Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D owners, did you even wish to have 100D range? (295 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I am still struggling of changing my order, and today is the last day I can pay $500 and do that.

Now, I am asking only to the 90D (or even 75D) CURRENT owners, in your long trip experience, did you ever wish to have the extra ranges (say the 38 miles)? Would that make your trip more comfortable and more peace in mind, if you need to pay extra $20 per 295 miles?

Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder

Understand the feeling... Having a 90D now not sure that I wanted to pay the extra money for a 100D...
To celebrate Christmas last month, we visited our family in France (traveling from Belgium - 600 miles). Now I needed to visit 3 SuC's for in total 100 minutes of charging, with the 100D maybe it would have been 2 SuC's but charging time would have been approximately the same since at the end I need to travel the same distance... And in Belgium I can help myself with the 3 available SuC's to travel the entire country... So no 100D for me, I'll wait for the 120, or 150... ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: Softwizard
Yes, I am still struggling of changing my order, and today is the last day I can pay $500 and do that.

Now, I am asking only to the 90D (or even 75D) CURRENT owners, in your long trip experience, did you ever wish to have the extra ranges (say the 38 miles)? Would that make your trip more comfortable and more peace in mind, if you need to pay extra $20 per 295 miles?

Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder
Yes, would use the extra range on some days with commute and then extra errands.

Many like myself specifically waited for the 100D to be released before ordering, so definitely yes. $3000 and $3500 with the change fee is a no brainer.

I'm mostly hoping they unlock some slight speed increase as well, because the 100D should be faster than the 90D. The real question is if they software limited it for some reason.

I would think you'd get most if not all of that back on resale as well.

If the 100d was available when I ordered I would have ordered it no questions asked. Range is king.
There have been a few close class for me arriving with less than 10 miles down to even 1 or 2 miles left a couple times where having 38 more would have been great. Driving from my home to ski cabin uses about 90% of the 90D but if it is cold and windy I need to divert 20min+ out of the way to charge for 20min. With a 100D, no problem in any weather.

I think there are VERY few people who would regret upgrading to a 100D, supercharging costs are negligible.

Everyone has his own point.
In my case, I live south to Fremont, CA. I am now looking at those recreational points that are 120 miles away from me. The McWay fall is a major point I refer to now.

and when I look into the SC discussion threads around me, I found many have unpleasant experience and long waiting time.

On the other hand, my family just cannot understand and ask me to stop spending more. We were so used to use our TIME to save MONEY. So even I said the first 1300 miles on long trips will be free, they only see the $3000 (actually $3500) and the SC savings.

I dont take the Tesla on long drives so I mostly drive local and the 90D is plenty of daily range for me. For the small price that the 100D is priced at for a new purchase I think its a no brainer to get the 100D for better resale later but for me I dont need the extra range.

Reactions: Sather
Don't you think that have the Free unlimited SC will help the resale price even more?

Only to an enthusiast. Otherwise, I don't.

- Most won't actually use a SC.
- Once mass market, buyers will be retrained they will need to pay at a certain point - or realize they don't pay much, and might not care.
- Unless you're an avid Tesla follower, you probably are not familiar with the recent changes (I've encountered many that didn't know AP wasn't standard, let alone AP1 vs 2.)
- Car buyers are trained to buy model #s currently. A Q7 is bigger than a Q5. A 3.0T is better than a 2.0T. A 100D is better than a 90D.

If you visit any car reselling sites, they most likely list a Tesla for sale. Make, Model, Miles. Most will have battery size. Good luck finding out if the car has autopilot enabled vs hardware vs a trial that has ended. It's even more difficult if you want to find out if their subzero package was one that included a heated steering wheel or not. To them, we have a Tesla for sale. The badge says 90D. It's the sedan model.

Great examples are Porsche. Some are specifically valuable. Most depreciate to the same range, regardless of options. A 911 is a 911, regardless of whether it has the special hand stitched leather that came with a custom sunglasses case. But a 911 Turbo vs a 911 Carerra S? Yea that makes a difference.

In the Utah to northwest travels I have had a couple of times where the range would have really helped! Snowy days driving below the speed limit in range mode to make it to the next supercharger. I even drafted once-but they are already trying to build more superchargers in some of these areas! So glad for Lima, MT!

I live outside Chicago and recently drove to Florida & back in my Model X 90D. On the route down to FL, I charged in Lafayette, IN and wanted to get to Louisville, KN, 183 miles away. Similarly I later charged in Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville) and the next supercharger is in Birmingham, AL, only 177 miles away. Both of those seemed well within reach. I left Lafayette with too much confidence and was driving about 80mph when the X warned me I might have trouble getting to Louisville so we diverted to the supercharger in Indianapolis. I might have made it fine, especially if I slowed down, but range anxiety kicked in and I didn't want to risk it.

Unfortunately there is no intermediate supercharger between Franklin, TN and Birmingham, but there are lots of rolling hills. Again I wanted to drive 7-9 mph over the speed limit but it was also cold and the winds were strong and there was a bit of rain as well. As my 90D crested one hill in particular, the 90D told me I was in now serious trouble (not just a little trouble). With no option for an intermediate charge, I dropped my speed significantly and drafted behind a truck for about half the trip.

With a 100D, I think I would have had the confidence to make the Lafayette-Loiusville trip with no problem while driving "normal" speeds, and it would have also made big a difference in driving the hills of TN as well. I would gladly pay $10k now to drop the battery I have if I could upgrade my battery to eliminate that range anxiety and let me drive just over the speed limit rather than well below the speed limit.

Don't think that range anxiety only kicks in for trips of 200+ miles. It kicks in even at 177 miles, at least if you want to drive the speed limit or just a little bit more. If you ever plan to take any road trips, pay for the largest battery you can. If you're only going to drive near home, then get the smallest battery. That's my 2-cents with 2 real-world examples.

P90D here in IL and would love a 100. I would have absolutely got the 100 if it were available. Hopefully a 120 or more is available in 5-8 years that I would be happy to upgrade to.

As well I want to have the freedom to go off the 'supercharger railroad' some as well as drive around when I hit the destination spots.

Cold weather has a huge impact on distance. Count on 2/3s or less.

Reactions: lucy
Wow.....@carteriii, I was just literally thinking of posting a question if the 90D can handle 180 miles in between SC's under the toughest conditions.
One trip I will need to make often is between Knoxville and Nashville (180 miles) and your feedback above is really helpful, almost the determining factor for me to make the jump from 90D on order to 100D
I'm assuming the 100D will be able to handle 180 miles even under the toughest conditions of weather with 22" wheels too

As a previous S85 owner and a current X90D owner, I agree that I would have paid for the extra if it were available when I purchase (1.5 months ago). But the reality is that I don't think it would have made much of a difference for us 99.99% of the time. We haven't done a lot of long trips with the Teslas. Even if we had, the space means we'd probably make the same stops even with the little bit of extra range since the SCs are basically spaced with 85 KwH cars in mind. There was one day last week where it might have given us a little bit extra comfort and my wife and I both independently had to round-trip from SF to the Valley in the same day. But even then, I could have made it home with plenty of range. I chose to stop at Dublin just to get a bit of juice so I wasn't charging the car all night, but I would have been home with about 20 miles of range left.

• Love
Reactions: tmadvegas

Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder
Some times that extra range really helps.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak