Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can chime in with my month worth of experience... I can't define what on/off is... I don't think the car has the equivalent of "accessory" in an ICE car. There's no "on" or "off" for the engine/motor. You have your phone/key and just shift it into F or R.

Reactions: Rcmpnc
As long as you are inside, the display and the 12v will continue to work. When you get out of the seat and close the door they turn off. So you cannot keep your refrigerator running in the trunk while you are inside at a party (Really? You are going to a party? Wear a mask plz).

You can put the car in camp mode and that will keep the car on w/o you being there. Also with you in the car, it would turn off after maybe an hour w/o camp mode. I have only used camp mode a few times, to sleep in the car. I don't remember how to get the screen to turn off to go to sleep, but it is off when I wake up.

Thanks so far - the on/off concept was something that hit me randomly. Camp mode came to mind, too. I was thinking of those times when I just want to listen to music etc w/o worrying about climate and what not. I’m sure I could just turn climate off. It just seemed a tad backward to accomplish what we have/had in ICE vehicles. #firstworldproblems :)

The climate thing I miss the most in a Tesla is frickin' VENT mode. In my GFs Maverick back in the '80s the lever just went from Heat to Vent. Personally, I had a VW Bus, so there was no climate control. As cars got AC that vent control lever was still there, along with an AC button that cooled the outside or heated air. If you were going up a hill and you wanted full horsepower you just touched the AC button again and it turned off indicated by a light.

With the Tesla, you have to turn the AC button off, but additionally, you have to turn the temp to the bottom (LO) so the electric heat doesn't come on, and when you do this the fan speed is no longer automatic so you have to manually crank it up if it gets too hot inside or crank it down if it gets too cold outside. Seems like something the car could figure out.

Maybe the heat exchanger is Tesla's way of saying "It's OK to have the climate system on, you are not wasting that much energy", But I just keep shivering in the car that is only warmed by my seat heater, thinking I am being efficient.