Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Safety Systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our recent return trip from Victoria we drove from Bathurst to the Hollydene SC down through the mountains. At Wattle Flat we encountered a large 'roo standing upright in the centre of the road seemingly challenging me to a round or two.

The forward collision systems absolutely failed to identify the obstacle. No reaction from the vehicle at all. Earlier forum suggestions that kangaroos are simply ignored because the Tesla systems contain no information about them seems to be dead accurate.

Being such an aware driver I did slow down smoothly and did not frighten my wife at all (luckily for me). I have the incident on camera footage and will show it to my teenage grandchildren as a demonstration that vigilance is required even in a super modern vehicle.

The 'roo eventually reacted to my horn and wandered off into the scrub.

Reactions: Hairyman
Earlier on in the development of Autopilot, it had difficulty in detecting stopped traffic and there were a few incidents, including a couple of crashes.
More recently it’s become a lot better, but it’s an indication that detecting a stationary object is surprisingly difficult without also causing many phantom braking issues.

Reactions: dronus
Earlier on in the development of Autopilot, it had difficulty in detecting stopped traffic and there were a few incidents, including a couple of crashes.
More recently it’s become a lot better, but it’s an indication that detecting a stationary object is surprisingly difficult without also causing many phantom braking issues.
Speaking of Phantom Braking ... Try driving a newish Toyota Prado around a right hand sweeping corner at 110kmh which has a T Intersection on the left (outside) with a car waiting for you to go past and a road train up yo ass.. lol, Phantom braking hit hard and i nearly got cleaned up by the truck behind me.
The sound of the train airhorn from the truck rattled my brain loose in my skull hahaha.