically the same as they were put on.

So, the one I've damaged is ugly (the tool they provide to "re-shape" the alloy gator helps only some), but that means they did their job. I'll spend a few bucks for a new one, and all 4 will look new.

Looking at your pictures, I'm not sure what has happened to yours, but I'd guess that whatever it is would have otherwise taken it's toll on your rims instead...

As another perspective, I've had mine on my 19" rims for a year as well, having put them on myself. I just scraped my right-rear wheel on a curb last week, so that one is scuffed up. The other 3 look practically the same as they were put on.

So, the one I've damaged is ugly (the tool they provide to "re-shape" the alloy gator helps only some), but that means they did their job. I'll spend a few bucks for a new one, and all 4 will look new.

Looking at your pictures, I'm not sure what has happened to yours, but I'd guess that whatever it is would have otherwise taken it's toll on your rims instead...

I'm sure they protected the rims but my gripe is the protection comes at a high cost in installation, removal, and replacement. There are equally good but much more convenient solutions for that protection.

Fair enough... I'll be interested in your experience with the Scuffs...

This whole episode got me thinking about innovative solutions to rim protection. Everything available involves something that goes on the rim itself. Then I remembered that some tires (not any for 21" wheels) have a lip that extends over the rim edge so the tire itself protects the rim from abrasion (rubber is very good at this kind of protection) So I'm working on my own protection solution that will involve putting something on the tire that will protect the rim, not attached to the rim itself. I've ordered all of the parts and should have it set up next week. This will be an easy to do and much less expensive solution than all of the commercial rim protection kits.

Now that my new Michelin tires haves been installed on the 21" rims, I'm ready to install my rim protection solution for the 21" wheels. I'll do that on Saturday and post information and pictures.

It provides five times the protection of the Alloy Gators and other commercial products and costs 1/5 the amount. It's also easier to apply and remove, blends in with the tires, won't show dirt or abrasions, and works with 21" and 19" wheels of any kind. It's readily available online and and it only needs to be applied whenever the tires are replaced or removed.

Anybody want to venture a guess what it is?

Now that my new Michelin tires haves been installed on the 21" rims, I'm ready to install my rim protection solution for the 21" wheels. I'll do that on Saturday and post information and pictures.

It provides five times the protection of the Alloy Gators and other commercial products and costs 1/5 the amount. It's also easier to apply and remove, blends in with the tires, won't show dirt or abrasions, and works with 21" and 19" wheels of any kind. It's readily available online and and it only needs to be applied whenever the tires are replaced or removed.

Duct tape? It does anything.:smile:

Run a bead of silicone caulk on really clean tires?

Well, my interest is piqued. I have the Alloy Gators, but never installed them and I'm glad I didn't. I saw someone else's at the San Juan Capistrano super charger and they looked terrible. Stuck out way past the rim and very ugly. I'm interested to see your solution as I like your other mods, namely Lighted T, and Front Camera.

I've had Alloy Gators on my S since taking delivery in January 2013, and they have always worked extremely well for me. The website I've ordered from several times, AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage, now redirects to AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage, and when it detects that I'm from the U.S. it no longer allows for direct sales. Instead, it directs me to find a distributor, of which I have yet to find one. Has anyone else tried ordering direct, and if so is there any way to do it now?

Thanks -