Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party TPMS sensor - ITM - any experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to change the TPMS sensors from my winter tires I used on my 2013 Model S for the newer 2016 Model S. According to my local Tesla shop, the sensors are now $85 CAD (approx $68 USD depending on exchange). I thought they were closer to $50 before.

I found this set of TPMS sensors on Amazon:
Set of 4 ITM TPMS 433mhz Tire Pressure Sensors 10/2014 - 2017 Tesla Model S 60 60D 70 70D 75 75D P90D 90D 100D P100D 85 85D P85 P85D Sedan
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768S4SXR/ref=pe_825000_114212990_pe_825000_114212990_n_id
$160 for a set of 4.

I read the application guide and these are universal programmable TPMS sensors which apparently can be programmed to match almost any manufacturer's TPMS system, and they definitely have the newer (as well as older) Model S listed, see:
http://itmautoparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ITM_V3.72-Coverage.pdf

More info on the Uni-Sensor:
How does Uni-sensor work? | ITM AUTOPARTS

Anybody have experience with them? It seems the Tesla prices have gone up and while not a deal breaker, I wonder if this option might be worth it for tires I use for 3-4 months a year (they will live permanently on the rims).

I looked at that thread but didn't see anything about these sensors. I think that thread is referring to upgrading the older system in the car to the current 2nd gen system.

To be clear, I now have a new 2016 Model S which uses the 2nd generation TPMS system. My winter tires are mounted on rims which have the older sensor which was compatible with my original 2013 Model S, but not with the current system. I don't need to change my TPMS system in the car, just the sensors in the wheels.

I installed the ITM TPMS in my winter wheels last weekend. I purchased them on eBay from a vendor named megaautoparts for $140. They came preprogrammed to the Tesla by the vendor so all you have to do is take them to your tire place to have them installed in the wheels. They got picked up by the car within 3-4 miles of driving and registered the tire pressures on the display correctly. Can't speak to long term reliability since I've only been using them for 4 days now...

@SteveW25561 yes, I have a set of these ITM brand TPMS sensors in my summer wheels for my late-2015 70D - I bought them about a year ago at 1010tires.com in Vancouver, C$60each. They've worked fine for the past year. At the time of purchase/installation, 1010 was able to clone them to my OEM set of TPMS so no need to reset the system after swapping out with my winter tires (now mounted on OEM set of wheels with original Tesla TPMS).

yes, the Tesla OEM sensors used to be C$71 a year ago, but they've about doubled in price since then for some reason.

a bit more info in this thread: TPMS for 2017

I just installed these today. So far so good. I got the reset/select rim size message on my screen after about 2-3 miles of driving. I changed out my rims and had two sets of tpms sensors, the guy who installed mine told me to make sure I didn't have the old tpms sensors in the car while resetting them.(Seems obvious)

I paid 110 bucks for a set of 4. Changing rims, balancing and installing the new tpms sensors cost me 35 bucks per tire.

4 X New ITM Tire Pressure Sensor 433MHz TPMS For TESLA MODEL S 1014-1217 | eBay