Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Things Direct-To-Mobile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bxr140

Nov 18, 2014
Bay Area
We don't have a consolidated place to talk about what's inevitably going to be the next surge in Space, so here it is. I'll summarize/editorialize on state-ish of the union (I'm sure I'm leaving some out):

--On Friday SN put out a generously titled article on Iridium's foray. For sure Iridium's existing network is much more capable than Globalstar's so its kinda reasonable for Desch to say they're not looking at a new constellation but can still provide, and I'll paraphrase here, "More than Apple", but...its still a pretty old school constellation that simply isn't going to move bits as efficiently as something brandy new. Yeah its only ~5 years old and is probably built for ~15, but Space is changing and, as has been made quite clear with the Starlink philosophy, its insane to think you're going to concurrently a) fully amortize a long life satellite and b) provide front-of-the-pack service. Anyway, good to see they're partnering with a phone maker (like Globalstar+Apple), as that's really the best way to get to market right now. Re-use of terrestrial mobile bands might be a viable long term solution, but...physics is real hard. Presumably Iridium's unnamed mobile partner is Samsung--that makes a lot of sense as they're the largest phone builder in the world. (Apple is #2)

--AST and SX/TM are both fixin on brandy new constellations so that's good from the service perspective, but like anyone that's looking to get into this space there's still going to be a bit of a capital and monetization problem. Noting that only a-holes quote themselves on the internet, this person has some good thoughts there.

--Lynk is making a similar "use terrestrial spectrum for DTM" play and, as linked in the above link, actually received FCC approval recently. They're even less well positioned than SX/TM at actually making something happen; its hard to imagine their end game being anything other than being acquired for their priority rights.

--eSAT global has apparently convinced Yahsat that they have something to offer. Yahsat acquired Thuraya (And their frequencies) a few years ago; their products in the MSS space are generally similar to what you can get from Iridium/Inmarsat and are generally pretty conservative relative to bit pushing. Certainly as priority L-band holders Yahsat thinking about how to get into the DTM space; like many CEOs Al Hashemi is super sharp and financially focused so he's not going to throw money at something that doesn't have a high probability ROI.

--Obviously, Apple/Globlastar is doing something with Globalstar's network. Apple put it in their product release in Sept; service is going to go live soon-ish...? Presumably this locks out Globalstar spectrum to other players, save for SX's attempt to steal it...

--We haven't heard much out of Ligado recently (who has some L-band), though I think this article means they're folding and selling off the asset. Not sure they're global and I don't think their filing is for super useful power levels, but that's a pretty valuable piece of real estate in the MSS space all the same.

--Finally, the Viasat purchase of Inmarsat [that's currently getting stuffed by The Brits] is probably going to be a major player in the DTM space one way or the other. Inmarsat is has good priority on global MSS frequencies and Dankberg is a pretty forward looking leader so he's probably going to take a little more risk with the traditionally very conservative Inmarsat spectrum use.

Looks like Samsung is going to build in Iridium connectivity.

Despite fanfare from SX/T-Mobile, near term at least, existing MSS operators like Iridium and Globalstar (and even Charlie with his ~2ghz up/down spectrum, though I think that's only North America) are where its at for direct to mobile. SX/TM (and AST, etc) are still on this side of a pretty massive physics problem.

As with everyone in this <ahem> space of direct-to-mobile it's going to be very interesting to see how the various entities monetize service. Phone manufacturers generally seem to have a leg up here, because they have the opportunity to bake the space infrastructure cost into new device sales (vs everyone else who needs to collect subscription revenue, as babbled on by yours truly in one of the links above).

And appears to allow Android to one-up the SOS only capabilty of iOS... at least initially...

Time will tell. I don't recall exactly, but I think the Iridium constellation does have a slightly higher capability than the Globalstar network, due to a) smaller/more beams, b) more sats + ISLs, and potentially also c) PFD. I feel like they both have the same amount of spectrum...though Iridium might have more also...?

What it really comes down to is 1) the number of users and 2) the level of committed service. I think Apple is around 25-30% of the mobile market so that's notionally upside on the number of users (Assuming the lion's share of the other 70-75% of users would be pointed toward the Iridium constellation).. But...Apple is pretty conservative in their commitment so they're going to throttle the potential service way back to make sure users don't really see a regression in what they get when load starts to approach capacity. So, for like-for-like satellite networks Apple would tend to underpromise on service relative to someone else, but Apple would always (or at least, significantly more consistently) deliver on that promise.

Bit of a "buy our big report" SPAM from Farrar here (I don't have, nor am I going to buy the report) but, despite being a four letter word to The Faithful, Farrar's summary points are sound.
He talks about SpaceX "hype" several times in that article, but never articulates what he thinks is hype rather than fact, instead just referring to unknowns on how spectrum will be used.

Looking at his track record on SpaceX, his rather negative takes don't look to have been terribly accurate. ...

New Zealand PR splash on mobile coverage via Starlink.

This at least reads as direct to mobile service over existing terrestrial frequencies (as opposed to remote backhaul towers) using the Starlink add on arrays that T-Mobile aspires to use. Makes sense that SX would go around the world knocking on MNO doors to find partners--clearly T-mobile wouldn't be able to fund the buildout themselves.

TBD when regulatory hurdles are cleared and a [useful] MVP sized constellation is on orbit. I'd guess we're looking at 2-3 years at least...in the US.

I thought an useful MVP sized constellation is already in orbit today for Starlink?

For starlink service, yes. But that service is at a much higher frequency than what mobile devices use, so something completely new is required for direct to device. For the direct to mobile service SX needs to basically bolt on a completely different, mobile dedicated antenna array onto every starlink satellite. This can be an addition rather than a swap out of the starlink arrays, but they'll still need to launch ~1500 or so of these augmented V2 satellites to get to that MVP. The augmented satellites will necessarily impact satellite resources (notably the physical size, the mass, the backhaul capacity, and the power/energy available for Starlink service) such that the starlink service over a time period will be incrementally reduced (probably not by too much) and the number of satellites on a rocket will also be reduced (and so, need moar rockets).

Thank you. At 55 satellites a week, that’s about 6 months plus worth of launches . But given the next gen satellites are bigger and heavier, less no satellites per launch means to launch 1500 to get to MVP is perhaps a year or more worth of launches . Unless of course Starship becomes operational soon.

Thank you. At 55 satellites a week, that’s about 6 months plus worth of launches . But given the next gen satellites are bigger and heavier, less no satellites per launch means to launch 1500 to get to MVP is perhaps a year or more worth of launches . Unless of course Starship becomes operational soon.

Ths v1 sats won’t have the right antenna. The t-mobile announce was clearly referencing a starship launched v2 sat with a big mobile device antenna, hence my 2-3 years.

It’s possible the v2 minis have some direct to mobile antenna on them but IMO unlikely as it would be much smaller and way less capable than advertised. But…if we assume they do have the right antenna you can do V2 mini launch rate math.

Ths v1 sats won’t have the right antenna. The t-mobile announce was clearly referencing a starship launched v2 sat with a big mobile device antenna, hence my 2-3 years.

It’s possible the v2 minis have some direct to mobile antenna on them but IMO unlikely as it would be much smaller and way less capable than advertised. But…if we assume they do have the right antenna you can do V2 mini launch rate math.
Agree that minis can't mobile.

Reactions: Grendal