Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had our second set of shafts done 5000kms ago. They were awesome new but after 5000kms a slight shudder is back.

Interesting Tesla "fix" I just noticed after 2018.26 update. Tesla has definitely reduced the acceleration curve for high and very high settings. Much slower than very low to standard suspension settings.

Looking forwrd to the new reengineered permanent fix parts.

684E21C0-04C9-4903-8C9F-9B3ACE00CC40.jpeg
I just got my 2016 X90D back from SC after they replaced both shafts. I’ve been noticing shudder for a few thou miles and finally went reading here to learn the issue. I’m at 20k miles and have rarely taken suspension out of normal, nor did I need to floor it to feel it. Acceleration had been silky smooth. I’m also getting odd tire wear on fronts outside edges. I had the 12k service and assumed they inspected and rotated across too. No way I can trust this in a Cleveland snow belt winter, so tires are in my future. But could this wear be related to the shudder?

I’ve carefully monitored tire pressures too from the outset which are stable ar 42 or higher hot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
View attachment 330190 I just got my 2016 X90D back from SC after they replaced both shafts. I’ve been noticing shudder for a few thou miles and finally went reading here to learn the issue. I’m at 20k miles and have rarely taken suspension out of normal, nor did I need to floor it to feel it. Acceleration had been silky smooth. I’m also getting odd tire wear on fronts outside edges. I had the 12k service and assumed they inspected and rotated across too. No way I can trust this in a Cleveland snow belt winter, so tires are in my future. But could this wear be related to the shudder?

I’ve carefully monitored tire pressures too from the outset which are stable ar 42 or higher hot.

That picture doesn't look right. Is that the top cross member touching the top of the tire????

I got the half shafts replaced last week on my X P100 @ 22k miles. Had the shudder for quite a while, noticed it at 13k. My average wh/mi has dropped from 480 to 430 over the past 1200 miles of driving. Will be interested to see if it is overall more efficient now that it doesn't shake all over the place.

Silky smooth acceleration again is nice.

Asked about new parts, they shrugged and didnt say they've heard anything.

One more thing. I’m in the air to Fremont and my first ever tour tomorrow! Anyone have any luck getting Tesla technical people to talk about things like this on a tour? Or is this going to be totally scripted, not to mention no look at Model 3 line?

Nope, its' actually by someone who really has no idea what they're talking about, and is really only teaching someone things (incorrectly) who has no idea about Tesla.

Many times I corrected my tour guide lol

• Helpful
Reactions: Ampster
I drove around on Low for several thousand miles, then flipped back to Standard for more thousands. The tires had around 27K miles on them and the inside edge of the rear tires was splitting :(

If you ride around on Low then keep a close eye on your rear tires. Mine were fine on one check, then about 4,000 miles later I looked again and tears had appeared.

We paid for a quick car and yet either you ride on Standard and can't floor it, or you ride on Low and eat tires, or somehow predict when you'll need speed and toggle the suspension on the fly. Totally nerfs the experience. Everything else about the X is great!

• Informative
Reactions: krouebi
Have mine scheduled to be replaced for a second time. First set replaced at 6K, shudder was back at 16 K, I am now at 27K in 16 months of ownership and cannot wait any longer for the third version of these driveshafts to come out. The second generation scafts part numbers end in “B” indicating they are revised parts from the first versions which ended in “A”. When these elusive new version finally appears I assume the part numbers will end with “C”.

1027111-00-B/1027115-00-B for the left and right driveshafts, and 1030632-00-A which is a jackshaft, whatever one of those is.

I've just replaced the Michelins with Conti Crosscontact Sport LX 265/45R20 and am awaiting my third set of front shafts at 44000kms.

What I've also done is buy two 9" rims so I can run a square setup and rotate properly. A wheel alignment was performed on LOW setting. Treadwear rating is 480 vs 200 I think for the Michelins.

Can't wait for the permanent fix "C" version.

I've just replaced the Michelins with Conti Crosscontact Sport LX 265/45R20 and am awaiting my third set of front shafts at 44000kms.

What I've also done is buy two 9" rims so I can run a square setup and rotate properly. A wheel alignment was performed on LOW setting. Treadwear rating is 480 vs 200 I think for the Michelins.

Can't wait for the permanent fix "C" version.
Did you also replace your rears and were those 275s. How do I know if they replaced 1/2 shafts or jack shafts?

Did you also replace your rears and were those 275s. How do I know if they replaced 1/2 shafts or jack shafts?

All four wheels are now 9" with the same 265's on every corner so I can rotate conventionally. Fronts are now 10mm wider with no rubbing, the rears are 10mm narrower with the overall combined load rating actually higher than before with a slight reduction in speed rating. Still stupid faster than I'll ever go.

The new front shafts were replaced last week, third set, and all is good again, for the next 15000kms or so. Hopefully by then there will be the final "C revision" part for the permanent fix.

Ask them. It should also mention on the job list which parts were replaced.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Gwgan and krouebi
I Had my MX p100d one year service done and noticed acceleration shudder as described by other members soon after getting it back... I noticed the range mode was on ... it went away when I turned it of ... no clue why ... any thoughts ?

There is another thread on this in the main section and someone had posted that their SC told them that Tesla will have a fix soon (probably Elon time). This might not be something that they may be able to fix, otherwise they would have done it already because it seems to show up on every X out there and costing them money to replace parts constantly.

However, they will make money later because if you own an X then it might not be wise to not buy extended warranty after new car warranty expires.

Interesting
Did the shutter come back when you turned range mode back on ?
Yes... but fast forward few more days of driving ... it’s not shudder ... the whole car is now vibrating violently at 65mph plus ... I just left the car at the service center today ... telling them to fix it as it’s undrivable ... I got no idea what the heck they did to the car ... it’s was perfect when going in for service ... now it’s a mess ... :(