Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 month old battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 8k miles on my 8 months old Model Y LR.
Teslamate is reporting 3.2% battery degraded.

Is this accurate? technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

is this even normal?

1700913824087.png

I

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Please, oh please, do a search!

There is nothing you can or should do, that's normal or could be even a bit LESS capacity loss than normal. Tesla will laugh at you if you ask about it.

Tesla is obligated to do something about it when that loss reaches 30%! Until then, the only time you should contact them about range loss is when the car tells you there's something wrong with the battery or you notice a rapid(like 10% in a week) range loss.

Last edited:
Summary: Expect ~5% the first year of a brand new Tesla with the 2nd year being roughly half of that and then it seems to halve down to ~0.5-1.% or so for the remaining years of it's life expectancy. This is common. There are plenty of examples of more aggressive degradation curves (within "spec" according to Tesla) with far fewer examples being less. This is typical and expected for the technology.

Everyone is nervous with range anxiety with a first electric vehicle. Shyboy, you have nothing to worry about. I have a list of Tesla Superchargers compiled from PlugShare with over 60 between NJ and Florida. Drive your Y until your SOC reaches 20%.
Both you and your Y will drive away happy.:)

Reactions: BWJ.
technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

No, you cant. There is nothing to fix. There is no need to discuss anything about battery degradation with Tesla unless or until it reaches 30%, which is the warranty threshold. Im going to repeat that. 30% is the warranty battery degradation threshold, and no amount of degradation less than that is anything that Tesla will discuss with anyone, at all.

So, 4%, 12%, 28%, none of that is something that anyone can "take to tesla to get fixed" so there is no reason to even consider discussing it with them before that.

Whether its normal or not, doesnt matter other than "for entertainment purposes only" (personal information knowledge).

I have 8k miles on my 8 months old Model Y LR.
Teslamate is reporting 3.2% battery degraded.

Is this accurate? technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

The original capacity of your battery is 82.1 kWh i think, so the degradation is a little higher if you calculate from that number.

Otherwise, just as you’re already told:
Its normal.

You can reduce the degradation by using lower SOC in general. Just search for calendar aging (and maybe my nickname) and read.

Otherwise, just relax and be happy.
The degradation rate will reduce! :)