Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Speed Limiter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an adaptive speed limiter that follows posted speed limit in manual driving (None Auto Pilot). If the posted speed limit is 25mph, the car will automatically match, adapt accordingly. (i'm aware of the ramifications on the fwy when everyone is going much higher haha, I imagine one is probably on the right most lane.... hopefully)

I'm aware of Speed Limit Mode, seems to be a fixed limit.

1694973859444.png

I dont even understand this question, at all. You said:

Is there an adaptive speed limiter that follows posted speed limit in manual driving (None Auto Pilot). If the posted speed limit is 25mph, the car will automatically match, adapt accordingly.

If you are not in autopilot, but manual driving, there isnt anything to "Adapt" to regards to speed limits. "Car automatically match" what, exactly, in manual driving mode meaning there is no autopilot or FSD active?

The closest thing matching this is TACC. TACC, in addition to Autosteer, are features of Autopilot. You would set the Set Speed to Speed Limit. TACC. is meant for use on controlled access roads like highways. If you use this in town, remember it will not stop at traffic lights or stop signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyp36rmax
I dont even understand this question, at all. You said:

If you are not in autopilot, but manual driving, there isnt anything to "Adapt" to regards to speed limits. "Car automatically match" what, exactly, in manual driving mode meaning there is no autopilot or FSD active?
What I meant to say is it's adapting to the posted limit. You still have control of the throttle and wheel. We have visibility of the those limits on the screen. instead of setting a hard limit it's 'adapting' to the posted.

What I meant to say is it's adapting to the posted limit. You still have control of the throttle and wheel. We have visibility of the those limits on the screen. instead of setting a hard limit it's 'adapting' to the posted.
The speed limit mode you linked above is basically there to prevent someone from driving above a certain speed. Its not "car can only drive the street speed limits". Its "car is limited to driving XX speed or below, in all circumstances".

So, no, there is no adaptive speed limit mode on manual driving. Its "speed limited to XX or slower", not "speed limited to posted speed limits".

Reactions: hyp36rmax
The speed limit mode you linked above is basically there to prevent someone from driving above a certain speed. Its not "car can only drive the street speed limits". Its "car is limited to driving XX speed or below, in all circumstances".

So, no, there is no adaptive speed limit mode on manual driving. Its "speed limited to XX or slower", not "speed limited to posted speed limits".

Correct! That's exactly how I understood Speed Limit Mode implementation today. Was just curious if there was anything beyond that,

What I meant to say is it's adapting to the posted limit.

For me, TACC has never adapted to posted speeds on a divided highway. If you have it set for 5 over posted, for example, and posted limit has been 60 but then changes to 50, the change in speed limit is ignored and 65 is maintained, traffic allowing. In order for TACC to slow to posted, you must double tap the speed limit sign on the display. Seems it should/could adapt, but doesn't.