Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A just got my car and asked service to fix a panel gap, after they fixed it my car drives differently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you take them for a ride ?
Yea I had a technician take me for a ride, he told the advisor he didn’t see anything wrong when I was telling him each time there was a bump. She said since he didn’t say anything was wrong that there was nothing they would do. I complained that everyone I’ve shown it to tells me they can feel it and I definitely felt it on the ride. So they had the “service manager” take me for a ride and he also said he didn’t feel anything abnormal.

Now I can’t tell if they’re gas lighting me or if I was wrong and if it always bounced like this. I think I might go test drive a model S to see if a demo car does the same thing.

Reactions: Bouba
I just did a test drive with a model S and although it had some bouncing it was no where near as bad as my car is. It's hard to describe it but I get a sideways bounce as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I take it back to the same service center and make them test it again or should I take it to the next closest service center 1 hour away to see if I can get someone else that might admit there is a problem?

Is there a simple suspension check they can do on the car that says if something is wrong with it instead of relying on tesla to admit something is wrong while driving with me?

I paid for them to rebalance my wheels and they said it was off a tiny bit but not enough to have an impact.

Try another service center. You could also have a good well know tire shop check your car for possible alignment problems. They should test drive the car free.
would an alignment problem cause it to bounce from side to side? When I'm driving I don't feel it curving towards one direction like it's not aligned right, although that could be possible.

The problem with taking it 1 hour away to another service center is that if I have to leave it overnight that would be a long uber? and last time they wouldn't even pay for my uber.

Do you still feel the bounce/vibration when the car is stopped?

I don't notice it all the time. I was in a parking garage today and it was bouncing/vibrating while in park. I remember last time that happened I was in a parking garage as well.

I don't know if that's a normal occurrence, that never happened with my gas car.

When I'm stopped at a light and there is a car that speeds by me the wind bounces my car side to side. Not sure if that's normal.

I feel it bouncing all the time, but it's really noticeable at 5-10mph when I'm going slow it really exaggerates how big the bounces are and there's no reason I should bounce that much going so slow.

Last edited:
I had similar issue in my old car, nobody including my wife believed me that car was making whiny sound that wasn't there before, took it to dealer several times and they couldn't replicate it.

Finally put mobile phones on both sides of rear passenger door compartment and drove the car around. Came home and used Audacity to filter, and amplified the whiny part of the frequency to show to others what I was referring to. It was bearing on one side, it developed a whine after hitting curb.

If you do something similar you might be able to capture the "bump" and how often it's occurring to show it to others.

Also is there any chance that it your ears that got very sensitive to motion?

I had similar issue in my old car, nobody including my wife believed me that car was making whiny sound that wasn't there before, took it to dealer several times and they couldn't replicate it.

Finally put mobile phones on both sides of rear passenger door compartment and drove the car around. Came home and used Audacity to filter, and amplified the whiny part of the frequency to show to others what I was referring to. It was bearing on one side, it developed a whine after hitting curb.

If you do something similar you might be able to capture the "bump" and how often it's occurring to show it to others.

Also is there any chance that it your ears that got very sensitive to motion?
the bump doesn't really make noise, I can feel it on the butt of my seat. I don't think i'm sensitive to motion.