Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that was the case they wouldn't discount it by 50%.

Please use reply when response nding to a specific post so we know who or what you are responding to.
I suppose you are responding to the previous post from Beth in regards to tesla pumping out for profit and taking advantage of delayed gratification.

The reasonable assumption here is that they are maximizing profits, perhaps increasing range by the aerodynamic claims (though very minimal perhaps) and streamlining the production as they (tesla) have been mired with delays and issues. So tesla would obviously prioritize the optioned out vehicles first and offer a discount to people that switch for mutual benefit purposes. It makes absolute sense but I may be wrong. If Canadian orders are still getting coil on 6 seat, then it's safe to say day the any any engineering issues.

I mean c'mon, we can't build an suv with coil suspension on 6 seats? This is mainly a monetary/efficiency play here. If things don't go well, they can always offer coil again. Besides, who will do the repairs when the air suspension needs replacing after warranty? Really simple from an economical sense.

@ssq I put the deposit for my X in late 2013. It was confirmed/finalized 7 days after I took a test drive in Costa Mesa. 2/27.

I have it scheduled for pickup at the factory. I plan on taking a road trip with the family. Fly to SJC airport, take a tour of the factory, get the X, drive to Sequoia or Yosemite, drive to Santa Barbara, then back to Los Angeles. We'll take it slow but should be lots of fun.

It's a bonus since it's a one way trip which makes it more tolerable for my wife.

Are you my twin? I went to that text drive 2/27 or 2/28 then confirmed. I'm also doing exactly what you are doing. Flying to sj with family, factory tour etc...

At this point, I might as well go to Yosemite or Sequoia, then Santa Barbara before heading back to LA. Taking it slow and having fun to complete the doppelganger experience. What color X?

$550 is a good price to have the option to tow anything you want rather than just having an accessory hitch.

I took the deal. It's less than 1% of the total cost of the MX.

Since we've established that were doppelgangers, I might as well go ahead on the full tow pkg only because you did it. Now I guess I should buy an unneeded trailer to tow stuff I never knew I needed to tow. Great!

Last edited:
That is impossible!

What's impossible are the gold plated sunshades you're clamoring about.
Here's a few suggestions for your search. modify as needed.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sorry for spamming and derailing this thread. Just trying to throw humor at our collective Dilemma. I'd rather not get the air suspension but I'm giving in to the wait. I'm not going to get my vehicle in October at this point, LA gets too cold around that time.

As a reminder!
Friday seems to be an important day for Tesla regarding our situation. If you haven't gotten a call or email, best contact the inside sales team and ask for the group doing the campaigns as previously noted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ssq
What's impossible are the gold plated sunshades you're clamoring about.
Here's a few suggestions for your search. modify as needed.

View attachment 176110 View attachment 176111 View attachment 176112

Sorry for spamming and derailing this thread. Just trying to throw humor at our collective Dilemma. I'd rather not get the air suspension but I'm giving in to the wait. I'm not going to get my vehicle in October at this point, LA gets too cold around that time.

As a reminder!
Friday seems to be an important day for Tesla regarding our situation. If you haven't gotten a call or email, best contact the inside sales team and ask for the group doing the campaigns as previously noted.

You forgot the hornshade

FYI - My neighbor put in a reservation several years ago and confirmed in January for a 75d, 6 seater. She rec'd a call a few days ago from Tesla indicating that is she ungraded to the air suspension (for $1200, which is discounted because I believe it was $2500?), then she could deliver in June-July, rather than the end of the year.

Yes, they ran a similar campaign for 75D orders to pay to upgrade to 90D to get delivery in April and none of them got delivery yet. So, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on earlier delivery date.

I, too, reserved mine over 2 years ago. I got the same call yesterday and told Peter that I can wait another few more months and thanked him for contacting me.

Reactions: beths11
I still have not received the call. I called by DS yesterday to ask what's going on, will call Inside sales today. On a side note between the air suspension, electrical panel upgrade (no compatible breaker, complete SOL) garage modifications(can be avoided I think) I am already looking at a $5k added cost to get the X.

• Informative
Reactions: captaintessie
I got quoted $4200 by an electrician to upgrade from 100 to 200AMP panel and run a line to the driveway. Not including refinishing the walls, etc. :eek:

Gonna see if I can get by with a NEMA 6-20 that the pool pump is currently using to avoid shelling out another $5k for electrical work. I don't drive that much daily...

I still have not received the call. I called by DS yesterday to ask what's going on, will call Inside sales today. On a side note between the air suspension, electrical panel upgrade (no compatible breaker, complete SOL) garage modifications(can be avoided I think) I am already looking at a $5k added cost to get the X.

Has anyone had their Design Spec on the myTesla page updated yet to show the $1250? Mine has not :(
I'm not expecting updates till next week. My DS did say it'll take a few days. Sounds like some people had till Friday to make a decision, and then I'm hoping for the folks who did opt in, Tesla will then batch and queue us up for production timelines (wishful thinking for target dates to begin production) as well as queue /batch up the updates in MyTesla.

Don't forget after after-market additions like paint protection...a full wrap is about 5k in Texas!

The inside sales rep I spoke with today said they ARE gong to build 6 and 7-seat coil X's.

I keep going back And forth...but so many people have good things to say about the SAS that I will most likely go with it. She also said the SAS is covered under the warranty.

She also did confirm the car will come with the sunshade installed...

Reactions: mlouie23
Don't forget after after-market additions like paint protection...a full wrap is about 5k in Texas!

The inside sales rep I spoke with today said they ARE gong to build 6 and 7-seat coil X's.

I keep going back And forth...but so many people have good things to say about the SAS that I will most likely go with it. She also said the SAS is covered under the warranty.

She also did confirm the car will come with the sunshade installed...

So the newer cars will get a factory installed sunshade? I want that on mine

Oh of course it's covered under warranty. Though these things break AFTER warranty. I had a lexus gx470 and suspension broke after warranty. They all break eventually.

One thing good about the SAS is the kneeling feature which is good for the elderly and children getting in and out. The small wow factor and the option of better handling and performance when set to low. $1250 is a good price if you really want it.

I'm doing full tow and SAS. I blew past my budget of $55,000 for a new vehicle a long time ago.

My opinion is if you are keeping it until after warranty, add extended warranty to your budget ($4000 on the S). Air suspension often breaks between 7-11 years (no facts, sorry).

If you can wait and don't care about air and it's perceived benefits, the coil will give you security so extended warranty is not needed (though the electric seats and fwd is a concern). This will save a lot of money immediately and down the road. If Tesla does not include coil in future 6 seat configuration, then coiled X's may even hold its value better in the future.

If budget is tight, perhaps deleting autopilot for the meantime and having the ability on doing it in the future is better. I'm not doing autopilot. I love driving way too much and enjoy the carpool lane to have the need to do autopilot. Also only doing the wrap on sensitive areas like the front end of vehicle and back of seats will further lessen the expense.

Foreseeable expense
SAS- 1250
Tow- 750
Hitch- 250 (200?)
Ext. Warr- $4000
Wrap and ceramic coat- $2500-$7500
Window Tint- 250-700
sunshade- priceless

Though I'm starting to wonder where I can drive this thing... The FWD really attracts attention and may be a little too ostentatious even here in LA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mlouie23 and BrianD
Oh of course it's covered under warranty. Though these things break AFTER warranty. I had a lexus gx470 and suspension broke after warranty. They all break eventually.

One thing good about the SAS is the kneeling feature which is good for the elderly and children getting in and out. The small wow factor and the option of better handling and performance when set to low. $1250 is a good price if you really want it.

I'm doing full tow and SAS. I blew past my budget of $55,000 for a new vehicle a long time ago.

My opinion is if you are keeping it until after warranty, add extended warranty to your budget ($4000 on the S). Air suspension often breaks between 7-11 years (no facts, sorry).

If you can wait and don't care about air and it's perceived benefits, the coil will give you security so extended warranty is not needed (though the electric seats and fwd is a concern). This will save a lot of money immediately and down the road. If Tesla does not include coil in future 6 seat configuration, then these may even appreciate in the future.

If budget is tight, perhaps deleting autopilot for the meantime and having the ability on doing it in the future is better. I'm not doing autopilot. I love driving way too much and enjoy the carpool lane to have the need to do autopilot. Also only doing the wrap on sensitive areas like the front end of vehicle and back of seats will further lessen the expense.

Foreseeable expense
SAS- 1250
Tow- 750
Hitch- 250 (200?)
Ext. Warr- $4000
Wrap and ceramic coat- $2500-$7500
Window Tint- 250-700
Experience- priceless

You forgot to add the sunshade under your "forseeable expense" plus the annual inspection for it and extended warranty.

Can the car still be driven once the SAS goes bad?

You forgot to add the sunshade under your "forseeable expense" plus the annual inspection for it and extended warranty.

Can the car still be driven once the SAS goes bad?

Yes it should but it will be at low setting and will keep bottoming out creating a painful jarring ride and potentially dangerous situation. At least in my experience, I could not drive fast as quick maneuvers can be dangerous on it. If air suspension goes bad, you want it fixed.

Annual service is not required to my understanding and is a given along with tires and electricity cost. I've edited the foreseeable expense to include the sunshade.

Last edited:
Are you my twin? I went to that text drive 2/27 or 2/28 then confirmed. I'm also doing exactly what you are doing. Flying to sj with family, factory tour etc...

At this point, I might as well go to Yosemite or Sequoia, then Santa Barbara before heading back to LA. Taking it slow and having fun to complete the doppelganger experience. What color X?

Since we've established that were doppelgangers, I might as well go ahead on the full tow pkg only because you did it. Now I guess I should buy an unneeded trailer to tow stuff I never knew I needed to tow. Great!

Yeah...I hit the quote button once before and messed everything up...Now I get how this reply thing works so thanks.

Too funny about our similar trips. I'm hoping we get the call sooner and we are one of the first 75D pickups since we are getting them at the factory. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Too bad you aren't getting autopilot. The new "Tesla Tether" allows for us to drive bumper to bumper as long as the 2 autopilots are talking. Saves on electrons since the back one is "drafting" the whole time!! HAHA

Here is my specs:
75D (original 70D of course) SAS (with discount) PUP (cuz I'm lazy about opening my own doors) tow package (eh...what's $550 for something I don't need now but maybe do later but doubt it) Autopilot (sooooo much fun, but you can download it later without paying taxes on it for the life of the car so why not) 6 seats (nice and roomy) Figured ash décor (looked nice on the one we test drove) Tan interior (my wife was tired of always getting black...I really wanted white but got vetoed) Black headliner (less likely to get stained by kids fingers, 22" turbine (the look is amazing. Saved $1000 by ordering early) hmmmmmmm...what did I miss?

Reactions: mlouie23
I called Tesla corporate and upgraded my 75D to Air suspension. My order should be updated on the website within 2 weeks according to them.

I also got to change my vehicle to black (from white), ultra white seats (from multi-pattern), black headliner (from light) without the $500 change fee.

The way I see it, I get 50% off air suspension, got to change a bunch of stuff sans $500 fee, and hopefully get my car sooner in the summer (for 2 road trips with the family). I'd rather take summer trips in the Tesla than my current Suburban that gets 12-14 MPG so I'll also save on gas and CO2 emissions. I didn't need the tow package so I didn't add it. I'd rather tow in my Suburban.

Win-win situation.

Thanks everybody for the informative posts. I wouldn't have known about this otherwise.

Yes it should but it will be at low setting and will keep bottoming out creating a painful jarring ride and potentially dangerous situation. At least in my experience, I could not drive fast as quick maneuvers can be dangerous on it. If air suspension goes bad, you want it fixed.

Annual service is not required to my understanding and is a given along with tires and electricity cost. I've edited the foreseeable expense to include the sunshade.

For somereason I thought when SAS goes bad it turns into coil suspension. By anayways I plan on purchasing the extended 4 years warranty. I believe that can be purchased anytime before the included warranty expires (so like 4 years from now)?

I am gonna get my sunshade insured, I hope my insurance company doesn't charge a premium