Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding an additional Powerwall in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Solar/Powerwall solution installed in the house. I currently have 3 powerwalls and am considering an additional Powerwall to get a few more hours of self powering.

So, I hit up TESLA about adding a 4th powerwall stacking it to one of the other units already installed.

They came back with

Pricing Details
1 Powerwall $6,500
Installation Fees $1,500
Permitting Fees $500
Initial Payment -$99
Total Amount Due $8,401

The installation seems High to me.

What are you thoughts??

So I have a Solar/Powerwall solution installed in the house. I currently have 3 powerwalls and am considering an additional Powerwall to get a few more hours of self powering.

So, I hit up TESLA about adding a 4th powerwall stacking it to one of the other units already installed.

They came back with

Pricing Details
1 Powerwall $6,500
Installation Fees $1,500
Permitting Fees $500
Initial Payment -$99
Total Amount Due $8,401

The installation seems High to me.

What are you thoughts??

Looks like a standard fee. You could always raise the issue of the install costs with them.

That isn't the case in my county. The permits are filed online. and the inspector comes out a different day from the installation.

The inspector comes out a different day than installation in our location too, but tesla still has to have someone there to answer questions if the inspector has them (in normal circumstances anyway). No idea how inspections are now in your location during Covid 19 though.

They charge a flat $500 for permits to cover both the permits, and peoples time filing for it and talking to inspectors etc. If you get anything permitted through a contractor, they normally build that cost into their quote, its just not broken out for you to see it like it is with tesla.

I've Just signed up for the Tesla Solar Panel pkg with power walls. For my area, fort worth, the price varied on the number of powerwalls, price without incentives:

first: 10500
second: 14000
third: 17500
forth: 22100

the price difference from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3 is $3500 and the price difference from 3 to 4 was 4600, why is the fourth so much more expensive?

Reactions: ra88it
The inspector comes out a different day than installation in our location too, but tesla still has to have someone there to answer questions if the inspector has them (in normal circumstances anyway). No idea how inspections are now in your location during Covid 19 though.

They charge a flat $500 for permits to cover both the permits, and peoples time filing for it and talking to inspectors etc. If you get anything permitted through a contractor, they normally build that cost into their quote, its just not broken out for you to see it like it is with tesla.
Here the inspector only interacts with the contractor if there is an issue. The last inspection I had when we did the solar/3 powerwall installation the inspection took <10 min. and the only reason I had to be available was to let him in the garage where the electrical panels are installed.

I've Just signed up for the Tesla Solar Panel pkg with power walls. For my area, fort worth, the price varied on the number of powerwalls, price without incentives:

the price difference from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3 is $3500 and the price difference from 3 to 4 was 4600, why is the fourth so much more expensive?

Just a guess, but additional requirements to meet codes when your battery capacity exceeds a certain threshold. What does Tesla say?

Here the inspector only interacts with the contractor if there is an issue. The last inspection I had when we did the solar/3 powerwall installation the inspection took <10 min. and the only reason I had to be available was to let him in the garage where the electrical panels are installed.
I am in Florida and for both the solar installation and the powerwall installation, an electrician from the install company had to be present during inspection. Maybe different codes for different areas. Plus I’d be annoyed if the inspection failed because there wasn’t someone around to answer questions. Both my inspections passed without issue...

4th requires a different combo box for the PV/PW service disconnect.

Tesla team showed up today about 0930. Wrapped up the install about 1200. Pretty straight forward upgrade, and done. View media item 121813View media item 121812
There was a bit of confusion because the team was told they would need to update my generation panel to a 225 amp panel....but the one I have is already a 225 amp panel. needless to say, he was relived he didn't have to hang an new panel and potentially re-pipe the install to fit a different panel configuration (Which they sent with him).

Last edited: