Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels for Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't have to run the spacers up front for clearance, just aesthetics. With the greater offset of the rear rims on the front, they sat in more. But, it still clears the calipers.
Thanks for the info, I see what you are doing.

The wheels I got for the car are:
F: 17x7.5 et40. Thats is 4mm further out then stock (should clear calipers).
R: 18x7.5 et40. Thats is -2mm, further recessed then stock in rear, may catch calipers without spacer.

I suppose to equal it out to factory geometry, I could do some combination of:
a) add 6mm spacer on the rears only.
b) add 3mm spacer on front and 10mm spacer on rear.

Will mount tires before finalizing the offset with shims. I don’t want to use spacers where not required, so option (a) seems like the option I will go with.

Reactions: eHorses and JaxonDM
Thanks for the info, I see what you are doing.

The wheels I got for the car are:
F: 17x7.5 et40. Thats is 4mm further out then stock (should clear calipers).
R: 18x7.5 et40. Thats is -2mm, further recessed then stock in rear, may catch calipers without spacer.

I suppose to equal it out to factory geometry, I could do some combination of:
a) add 6mm spacer on the rears only.
b) add 3mm spacer on front and 10mm spacer on rear.

Will mount tires before finalizing the offset with shims. I don’t want to use spacers where not required, so option (a) seems like the option I will go with.
Hope you can update here if that setup works. We will work on my uncle's new Roadster project after we installed the rotors and mud tires on the Wrangler this weekend.

Hope you can update here if that setup works. We will work on my uncle's new Roadster project after we installed the rotors and mud tires on the Wrangler this weekend.
Will do, how quickly do you need an update? The wheels arrived a couple of days ago. I would like to hold off on tires until more options are refreshed. The car goes thru more tires in rear then front, if I get a set of tires that were released in ‘16, when I need a replacement rear it won’t be available. Not many options for 17/18 setup.

Reactions: JaxonDM
Will do, how quickly do you need an update? The wheels arrived a couple of days ago. I would like to hold off on tires until more options are refreshed. The car goes thru more tires in rear then front, if I get a set of tires that were released in ‘16, when I need a replacement rear it won’t be available. Not many options for 17/18 setup.
Can you please share link(s) to where you got the rims. Thanks

Lot’s of options exist if you go 17 or 18. When you want 17 & 18 the options are only a few wheels. It’s a 10 spoke ‘technical’ design. Please ignore manufacturer description saying it’s a 9 spoke 👀

Reactions: JaxonDM and eHorses
Things got delayed and we might work on it at the end of the month. Appreciate any update, sir!

Way back in 2011, I contacted SSR Wheels to ask whether their Type-C semi-solid forged rims were available in a 5-bolt pattern that would fit the Roadster. At the time, they said they'd need to crash-test 40 of them due to import regulations. I guess they don't make custom wheels domestically (I'm US based). They've also discontinued the Type-C, which is a shame because some of those were very light - in the range of 15.0 lbs to 17.00 lbs. I used 15" Type-C SSR Wheels on another car, and those were only 8.0 lbs!

In my notes for other brands of wheels, I see that:

The GM + Lotus Vauxhall VX220 (UK) and Opel Speedster (Germany) used the 5 hole bolt pattern of the Tesla Roadster, rather than the 4 hole bolt pattern of the Elise. For some reason, I assumed the wheels might work.

Other notes show the Sector 111 stellaCORSE wheels at 13.9 lbs for the 6.5 x 16" and 16.36 lbs for the 7.5 x 17"

All of my notes are from a decade ago, so there's probably no hope of finding these particular models.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
Pic

Attachments

• IMG_8544.jpeg
    IMG_8544.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Love
Reactions: eHorses