Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA Towing Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Model X that gave a warning message of basically "Do Not Continue Driving". The car has about 75k miles on it and I contacted Tesla Roadside Assist, and they advised that since the car was out of warranty, there would be a charge. Turned out that charge was quoted at $300 to tow from my home to the SC, a distance of 15 miles. I also have AAA and they said they would only tow the Tesla if I could display on the screen that the vehicle is in transport mode, which basically is neutral with no e-brake on. I was able to get it in transport mode but then the 12volt battery failed, and I could no longer display the fact that it was indeed in transport mode. Not wanting to wait an hour for AAA only for them to deny the tow, I went with Roadside Assist and paid out of pocket the $300. The driver confirmed it was indeed in transport mode because it was able for him to push the car by hand. Once the car got to the SC, they confirmed that it was the HV battery failure which in California is 8 year, and 150k miles, so this failure is indeed under warranty. Also had to approve a $275 diagnostic fee for the SC to even begin work. Car is still at SC.

Just curious if others have had this same towing issue with AAA. The reasoning offered by the dispatcher is there have been too many liability issues regarding Tesla's and tow operators do not want the risk. They appear to be OK if they can validate transport mode, but do you want to risk an hour wait and then denied?

I have a Tesla Model X that gave a warning message of basically "Do Not Continue Driving". The car has about 75k miles on it and I contacted Tesla Roadside Assist, and they advised that since the car was out of warranty, there would be a charge. Turned out that charge was quoted at $300 to tow from my home to the SC, a distance of 15 miles. I also have AAA and they said they would only tow the Tesla if I could display on the screen that the vehicle is in transport mode, which basically is neutral with no e-brake on. I was able to get it in transport mode but then the 12volt battery failed, and I could no longer display the fact that it was indeed in transport mode. Not wanting to wait an hour for AAA only for them to deny the tow, I went with Roadside Assist and paid out of pocket the $300. The driver confirmed it was indeed in transport mode because it was able for him to push the car by hand. Once the car got to the SC, they confirmed that it was the HV battery failure which in California is 8 year, and 150k miles, so this failure is indeed under warranty. Also had to approve a $275 diagnostic fee for the SC to even begin work. Car is still at SC.

Just curious if others have had this same towing issue with AAA. The reasoning offered by the dispatcher is there have been too many liability issues regarding Tesla's and tow operators do not want the risk. They appear to be OK if they can validate transport mode, but do you want to risk an hour wait and then denied?
Thanks for the heads up and info about verifying that the car is in tow mode if you can push it by hand.

What year is your X and what battery do you have?

I can not believe I omitted that! It is a 2019, September build. I do not recalll the battery letter but I do recall when I looked at it, it was not the latest one for that time period.
This might help if it has not worn off.

The AAA tow driver should have been able to jump the 12 volt battery, so that he could look at the screen and make sure you were in tow mode. Still, I understand your concern there.

Also, please do keep us informed as to what happens. A lot of us with older vehicles are very concerned about this!

AAA varies by state, or at least that is what I was told when I called for a tow. I believe I have posted before that Indiana AAA flat out told me they don't tow EVs when I called needing a tow in 2018 or 2019 (this is the same tow where they told me the coverage varies by state). I cancelled my subscription and never looked back, as the primary reason I had signed up was for towing the EV (the fact that they didn't cover EVs wasn't in any of their agreements when I signed up it 2017, or I wouldn't have).

Reactions: RNHurt