Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3% Price increase across the board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my Model 3 in December I purchased EAP and it already included NoA, Autopark, and Summon. I did not purchase FSD, but if I had I’m not aware that I would have received any additional features to this point for doing so.

If I had purchased FSD based on a statement that it would cost more if I did not purchase it up front, I would expect Tesla to keep their word on this by either not lowering the price to future customers or offering me a discount if they do.

There are so many arguments on this forum about price drops that people are confusing the issue of the price of a car dropping after they purchased it (which happens all the time) with an agreement Tesla made with its customers to offer them FSD down the road when it becomes available for the best price by paying up front. That is unacceptable and I believe a breach of their agreement with the customer. Shame on Tesla for doing this and not making things whole for those who trusted them. Trust takes a long time to earn but only a moment to lose forever.

an agreement Tesla made with its customers to offer them FSD down the road when it becomes available for the best price by paying up front.

Again, where does it say "best price"?

What it says is (and thank you to Knightshade for the screenshot) "$5,000 upgrade if added after delivery".

If they've since decided that's $2,000 after delivery, or free after delivery, or $999,999,999 after delivery - I'm not entirely sure how that can be construed as a contractual agreement.

And to be fair, the relevent part of the disclaimer is cutoff in the screenshot - `This functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval. It is not possible to know exactly when it will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction.`

Honestly, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here.... because I actually do agree that FSD is a bunch of nonsense. It doesn't exist today, isn't going to exist tomorrow, and isn't likely to exist in the next couple of years, if ever.

There's no way I would've paid up front for such a thing. That's one of those gambles where - at least in my calculus - if I sit it out and it becomes a real thing down the road, and I just HAD to have it, it would cost me an extra $1k or $2k. So be it.

All that said - I do feel if you feel hornswaggled - and I do think there should be the ability to pull your chips back off the table. "No thanks, don't want FSD, you didn't deliver it anyway, so give me my money back."

But as much as I'd like to believe they would offer such a refund, I also don't think it'd be possible to win your money back in a court of law.

Reactions: jgs
The legal argument is that they induced you to buy it at delivery by stating the price would be $5K after delivery. Had they not made this statement you would not likely have purchased it up front. The statement turned out to be false, therefore they induced you to give them money by making a false statement.

All of the other stuff about requiring regulatory approval is fine. Those are true statements and nothing has changed about any of that. I have no issue with the fact that they haven’t delivered it yet because you knew when you were prepaying for it that it wasn’t ready.

Reactions: MattUNI
The legal argument is that they induced you to buy it at delivery by stating the price would be $5K after delivery. Had they not made this statement you would not likely have purchased it up front. The statement turned out to be false, therefore they induced you to give them money by making a false statement.

All of the other stuff about requiring regulatory approval is fine. Those are true statements and nothing has changed about any of that. I have no issue with the fact that they haven’t delivered it yet because you knew when you were prepaying for it that it wasn’t ready.

Except that it was true, at least for some period of time.

If you bought the car, had it delivered, and decided to then pre-pay for the nebulous FSD, it would've been $5k. I'm still not sure what the $5k would be for, but that's what it would've cost. I think it's more of a zero-interest loan, than anything else.

but it's hard to say a company can't adjust their pricing.... even if it's for something that's so undefined.

Reactions: APotatoGod
So where in that screenshot does it say "Navigate on Autopilot", "Autopark", or "Summon"?

I'll wait.

Why are you waiting? Is your google broken?

Those features have been advertised as part of EAP since it was launched, the previous pic just didn't scroll down far enough.

here's an even older one that includes mention of autopark, summon, and what would eventually be named Navigate on Autopilot (handling on/off ramps and interchanges and changing lanes on its own)

Ready to admit you've no idea what you're talking bout? I'll wait :)

Attachments

• eap.jpg
    eap.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 67
but it's hard to say a company can't adjust their pricing.... even if it's for something that's so undefined.

They can absolutely lower their price for a pre-ordered item they haven't delivered.

They'll just need to refund the difference to everyone who paid more, but still has not received the product.

You know- like literally every other company on earth does with every other product on earth

To be honest with you... I don't think Elon says ANYTHING without the board knowing anymore.
As prima facie evidence that you are wrong;

Elon Musk Tweet
"Tesla made 0 cars in 2011, but will make around 500k in 2019"
11:15 am 20-Feb-2019

Elon Musk Tweet after being lawyered
"Meant to say annualized production rate at end of 2019 probably around 500k, ie 10k cars/week. Deliveries for year still estimated to be about 400k."
3:41 pm 20-Feb-2019

Why are you waiting? Is your google broken?

Those features have been advertised as part of EAP since it was launched, the previous pic just didn't scroll down far enough.

here's an even older one that includes mention of autopark, summon, and what would eventually be named Navigate on Autopilot (handling on/off ramps and interchanges and changing lanes on its own)

Ready to admit you've no idea what you're talking bout? I'll wait :)

That’s an older screen that, frankly, I hadn’t seen before. The one you shared was quite different.

I’ll eat crow - if they rolled these into EAP previously, that’s disingenuous to call it FSD now. Sorry for calling it out before - the last screenshot didn’t mention any of these - this one sure does.

I still think the “real” FSD is snake oil. Even 5 9’s of reliability isn’t nearly good enough. And we’re at - maybe - two nines today. Will be many years - if not decades - before FSD is realized.

My $0.02 (not that you asked for it): FSD isn’t possible with current infrastructure. Separate infrastructure for FSD - something like Solar Roadways is needed, with sensors and automation. No human control. Humans are unpredictable.

Reactions: jgs
You can easily replicate the Tesla purchasing experience at any regular car dealership. Walk in, yell "I WANT TO BUY A CAR AND I'LL PAY MSRP!". You'll be guaranteed to be treated like a king.
Agree totally. Pay MSRP at a car dealership and you'll be treated like a king.

That is NOT the Tesla experience. You pay Tesla MSRP and you're still treated like crap.
It really takes some doing to manage to create an experience that is WORSE than the car dealership experience, but congratulations Tesla, you've managed it.

This is not any different than any other auto manufacturers dealer network having monthly discounts and quarterly discounts or model year end discounts or holiday pricing or WTFE. It's just that Tesla does not have a dealer network so does not have the complex financial gives and takes that hides the actual minimum price they will sell you any specific car for. Tesla tells you up front, gives you some time to make your decisions and people just whine. Maybe it would be better for Tesla to have a dealer network so they can hide all this from the consumer. So we can get back to "how much per month can you afford" rather than "this is the price".

No thanks.

Reactions: APotatoGod and jgs
As prima facie evidence that you are wrong;

Elon Musk Tweet
"Tesla made 0 cars in 2011, but will make around 500k in 2019"
11:15 am 20-Feb-2019

Elon Musk Tweet after being lawyered
"Meant to say annualized production rate at end of 2019 probably around 500k, ie 10k cars/week. Deliveries for year still estimated to be about 400k."
3:41 pm 20-Feb-2019

I'll tell ya.

This place can be hilarious sometimes.

Even worse is the common dealership practice of advertising a very discounted price on line or in a newspaper.
That price will be in a bright starburst, in bright color, with arrows pointing to it.

When you get to the dealership you will be given the bad news that it was just sold...but they have others, at higher prices ready for you to drive home today...lets make a deal :(

So based on this article Tesla is bringing Autopilot prices ‘back to normal’, Elon Musk admits mistake
Tesla is bringing prices back to normal for AP and FSD...what does this mean? As far as I am concerned they can't because they changed the things AP and FSD include... before for 5k you would get EAP and for 3K FSD... then they got rid of FSD and only offered EAP for 5k. Now they offer only AP and FSD...AP does not have what EAP had...FSD is pretty much EAP with new things arriving... currently AP is showing as $3k and FSD $5k so how do they "go back to normal prices" if they raise the price of the new AP its not good practice cause AP doesn't have features that EAP had for $5k..so I think a fair price for just AP is 2-3k so it can't be raised.... I am so confused and I am just months away from placing an order... grrr

So based on this article Tesla is bringing Autopilot prices ‘back to normal’, Elon Musk admits mistake
Tesla is bringing prices back to normal for AP and FSD...what does this mean? As far as I am concerned they can't because they changed the things AP and FSD include... before for 5k you would get EAP and for 3K FSD... then they got rid of FSD and only offered EAP for 5k. Now they offer only AP and FSD...AP does not have what EAP had...FSD is pretty much EAP with new things arriving... currently AP is showing as $3k and FSD $5k so how do they "go back to normal prices" if they raise the price of the new AP its not good practice cause AP doesn't have features that EAP had for $5k..so I think a fair price for just AP is 2-3k so it can't be raised.... I am so confused and I am just months away from placing an order... grrr

Same here. From the sound of it the price of the car could go up by as much as $3500 ($1500 3% adjustment for dual motor red w/white interior + $2K autopilot price increase?). Very confusing and frustrating. What is muddling things here are all the obnoxious economically illiterate legacy owners who whine and complain about price drops and I can't tell if Elon was talking about their price to upgrade or the price of new owners for EAP/AP.