Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC charging (in Europe) - MX 2018 - slow speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a 2018 MX for a week or so and I'm pretty happy with it but I think I got a problem.
It doesn't seem to charge at the expected power.

0)Single phase works fine 31-32 amps = 6kw
1)While using the mobile connector which is rated 3p*16a, the car shows 3p , 16a , 230v =?! 6kw instead of the 11kw expected. Tried in different places
2)While using 22kw type 2 it only shows 3p*24a = 11kw ? shouldn't it get 32a - and closer to 22kw ?

1)While using the mobile connector which is rated 3p*16a, the car shows 3p , 16a , 230v =?! 6kw instead of the 11kw expected. Tried in different places
2)While using 22kw type 2 it only shows 3p*24a = 11kw ? shouldn't it get 32a - and closer to 22kw ?
They haven't had the 22 kW chargers for many years now.

With a 2018 Model X, I'm not sure if they still had the 17 kW chargers or if they had already moved on to the 11 kW ones that all of the cars have had for the last few years.

Upvote 0
They haven't had the 22 kW chargers for many years now.

With a 2018 Model X, I'm not sure if they still had the 17 kW chargers or if they had already moved on to the 11 kW ones that all of the cars have had for the last few years.
I think most 2018s had 11kW chargers, but is 3 phase 16a 230v getting 6kW explicable? I believe volts times amps equals watts is the rule, which isn't what OP is seeing, but I thought I previously read something about how the Euro vehicles have to have the chargers wired differently, and I'm not sure wht impact that might have or which on-board charger geerations it might apply to...

Upvote 0
I think most 2018s had 11kW chargers, but is 3 phase 16a 230v getting 6kW explicable? I believe volts times amps equals watts is the rule, which isn't what OP is seeing, but I thought I previously read something about how the Euro vehicles have to have the chargers wired differently,
Right, that part is confusing and doesn't make sense to me either, but I hadn't said anything about it before, hoping someone from a European area might know what was going on there.

If it really is getting 3 phase and shows that on the display, then the math should be volts times amps and then multiply by 3. So that 230 X 16 X 3 = 11 kW. I'm not sure why it would be showing only 6 kW.

Upvote 0
Right, that part is confusing and doesn't make sense to me either, but I hadn't said anything about it before, hoping someone from a European area might know what was going on there.

If it really is getting 3 phase and shows that on the display, then the math should be volts times amps and then multiply by 3. So that 230 X 16 X 3 = 11 kW. I'm not sure why it would be showing only 6 kW.
I got a reply on another thread- seem one phase is faulty so i get only 6-7 kw

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I got a reply on another thread- seem one phase is faulty so i get only 6-7 kw
Ooooh, that makes a lot of sense. It's basically the same thing we have a lot of other forum threads on with the PCS failure, but I didn't recognize the symptom in the context of 3 phase. All our cars are just single phase, so people just talk about the amps. So a lot of people saw a failure where the car couldn't take 48A anymore and was just limited to 32A. That's the same thing you saw, where one of the three modules in the charger failed.

Reactions: costea84@gmail
Upvote 0