Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with AP1, I figured out an inexpensive way to secure your LED under the seats!

Large black binder clips and some heavy duty double sided tape!

1) Find wires
2) Put double sided tape on clips
3) Clip the back of LEDs, then remove the binder silver binder wings.
4) remove backing from tape and press against the curved side of the black plastic thingy (not sure what it is). See pictures
5) Enjoy your DIY ambient lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_9954.JPG
    IMG_9954.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    513.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_9955.JPG
    IMG_9955.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9956.JPG
    IMG_9956.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9957.JPG
    IMG_9957.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 177
For those with AP1, I figured out an inexpensive way to secure your LED under the seats! Large black binder clips and some heavy duty double sided tape!

AWESOME! Picking up my AP1 MX on Saturday (CPO) and already purchased/received the AO light kit. Was wondering how I was going to handle this-- that should be nice/easy. Appreciate the how-to and great photos, thanks for sharing.

Curious question here-- when will these lights come on in the AP1 non-PUP MX? Are they on whenever the headlights are on? Only when the dome is on? (i.e.: doors open) Just curious when these two foot well type lights will actually be on/illuminated since, IIRC, there is no "control" for ambient lights on the touchscreen since the car lacks PUP. Eh?

Very good solution!

Just a heads up that we only have 2 packs of the Model X full kits left, then we're out of stock until mid/late February. We were hoping to get our next shipment before the Chinese New Year, but unfortunately only 10 packs were shipped :-/ Working to get the new stock ASAP, as soon as there's a firm ETA I'll open the lights back up for pre-order.

Reactions: DÆrik
Very good solution!

Just a heads up that we only have 2 packs of the Model X full kits left, then we're out of stock until mid/late February. We were hoping to get our next shipment before the Chinese New Year, but unfortunately only 10 packs were shipped :-/ Working to get the new stock ASAP, as soon as there's a firm ETA I'll open the lights back up for pre-order.

Are you the Pete I conversed with over email a week or so ago?

Got the replacement lights from Abstract Ocean yesterday in the mail, and went out to the car a few hours ago to replace all the lights and get the premium lights installed underneath the front seats.

Replaced all the lights other than the glove box one, and it all worked perfectly. The one on the trunk lift gate was really hard to get out, and I managed to get a small scratch in the plastic, but other than that it was fairly simple. Also decided to not replace the one in the glove box as I found that to be more than adequate.

Started with the two premium lights, and found that it was much easier on the passenger's side to push the seat all the way forward and up and access it from the front. In comparison with the driver's seat this was not covered by fabric at all, so I just cut the plastic strip that held the wire in place, pulled it out through the socket, attached the light and pushed it in. Worked perfectly. Added one of the premium lights underneath the front passenger seat.

For the driver's seat I found it easier to access it from the back, but I spent nearly 30 minutes just cutting the plastic strip and getting the wire out. After getting the wire out I attached the light, but alas, darkness.

Spent a few minutes trying to close and open the doors, but while there was light underneath the other seat there was no light underneath the driver's seat. Got back down underneath the seat and pulled the light out, and then I noticed that in my endeavour to cut the plastic strip I had managed to cut one of the wires at the same time. :(
Figured that I can fix this, just need to strip the wire, add a connecting piece and then reattach the end that has the plug for the light. But then when I stripped the wire I accidentally touched both wires at once, saw a small spark, and then the light underneath the other seat turned off as well.

Got it all hooked back up, but now I have no light under either of the two front seats, so I'm guessing the fuse blew when I short circuited the wires underneath the driver's seat?

Do we have a layout of the fuse box for the Model X yet? Do we know which fuse is used for the light underneath these two seats?

IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG

Spent a few minutes trying to close and open the doors, but while there was light underneath the other seat there was no light underneath the driver's seat. Got back down underneath the seat and pulled the light out, and then I noticed that in my endeavour to cut the plastic strip I had managed to cut one of the wires at the same time. :(
Sorry to hear about your woes, but it might just have been easier to pay for PUP! :confused:

However, it should be easy to spot the burnt fuse...it should have a nice black spot on it.

If you keep up these modifications, you might be able to map-out the entire fuse panel by xmas! ;)

How exactly do I get to the fuse panel? Is there a guide somewhere?
I've heard that there may be 2 fuse boxes. One in the 'frunk' under the cover that separates the frunk from the passenger compartment (this is also where the 12v battery is). And one in the passenger-side wheel well (I assume you need to remove some carpet to get to it).

If I have a chance tonight (or tomorrow), I'll go and see if I can locate them in my X.

Check out this post for pictures (it's an S, but should be similar for X).

Well, I assumed the owners manual had all that info, but I see that it doesn't, I also can't find any other posts that really help with the location, and numbers of the fuses. I suspect the fuse in question is responsible for other stuff too. Sorry there's no info, it seems crazy that Tesla hasn't published the fuse box layout, that's basic car maintenance.

I replaced the puddle lights and the non-lift gate trunk light. Very easy and it looks great. I still cannot for the life of me find the wiring harnesses for the under-seat PUP lights.

Try moving you seats all the way back (away from steering wheel) and down. This will allow for you to peek from the sides of the seats and depending on you hand size you may be able to reach through the opening and feel around better than trying from coming through the underside.

Thanks LuckyX. I tried that, still no luck. Is the wire towards the front of the seat or the rear of the seat? From the videos it seems to be on the "outboard" side of the seat, but I can't find anything that even vaguely feels like the harness in there on either side.

The improvement in the puddle lights and footwell lights is excellent, though I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to switch the lift gate light as a brighter light might just cash harsher shadows. The interior trunk light improvement is great.

For the driver seat it should be right where the opening in the middle. Feel around for the loose wire. Finding the harness itself is more difficult.

Passenger seat is more difficult because on AP1 it's zip-tied near the front. On AP2 it's loose.

If you have AP2 feel around the LED bracket openings.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Picked up my MX today without PUP. Had the Abstract Ocean lights but had not yet read this thread. Got to my under-seat lights and noted I didn't have them. Bummer. Shouldn't have bought those lights.

I then saw this thread and ran out to the garage. Yup! Wire for the driver's seat was just sitting there. Plugged it in and popped the light in. Then the passenger seat, as noted above, had the wire zip-tied right there. Took a little maneuvering of the fabric material under the seat, but cut the zip tie, popped the light in, put the fabric back. 10 minutes of effort, now I've got "premium" under seat lighting. Thanks to everyone in this thread!