Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally ordered 2 Model Ys -Tesla wont refund one of the orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife ordered a Y the day after prices dropped and then accidentally ordered a second. She has a Tesla account but wasn't logged in at the time of the first order, then logged in and the reservation didn't show up in the account. No confirmation email at this point either. So ~25 minutes later assuming it hadn't gone through she ordered another. The confirmation email for the 1st arrived 50 minutes after the first order, the 2nd 8 minutes later. At this point she called the number on the reservation screen (888-51-TESLA) and got through to someone who told her that it's non-refundable. She explained the situation to them but they refused to refund one of the order fees. We've both called multiple times since then and left voicemails, but haven't had any of the calls returned.

Has anyone else dealt with this? We haven't cancelled the second order yet since we're hoping to have the $250 refunded or applied to the first, but at this point I'm thinking of involving Visa. I get they're cracking down on people selling reservations, and I sympathize with them on that, but it seems like this is a legitimate case of thinking the order hadn't gone through as it took almost an hour for an automated email to be sent.

First check the consumer laws in your state that may provide a way to null the purchase.
Also, depending on the length of time the credit card company may be able to block the purchase.

Some states give you a 3-day protection from high pressure salesman.

I remeber that someone's kid was playing with the phone and ordered the Acceleration option.
I believe that Tesla cancelled it because the App didn't provided a confirmation before making the order.

Otherwise, I think you could sell and transfer the reservation?
Maybe provide the options you selected and someone will be interested.
I think you need to keep the e-mail but you can change the name of the owner.

Last edited:
I'm not at all saying that it's right, but doing a chargeback is a good way to get your other reservations canceled, and keep Tesla from doing business with you in the future. Amazon and others are pretty aggressive with it, too, and will similarly ban you in many cases.

It's absolutely your right (though whether you'd win or not is a different story...from the sounds of it, you could risk losing $250 given the clear non-refundable language, and getting no cars to show for it) and if you don't exercise it, big companies will keep pushing folks around....but just be aware of the potential consequences.

Reactions: CaptStealthy
I'm not at all saying that it's right, but doing a chargeback is a good way to get your other reservations canceled, and keep Tesla from doing business with you in the future. Amazon and others are pretty aggressive with it, too, and will similarly ban you in many cases.

It's absolutely your right (though whether you'd win or not is a different story...from the sounds of it, you could risk losing $250 given the clear non-refundable language, and getting no cars to show for it) and if you don't exercise it, big companies will keep pushing folks around....but just be aware of the potential consequences.
Don't let Tesla cancelling your second order, otherwise you will lose the reservation fee.

Now, I would be surprised that Tesla would cancel both reservations and keep the reservation for both of them.

Even though, Tesla refuses selling a car because of the cancelation,
the husband could order the car or the OP could create a new Tesla account and order the car?

Don't let Tesla cancelling your second order, otherwise you will lose the reservation fee.

Now, I would be surprised that Tesla would cancel both reservations and keep the reservation for both of them.

Even though, Tesla refuses selling a car because of the cancelation,
the husband could order the car or the OP could create a new Tesla account and order the car?
My guess is that Tesla would cancel both reservations, but refund one deposit. Reason being that Tesla cancelled one of their own accord, but the duplicate one would be the fault of the OP (in their view), so no refund there. Again, not necessarily saying it's "right," but likely well within their rights as a whole.

I remeber that someone's kid was playing with the phone and ordered the Acceleration option.
I believe that Tesla cancelled it because the App didn't provided a confirmation before making the order.
That was before they had a 24 hour return policy on the upgrades.

That could end up with both orders canceled and your household being banned from ever ordering a Tesla.

That could end up with both orders canceled and your household being banned from ever ordering a Tesla.

Customer is king .jpg

I agree with not doing a chargeback, I know I mentioned it possibly in my initial post but the (unstated) intent was that they might be able to get in touch with Tesla where we've failed. I've used it once successfully to get in touch with a company and resolve the issue where other attempts had failed. We've been calling Tesla multiple times per day and been unable to actually get anyone on the phone. My wife even drove to the local service center, walked in, and there was nobody there. Mistakes happen and I'm not debating it was a mistake to order 2, my issue is that most companies would look at this and agree that oops, it took 52 minutes to get your confirmation email and didn't show up in your account so you assumed it hadn't gone through, sorry about that, we'll refund one of your order fees.

If we need to eat the $250 it's not going to change our life one way or another, just annoying that it's so difficult to get in touch with anyone at the company we're going to write a 60k check to.

If anyone has dealt with this I'd appreciate hearing their experience, good bad or otherwise. I am also curious if anyone has actually seen Tesla retaliate against a chargeback (or other behavior) by banning them from future sales.

Reactions: sunwarriors
If anyone has dealt with this I'd appreciate hearing their experience, good bad or otherwise. I am also curious if anyone has actually seen Tesla retaliate against a chargeback (or other behavior) by banning them from future sales.
So far I have only seen reports of Tesla banning entire households from future purchases when they sold a vehicle shortly after purchasing it. (The order agreement doesn't allow purchase for resale.)

They didn’t prioritize your order? They did it for me maybe I got very lucky. I ordered M3 then changed my mind and ordered MY. In between I also ordered solar. Vin assigned the morning after MY order, must have treated me as VIP lol. Cancelled M3 later but $250 well spent.

They didn’t prioritize your order? They did it for me maybe I got very lucky. I ordered M3 then changed my mind and ordered MY. In between I also ordered solar. Vin assigned the morning after MY order, must have treated me as VIP lol. Cancelled M3 later but $250 well spent.
My guess is you got lucky being much closer to them than I am? Or you ordered a set of options they happened to be producing? I've read a few similar stories and am hoping we have a similar experience.

I agree with not doing a chargeback, I know I mentioned it possibly in my initial post but the (unstated) intent was that they might be able to get in touch with Tesla where we've failed. I've used it once successfully to get in touch with a company and resolve the issue where other attempts had failed. We've been calling Tesla multiple times per day and been unable to actually get anyone on the phone. My wife even drove to the local service center, walked in, and there was nobody there. Mistakes happen and I'm not debating it was a mistake to order 2, my issue is that most companies would look at this and agree that oops, it took 52 minutes to get your confirmation email and didn't show up in your account so you assumed it hadn't gone through, sorry about that, we'll refund one of your order fees.

If we need to eat the $250 it's not going to change our life one way or another, just annoying that it's so difficult to get in touch with anyone at the company we're going to write a 60k check to.

Talk to a rep at the store? Or...try again when you are scheduling delivery? I'd think they'd be much more amenable to a refund at that time.

I just moved my order fee from a 3P that i ordered during the price drop back to a MYP as we realized we needed more room. Called Tesla, rep let me know to cancel 3P, provided 3P and MYP Reservation Numbers and they applied the $250 order fee to my MYP reservation. For awareness this was on top of the 250 i had to put down to place the MYP order. Therefore, i had 500 dollars down now on my MYP. From date of call to Tesla to applying to my new reservation=less than 48hrs.

I just moved my order fee from a 3P that i ordered during the price drop back to a MYP as we realized we needed more room. Called Tesla, rep let me know to cancel 3P, provided 3P and MYP Reservation Numbers and they applied the $250 order fee to my MYP reservation. For awareness this was on top of the 250 i had to put down to place the MYP order. Therefore, i had 500 dollars down now on my MYP. From date of call to Tesla to applying to my new reservation=less than 48hrs.
That's exactly what I'm hoping they'll do, thanks for the reply. Did you call 888-51-TESLA or some other number?