Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

5 seater but adding the 3rd row seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a horrible idea. As others have mentioned, the car will no longer be street legal. Vehicles are certified based on the number of seats and seat belts at time of manufacture. Plus if your insurance company catches wind of this, you'll likely default on your contract, God forbid there are any accidents, at fault or not. Even people who place seat belt extenders are playing with fire, let alone adding seats to a vehicle. PLEASE do not do this.

Read this thread and realise it isn't a viable option for all sorts of reasons. Seriously, the only way is to sell your 5-seater and buy a 7-seater.

I think it’s viable in only one situation and in 10 easy steps.

Step 1: Pull up the parts catalog and identify all the different parts. (Is, HVAC, seats, wiring harness, etc.

Step 2: Find all the parts via eBay and purchase them. It’s roughly $800 for the seats, $500 for the C panels with 3rd row vents.

Step 3: Find a Tesla authorized body shop.

Step 4: Convince said body shop to purchase all the parts that can’t be sourced via eBay. Seatbelts, wiring harness, etc.

Step 5: Install all hardware parts.

Step 6: Find an active Tesla tech, or independent Tesla tech with Toolbox access.

Step 7: Convince Tesla tech or independent tech to log in and reconfigure the car to be a 7 seater so software recognizes the new hardware.

Step 8: Crash test it.

Step 9: Purchase another 5 seater MX and repeat steps 1-8 until you’re comfortable and convinced it is safe.

Step 10: Once satisfied, purchase another 5 seater and perform steps 1-7 for your final 7 seater conversion.

Piece of cake.

Read this thread and realise it isn't a viable option for all sorts of reasons. Seriously, the only way is to sell your 5-seater and buy a 7-seater.

Yes, the only viable way would be to sell/trade it in for a 7 seater.

Surprisingly, I asked a Tesla technician (lead diagnosis tech) at the Sodo service center last week and he said that he didn't see why it wasn't doable since the chassis is the same. That's what gave me a little more hope since I specifically asked about the newer flat folding seats. He said that he would inquire and get back to me but that never happened.
Regardless, thanks for the feedback guys

Yes, the only viable way would be to sell/trade it in for a 7 seater.

Surprisingly, I asked a Tesla technician (lead diagnosis tech) at the Sodo service center last week and he said that he didn't see why it wasn't doable since the chassis is the same. That's what gave me a little more hope since I specifically asked about the newer flat folding seats. He said that he would inquire and get back to me but that never happened.
Regardless, thanks for the feedback guys

I guess the tech didn't really think it through enough!

I think it’s viable in only one situation and in 10 easy steps.

Step 1: Pull up the parts catalog and identify all the different parts. (Is, HVAC, seats, wiring harness, etc.

Step 2: Find all the parts via eBay and purchase them. It’s roughly $800 for the seats, $500 for the C panels with 3rd row vents.

Step 3: Find a Tesla authorized body shop.

Step 4: Convince said body shop to purchase all the parts that can’t be sourced via eBay. Seatbelts, wiring harness, etc.

Step 5: Install all hardware parts.

Step 6: Find an active Tesla tech, or independent Tesla tech with Toolbox access.

Step 7: Convince Tesla tech or independent tech to log in and reconfigure the car to be a 7 seater so software recognizes the new hardware.

Step 8: Crash test it.

Step 9: Purchase another 5 seater MX and repeat steps 1-8 until you’re comfortable and convinced it is safe.

Step 10: Once satisfied, purchase another 5 seater and perform steps 1-7 for your final 7 seater conversion.

Piece of cake.

How much popcorn would I need to budget while waiting to see all this unfold?

Last edited:
Reactions: XtheGas
We purchased our 5 seater brand new and wished we went with a 7 seater. I purchased a 3rd-row seat from eBay and plan on installing it myself!
I have a good relationship with the local SC hoping i dont have to program anything.

I don't think it is possible to after-market add the third row. The first thing is the second row also needs to be changed out, so you can get into the third row. As you know, the second row in a 5 passenger does not move, and is positioned further back than in the 7 passenger. Plus there is no hardware in the 5 passenger to use to attach anything, including seat belts. Others have pointed out, there is no A/C or heat in the far back.