Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25,000 mile service worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the opposite: skipped the first one and did the 40,000 km (aka: 25K miles) service. For me, the brake service, fluid flush and allignment were worth it for the peace of mind after the distance driven, not to mention checking the battery and its' coolant. I am not sure if the in-between years will be worth it for me and I know a few people who haven't bothered with any servicing due to the high costs.

I will let you know next week. I just handed in my 2017 S75D for service (25K KM) last Friday. They mentioned they advise a 20K KM service appointment. I have the back trunk lever making noise, wipers making noise, left front windows making noise and I asked them to uncork it.
Getting my car back on Monday. Wondering what they did. Keep you posted.

Reactions: Bebop
Is the 25K mile service worth it?

If you don't do it, then could you miss the remainder of your warranty/extended warranty? (Since the warranty is contingent upon performing recommended service).

Even though Tesla cars are relatively simple compared to an ICE, they still require annual (12.5K mile maintenance). During that service, Tesla verifies the car is operating as expected, addresses a number of small items - and also installs any outstanding updates to the car.

Is the 25K mile service worth it?

If you don't do it, then could you miss the remainder of your warranty/extended warranty? (Since the warranty is contingent upon performing recommended service).

Whether or not you get the annual maintenance had no effect on your new car warranty. That said, if your new car warranty has expired and you are currently covered by an extended service plan then it becomes less clear (they say your ESP coverage “may be affected” if you choose not to get the annual service during the ESP coverage period).

This is from Tesla’s Warranty FAQ on their website:
5A6128CE-BC40-4539-A636-7CFE2535EC2A.jpeg

Tesla has stated that not doing the annual service will not void your warranty (indeed legally they cannot do that). The extended warranty may be different though.

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

The annual service is a ridiculous rip-off.

EDIT: Doh, Scott beat me to it.

Last edited:
Don't forget the new service plan has a drive unit fluid replacement at the first service (12,500 miles). That alone is reason to do the first service as any gear or debris in the drive unit from initial usage is most likely to pop up in the first year of use and getting that fluid changed (only time it is ever done in the service schedule) is a good idea in my opinion. The drive unit fluid change did NOT used to be part of the first year service. They added it in 2016 or 2017....

Model S: 65,000 mi. Never serviced.
Model 3: 2000 mi. Never serviced, no plan to do so.
Previous S: 82,000 mi. Never serviced, but new owner did it for his peace of mind.
My game plan is don't treat something unless there's trouble. I don't pay to see the doctor just to chat with him. Until I was "old", I didn't have a doctor, per se.
Why would anyone want service? The only problem with most cars is that they have a gasoline engine and transmission with near 1000 parts that bump and grind and wear out. You can't change the oil any more. The brakes are left mostly unused. In California, we don't use wipers.
I've heard that when the Leaf came out several dealers invented a service plan for them that included checking the battery fluid and the gear case. Gas Engine die-hards lined up. Must Service This!

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Of course the drive unit fluid change IS an oil change (think of it as a transmission or differential fluid change) and the drive unit is moving at far higher RPM on the input side...

and the 4 year Battery coolant change is analogous to a radiator flush and fill. Lots of places don't do a radiator flush and fill correctly, but the reality is that coolants DO degrade over time and replacing them is appropriate.

I agree that an electric motor/battery car needs far less service than an ICE car, but there is still service required. You did well because you are relatively low time and mileage in your car. The oldest Model S cars are just hitting 6-7 years old!

I like to tell people about the reliability of electric motors and share that the electric motors moving the elevators in the Empire State Building are the ORIGINAL motors. But those motors have had service over the years.

I have no problem with a person choosing to do no maintenance on their car, but to say that these cars need no maintenance is simply not true. The problem is that no one has enough fleet-wide usage data to come up with accurate information on exactly when the maintenance is required and how much maintenance is required. If I had to guess, I would say that Tesla is erring on the conservative side and the maintenance intervals can be longer. The question is how much longer.

I have no doubt that you could buy a Tesla and do no service to it for 100,000 miles and have the car work fine. But the question is will the car make 200,000? 300,000? 500,000? My guess is yes, but that service is required....

I just called and tried doing that and they wont allow it at my service center. The drive unit fluid change is part of the 1st year maintenance plan. So to get that changed you have to do the whole shebang.

That’s completely untrue, I had my SC two weeks ago only do the drive unit fluid change at 15k miles, you just pay for it, I think it was like 220?

so I got my car back from Service last Monday. Wipers replaced, lift for my trunk replaced, windows sound fixed. Cleaned, charged and vacuumed.
Also they stated that the uncork had been done. I checked, after leaving, the remote S app and it was not done. I phoned back and went back, they did it, but still nothing. The mechanic then came over to me and said: we turn it on but somehow it switches back in your car. Let it stay here and I will look into it.
Three hours later, it was done.
Very happy!