Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Tesla Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got my trip all planned. My daughter (17) and I will be heading up to Alaska in mid-June, following much the same route as @IdaX . We are leaving from Tacoma on 6/17. Our overnight stays will be 1. Quesnel, BC, 2. New Hazelton, BC, 3. Dease Lake, BC, 4. Whitehorse, YT, 5. Delta Junction, AK, 6. Denali, AK, 7. Anchorage, AK (2 nights- will take a trip down to the Kenai peninsula), 8. Tok, AK. Our last day, we will drive to Haines, AK and take the ferry back to Bellingham.
The new fast chargers allowed us to go the more direct route rather than to Dawson City. I was still tempted to go to Dawson, but chose the more direct route. Unfortunately, the ferry from Whittier is not running this year, so we have to backtrack to Haines for the trip home.
We will be doing the trip in my 2022 Model 3 LRD.
I will try to post some updates/pictures during the trip.
I see you kept the driving days reasonably short (probably partly out of necessity due to charging situation), but I would recommend taking more of a break in the middle of your trip if you have a couple extra days. I did a similar trip in an ICE years ago and spent 2 nights in Anchorage and then 2 or 3 days on the Kenai Peninsula (stayed in Seward and Homer, but it might be better to stay in one or the other and make a day trip to the one you don't stay in). I was definitely happy to have a break in the middle of my adventure. Anchorage is kind of the anti-Alaska, but it was nice being in a real city for a couple days after being out in the wilderness for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: IdaX
I see you kept the driving days reasonably short (probably partly out of necessity due to charging situation), but I would recommend taking more of a break in the middle of your trip if you have a couple extra days. I did a similar trip in an ICE years ago and spent 2 nights in Anchorage and then 2 or 3 days on the Kenai Peninsula (stayed in Seward and Homer, but it might be better to stay in one or the other and make a day trip to the one you don't stay in). I was definitely happy to have a "break in the middle of my adventure. Anchorage is kind of the anti-Alaska, but it was kind of nice being in a real city for a couple days after being out in the wilderness for a couple weeks.
The number of days is limited by our calendars. I am trying to keep the days reasonable in length to keep my daughter happy. We've done a lot of road trips together but 14 hour days would probably result in a rebellion. The stop in Dease Lake is the one stop dictated by a lack of fast chargers (there is a 14-30 plug that we can use where we are staying). We basically have a full day at Denali (just have to do the short drive to Anchorage after). We are staying in an Airbnb house in Anchorage for 2 nights. This will give us a chance to relax a little, do some laundry and cooking, while also allowing us to do a day trip to the Kenai peninsula.
We've done two week road trips covering more distance than this before, so that shouldn't be a problem. This will be our first time relying on non-Tesla fast chargers though.

Reactions: IdaX and PLUS EV
I've got my trip all planned. My daughter (17) and I will be heading up to Alaska in mid-June, following much the same route as @IdaX . We are leaving from Tacoma on 6/17. Our overnight stays will be 1. Quesnel, BC, 2. New Hazelton, BC, 3. Dease Lake, BC, 4. Whitehorse, YT, 5. Delta Junction, AK, 6. Denali, AK, 7. Anchorage, AK (2 nights- will take a trip down to the Kenai peninsula), 8. Tok, AK. Our last day, we will drive to Haines, AK and take the ferry back to Bellingham.
The new fast chargers allowed us to go the more direct route rather than to Dawson City. I was still tempted to go to Dawson, but chose the more direct route. Unfortunately, the ferry from Whittier is not running this year, so we have to backtrack to Haines for the trip home.
We will be doing the trip in my 2022 Model 3 LRD.
I will try to post some updates/pictures during the trip.
It's the route I followed in October 2021, up Hwy 37, "the Cassiar", in BC. New Hazelton to Dease Lake will be a little bit of a challenge (330 miles; + 1600' elevation gain), then you'll be stuck on 113v x 12a at the Northway Motor Inn (a fine place), which will give you about +23 kWh over a 17 hour night (been there, done that)...not quite sufficient to get to Watson Lake...(159 miles).

You might consider stopping 53 miles earlier in Iskut, at Red Goat Lodge, where you can get a full charge on their dryer outlet at 24 amps x ~220v overnight. Call them in advance and be sure to have the proper adapter (they are on plugshare). Worst case at Red Goat; bring a tt-30 to 14-50 y-splitter (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-692071-Splitter-Adapter-TT-30P/dp/B01LPEZNKG) and a tt30 extension cord to charge at 24 amps x 220v at two 30 amp campground sites on different legs (a multi-meter will be handy) if the dryer outlet is unavailable.

The third option is to rig up a kit that can allow you to charge at two standard receptacles on different legs (total 12a x 220v) at Northway Inn. They might frown upon at that sort of set-up though...It's safe if you know what you are doing, and if you can explain it to them they might be OK with it...without that capacity, realistically it's two nights there.

Otherwise, it looks like a sound plan (fun adventure)!! I am on plugshare on the Kenai Peninsula- near Homer. It's not very convenient because we are about 10 miles east of town, but we have plenty of level 2 charging capability!

I see you kept the driving days reasonably short (probably partly out of necessity due to charging situation), but I would recommend taking more of a break in the middle of your trip if you have a couple extra days. I did a similar trip in an ICE years ago and spent 2 nights in Anchorage and then 2 or 3 days on the Kenai Peninsula (stayed in Seward and Homer, but it might be better to stay in one or the other and make a day trip to the one you don't stay in). I was definitely happy to have a break in the middle of my adventure. Anchorage is kind of the anti-Alaska, but it was nice being in a real city for a couple days after being out in the wilderness for a couple weeks.
Anchorage: "Los Anchorage" just five minutes outside of Alaska!

The number of days is limited by our calendars. I am trying to keep the days reasonable in length to keep my daughter happy. We've done a lot of road trips together but 14 hour days would probably result in a rebellion. The stop in Dease Lake is the one stop dictated by a lack of fast chargers (there is a 14-30 plug that we can use where we are staying). We basically have a full day at Denali (just have to do the short drive to Anchorage after). We are staying in an Airbnb house in Anchorage for 2 nights. This will give us a chance to relax a little, do some laundry and cooking, while also allowing us to do a day trip to the Kenai peninsula.
We've done two week road trips covering more distance than this before, so that shouldn't be a problem. This will be our first time relying on non-Tesla fast chargers though.
Just saw this- you found a 14-30 in Dease Lake! Good work!

It's the route I followed in October 2021, up Hwy 37, "the Cassiar", in BC. New Hazelton to Dease Lake will be a little bit of a challenge (330 miles; + 1600' elevation gain), then you'll be stuck on 113v x 12a at the Northway Motor Inn (a fine place), which will give you about +23 kWh over a 17 hour night (been there, done that)...not quite sufficient to get to Watson Lake...(159 miles).

You might consider stopping 53 miles earlier in Iskut, at Red Goat Lodge, where you can get a full charge on their dryer outlet at 24 amps x ~220v overnight. Call them in advance and be sure to have the proper adapter (they are on plugshare). Worst case at Red Goat; bring a tt-30 to 14-50 y-splitter (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-692071-Splitter-Adapter-TT-30P/dp/B01LPEZNKG) and a tt30 extension cord to charge at 24 amps x 220v at two 30 amp campground sites on different legs (a multi-meter will be handy) if the dryer outlet is unavailable.

The third option is to rig up a kit that can allow you to charge at two standard receptacles on different legs (total 12a x 220v) at Northway Inn. They might frown upon at that sort of set-up though...It's safe if you know what you are doing, and if you can explain it to them they might be OK with it...without that capacity, realistically it's two nights there.

Otherwise, it looks like a sound plan (fun adventure)!! I am on plugshare on the Kenai Peninsula- near Homer. It's not very convenient because we are about 10 miles east of town, but we have plenty of level 2 charging capability
I am actually staying at Red Goat Lodge- I misspoke. I should be able to make it there without too much trouble (275 miles). I have already arranged to use their 14-30 outlet to get a full overnight charge. Then, Watson Lake is just 212 miles.
Thanks for the offer. I think that we are going to go to Seward instead of Homer. My daughter saw a guy from Homer drown and the mention of Homer gives her a little PTSD.

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC and IdaX
I am actually staying at Red Goat Lodge- I misspoke. I should be able to make it there without too much trouble (275 miles). I have already arranged to use their 14-30 outlet to get a full overnight charge. Then, Watson Lake is just 212 miles.
Thanks for the offer. I think that we are going to go to Seward instead of Homer. My daughter saw a guy from Homer drown and the mention of Homer gives her a little PTSD.

Yeah, I wondered, because I searched a lot for 220v in Dease Lake, with no luck. My notes show that I used 85 kWh in October to get from Boulder Creek Rest Area (near new hazelton) to Dease Lake. Dease Lake is on their own power, but Iskut is connected to the BC Hydro grid, much cleaner and more abundant power there. You'll do fine!
Seward is a good choice- be sure to take a full-day Kenai Fjords tour, you won't regret it unless the weather is exceptionally lousy, but it's usually pretty nice in June! Happy travels!

Yeah, I wondered, because I searched a lot for 220v in Dease Lake, with no luck. My notes show that I used 85 kWh in October to get from Boulder Creek Rest Area (near new hazelton) to Dease Lake. Dease Lake is on their own power, but Iskut is connected to the BC Hydro grid, much cleaner and more abundant power there. You'll do fine!
Seward is a good choice- be sure to take a full-day Kenai Fjords tour, you won't regret it unless the weather is exceptionally lousy, but it's usually pretty nice in June! Happy travels!
Thanks.

Reactions: IdaX and MikeGracz
We are two days into our trip. Starting from Tacoma, we went to Quesnel, BC the first day. Today we went to New Hazelton, BC. We did a short hike to a waterfall. Tomorrow is our most difficult leg battery wise- we are going to the Red Goat Lodge. 275 miles with a fair amount of elevation gain. It normally shouldn’t be a problem, but it is supposed to be pretty cold. IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1473.jpeg

We are two days into our trip. Starting from Tacoma, we went to Quesnel, BC the first day. Today we went to New Hazelton, BC. We did a short hike to a waterfall. Tomorrow is our most difficult leg battery wise- we are going to the Red Goat Lodge. 275 miles with a fair amount of elevation gain. It normally shouldn’t be a problem, but it is supposed to be pretty cold.

Whoohoo! Exciting! Good luck on the long leg tomorrow; let us know how it goes.

Red Goat Lodge now has WiFi! We had a good drive here and arrived with about 30 miles of range to spare. I’m plugged into the dryer outlet, which I got the ok for when I made the reservation. But, the grumpy owner guy was mumbling that he doesn’t want to allow it anymore. So, if anyone is planning to come this way in the future, make sure to check ahead of time.
The location is beautiful. We went canoeing on the lake. Perfect weather for it
Can’t post photos for some reason.

A problem has come up. The ferry is canceled and the next available one is 7/17. Scrambling to change to the shipping the car and flying home option.
Who would have thought that Alaska Ferry reliability would be more of a worry than finding chargers?!? I want to do a similar trip next year - but ferry up to Whittier from Bellingham to start. So sorry for the abrupt ending of your trip.

Exactly which ferry was cancelled? Can you make it to Skagway or Haines?

EDIT: Never mind. I see Haines was the ferry you were taking. Can't believe that one was cancelled? What reason did they give?

Last edited: