Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.2.1 rolling out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. No Stop light recognition or stop sign still for HW2.0 vehicles. Again no benefit for HW3 vehicles so I could care less at this point. View attachment 486946 View attachment 486947

I actually got stop sign warning...finally after my release notes popped up today... Not sure how to "try" it tho:)
40.2.1Stop.jpg

Stop sign recognition is a good start I hope towards auto navigating them, but what I would like to see is the ability to handle roundabouts better. I am seeing in N. Illinois a lot more intersections with stop signs being replaced with roundabouts. I have not tried to navigate one on AP since we have the ability to slow the speed down much more, but I don't think it has the specific logic built-in just yet. I know Europe has almost no stop signs and a lot more roundabouts. Is anyone's experience different?

Roundabouts are basically a total no-go. I've tried multiple different ones - closest I got to reasonable performance was a medium sized, single lane roundabout with a straight on and right turn (UK, so 3/4 way round) in stop/start traffic with the vast majority, including myself, going straight ahead. It happily followed the cars in front around the roundabout but then screamed at me to take over while trying to exit the roundabout as it couldn't figure out what the lane markings were doing.

I tried NoA (follow distance 2, average lane change frequency, 10 mph over posted speed limit) on my 21 mile drive to work this morning. It's definitely changing lanes better. I did get one hesitation. It will also try to change into a lane that is going much faster (10mph or more) and just sit there with the signal on waiting for a gap. It's still not aggressive enough for those kinds of merges.

I'd say NoA lane changing went from "barely tolerable" to "acceptable" and manual lane changes went from "barely tolerable" to "pretty good"

It's a genuine improvement though. I don't see any regressions so far. I haven't tried the wipers yet.

This adjacent lane speed slowing change sounds horrible. I am driving in carpool lane so of course adjacent lane would be significantly slower! I hope it would recognized that I am in the carpool and not slowing me down....

I'm sure it will recognize that you are in the carpool lane. I would assume it will slow down in the merging points though. On another note, you cant have a vehicle going 100 mph and have someone pullout infront of you and be able to safely avoid an accident. Just not possible for autopilot to avoid or any human.

Also for the first time today on a local highway , my Car actually slowed down when I was approaching a Red Traffic light

I wonder if it was slowing down because it saw crossing traffic as obstacles. I am pretty sure that it would not be slowing down due to the red light.

I have been diligently trying to test the red light and stop sign warnings while on autosteer near work, but so far no luck and I chicken out before I actually run the light!

One of my theories is that the software update allows Tesla to better track the stoplights and stop signs, so even if the software does not trigger a warning, all of those data points where it *might* have been close to triggering a threshold are being sent in to better improve the next phase where it can actually better react.

I have been diligently trying to test the red light and stop sign warnings while on autosteer near work, but so far no luck and I chicken out before I actually run the light!
I tested this and was able to get it to trigger by being in AP going the then minimum of 18 mph. Now that you can go down to 0 mp perhaps going 10 mph or even 5 mph would trigger it easier. I'm going to try that on a stop sign.

You have to be in the US, and it only warns you if you are about to blow through on. It does not currently support stopping on its own at them.

And you have to be using autosteer I believe. If you are just driving manually, I don’t think it will warn you. It seems it is a bit of a liability prevention if you aren’t paying attention, although there could be just as my benefit if you were not on autosteer. And I wonder if it would also warn you while on TACC.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I'm definitely impressed with the improved auto lane changes in 40.2.1. Driving on AP, I was able to "cut in" in some busy traffic using the stalk to initiate an auto lane change and it worked beautifully. In the past, the auto lane change would have taken too long. I do feel like this more assertive auto lane change is a key prerequisite for city driving since being able to make those quick lane changes in busy traffic is very important in city driving. AP finally has auto lane changes that I feel have a chance at working in city driving.

NOA auto lane changes are great but still suffer a bit from that delay if you get the steering wheel nag. If you have one hand on the wheel, exerting the right amount of torque, the car won't nag you and the auto lane changes in NOA are assertive and confident but if you don't satisfy the torque requirement, it will of course nag you before executing the auto lane change. In my experience, the auto lane changes in NOA are very reliable now. Hopefully, we are closer to true "no confirmation" auto lane changes in NOA soon because I really wish we did not have the nag before every auto lane change.

Definitely does work with HW3 using AP with the caveat that you have to be almost to already in the intersection for it to appear. Slow it down to 10mph on AP and look for a clear intersection (esp police) and you will get an alert but that’s it...On the binnacle only
It also seems to work with those of us patiently waiting for HW3; today I was on a local highway, was about to run a red light but didn't . The alert is was right in the middle, appeared like a little traffic sign with the red on. It beeped audibly enough for you to slam on brakes.. Quite kool...I was grinning from cheek to cheek like a kiddo in a candy store...