Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 degree left turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Something strange happened with Autopilot today (1 year old).
I was using AP in an inside road (city), on a light behind a uglier than yeti's butt porsche panamera.
Light turns green, and my car, totally negotiated a full left turn across 3 lanes into a divided two lane road, all on it's own.

I drew a little diagram to illustrate my point -

upload_2016-9-15_13-22-9.png

Yeah I had my hands on the wheel, but wow! Never experienced that before.

I haven't received a s/w update lately btw. And I've driven on this road numerous times, this is the first time AP has done this.

Yep! But I've followed other cars before same intersection, and AP is not able to follow the car in front .. until today!
Yep I've had the same thing happened before in large intersections on 6 and 8 lane divided hieays... only difference was I took over and steered straight and never let it make the left hand turn following another car.

Now the important question. Did following that less-than-elegant back-end take you anywhere interesting? :cool:

My AP has done this from Day 1.

It doesn't always make the turn, but sometimes it does. So this is not new. If there's a vehicle to follow, the stars align, and the turn isn't too steep or at too high of a speed, AP will follow the vehicle into a 90 degree LEFT turn. I've never had AP follow a vehicle into a sharp right though.

It does do this from time to time (same with cloverleaf highway onramps), but do not rely on it!

I've also seen my Autopilot suddenly go from following the lead car (around turns and curves) to wanting to shoot off on a tangent into oblivion.

When can you rely on AP? I almost never "rely" on it except on a straight freeway, on a clearly marked road, in great weather.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29 and Lex
When can you rely on AP? I almost never "rely" on it except on a straight freeway, on a clearly marked road, in great weather.
I agree. I love it for slow moving traffic and on long stretches of straight freeway (assuming clean, well demarcated lines). The latter rarely happens in the DC area. The former, on the other hand . . . .

regarding the panamera, I actually have always really liked the style and definitely considered it as an alternative to my ms. Then again, I am an ass man :D

in intersection type situations the car will follow the car in front, it will do whatever the car in front of it does. The exception is if the car in front turns too sharply the Tesla knows not to follow. So on a small 2 lane road, it's unlikely to follow the car in the turn because it's too tight, but on a larger road, like a divided 4 or 6 lane road, the turn is more gradual, so the Tesla will follow.

There's not much way for Tesla to avoid this behaviour while still allowing the car to follow around normal bends in the road, at some point you have to decide how sharp "too sharp" a turn is and set a cut-off. The tesla one is a relatively good compromise. Especially being that this use case is well outside the stated use cases for Autosteer which you agreed to when first activating it, and which are documented extensively in the manual.

Reactions: David29
I guess I'm still having fun pretending the car is learning as I still do this now and then (well as often as I can without drawing attention) for curiosity's sake.

I've succeeded with turns and some on-ramps. Since it's mostly the "follow that car" thing that seems to allow this to work -- part of what makes AP so good but also what makes AP "follow that car" momentarily into a lane change -- I recently tried to set follow to 1 to "glue" to the car ahead, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, and may even contribute to AP bailing sooner.

Something strange happened with Autopilot today (1 year old).
I was using AP in an inside road (city), on a light behind a uglier than yeti's butt porsche panamera.
Light turns green, and my car, totally negotiated a full left turn across 3 lanes into a divided two lane road, all on it's own.

I drew a little diagram to illustrate my point -

View attachment 194573

Yeah I had my hands on the wheel, but wow! Never experienced that before.

I haven't received a s/w update lately btw. And I've driven on this road numerous times, this is the first time AP has done this.
Clearly, your car likes BIG BUTTS and can't stay away!

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf