Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed - how exterminate rat in car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you have an old school car or my catless WRX no way your Volt is putting out that much CO to do anything.

I believe you now. I didn't know my 2011 Volt didn't emit enough CO to kill a rat. But it didn't. I ran the Volt until it started missing very badly, and then died, so the air in the garage got too bad to run the car. I guess the O2 got too low. But obviously the CO didn't get high enough.

This worked perfectly fine for me on few occasions. Nothing else (cages, electronic/sonic devices) were smart enough for the pesky rodents.

Thanks, I have almost the same thing, by the same manufacturer, except its bigger, for rats instead of mice. But my feeling is now that he's survived one snap-trap (see video above) he's not going to fall for another. But its out, just in case.

Ah, for this question, one must simply seek @McRat

For indoor use, CCI .22LR shotshells are about the safest ammunition. Range is under 20'. Kills rats, mice, pigeons like they were hit by lightning. No, an air-rifle is not safer nor does it do less damage to the building, nor kill as effectively.

The newer generation of rat traps are black plastic and safer to arm and more effective than conventional traps. Don't go cheap. The genuine ones are more effective. Wash hands and use clean gloves when setting traps. Rats are smart and have a keen sense of smell. Peanut butter works as well as expensive trigger bait. Put traps in runways. You can see feces and trails in around perimeters. Wash traps when done. Rubbing your gloves in plant life can help mask your scent.

Glue boards should be nailed down to a board. The glue is hard to remove from certain surfaces. A dab of peanut butter again. Wash hands, put in runs, etc.

Poison? Last resort. Do you really want flies and the smell, and stain a dead rat brings? If so, fresh bait blocks should be put into an enclosure that pets cannot get into. Change bait monthly. Wash hands.

Largest rat I've caught was in our laundry room on the dairy. It was a freak. It appeared to be Norwegian rat, but it was black in color. When my wife said there was a big rat in the laundry room, I brought a gloves, broom and a dustpan. Like in the movie Jaws, it was a "we need a bigger boat" moment. The root of the tail was size of a quarter, and it was about 18" long. The tail that is. The body was size of a small house cat, I kid you not. Your thumb would fit in it's mouth, and it's incisors were better than 1/2" long.
It was the first and only time I used a firearm inside a house. A single CCI shotshell put it down with no damage to the house at a range of about 24". I probably should have weighed it or at least taken pictures looking back. I've never seen a rat larger than 1/2 that size ever since. It was actually heavy to carry.

Last edited:
Ok, all three dropcams show no rat in the garage last night. A cat came in to investigate about 11pm, found nothing that interested him, and left. Super glad he didn't step on either of the snap traps.

Is it dead, inside my car?

Did it leave?

Did it just take a night off? Every other night I've seen it on multiple dropcams.

I did one thing I have not had a chance to mention yet. Yesterday when I went to the Home Depot to buy some boric acid to mix with peanut butter (left multiple blobs of this in the garage last night, all untouched this morning), I noticed something called a "Gopher gasser". What the hell, I thought. At home I lit one off in the road in front of my house and then drove the front of the Model S over it. It made an impressive amount of smoke, but the wind was blowing so only half of it went up into the front end where I think the rat is (was) living. I didn't see the rat exit the car. Not sure if this had any effect, or killed it.

Will keep monitoring the cameras. I give myself a 50-50 shot at being out of this nightmare. Truly thankful for all the advice. Will keep you posted, if anyone checks back.