Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 Plaid brake upgrade is 'higher thermal brake pads'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a MSP no delivery date yet.
What can an owner do to improve the braking performance for everyday driving and some light track duty?

Suggestions were: brake fluid with higher thermal capacity, upgraded brake lines.

t s p o r t l i n e has a brake upgrade for $5K, must have 20" wheels to accommodate the larger diameter rotor + caliper. There's no posting on 60-0, 70-0 or 100-0 distances.
I'm planning to upgrade the stock 19s but I'm going to lose out on installing a larger brake kit.

Any suggestions?

Best option - (obvious) Tesla's carbon ceramic brake package. At 15k, it is a comparative BARGAIN, and absolute killer performance. Also don't believe the bs about not tracking carbon ceramics. Maybe this was an issue 30 years ago, but is a non-event today. Track away happily, I doubt anyone could ever kill them (at least by driving on them!)

Lower cost options are around, just not as good. Mountain Pass Performance and Unplugged both offer larger two-piece iron rotors front and rear - these seem pretty decent. Coupled with an aggressive track pad this should do pretty well. There's some gains to be made with vane-cooled rotors but simple physics dictate rotor weight is your thermal fuse (i.e. more rotor weight = better for fade resistance). This will depend on your driving too, "light track use" might be fine. Results will vary.

I personally am not a fan of the Unplugged Carbon BBK upgrade kit. It looks a lot like it was lifted from another OEM application (that was a common supercar with similar performance but less than half the weight). I'm suspicious, although have no proof of this. I Could be totally wrong. Also it's an older rotor technology in the scheme of carbon rotors. Having said that, it's still probably the best carbon aftermarket kit available, Just not for me. :p

Improved Cooling definitely helps - the shields are good for street but hurt/limit cooling on track. Dump them, or invest in brake ducts which are very effective (at speed). The shields definitely help on street though, especially through winter. So it's a PITA... Unplugged have ducts which look good but are damn pricey...

Brake hoses help a bit, but it's marginal. Worth it paired with other mods, but probably not on their own.

Brake fluid change to a higher performance fluid definitely helps. But be careful - "racing brake fluid" is great for racing, sucks for everyday. It is more corrosive, and turns to treacle in cold weather (sketchy for ABS). Also it should be flushed after every few trackday/weekends. Be warned. I'd stay away.
Just get a high-quality, performance/street DOT-4, and flush regularly (after trackdays). Any Performance-OEM approved High-perf DOT-4 should work. Tesla has a really great fluid they offer(ed?) on the M3P track pack but it's stupid-hard to find now. But if your SC can get it, it is approved for all vehicles. Just nobody knows about it...

I like your Tsportline option, Brembo kits are usually pretty fantastic. Pretty decent price too. Maybe a good pairing with a larger rear rotor combo? Good luck, Let us know how you go!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Thank you for that great response btec116. Great information.

I will not be a very frequent track rat, probably do some high speed runs at the Miami-Homestead Speedway a few times/yr to stretch the MSP legs rather than on public roads & risking going to jail or dropping $ for fines.

So, I may be hitting the brakes a little bit.
I'm still wrestling with going 19" or 20".
Does anyone think the 20" compromise the ride significantly or just marginally?
The MSP will be a daily driver.
Will the 19" with an upgraded set of rotors, still 380mm but with the factory upgraded MSP fade resistant pads do the job? The upgraded rotors are about 4.8 lbs lighter per rotor and the design appears to have much better cooling than the stock rotors.

Also, can anyone chime in on the benefits of 20x10 square vs 20s staggered other than the $ savings since square can be rotated.

Thank you for that great response btec116. Great information.

I will not be a very frequent track rat, probably do some high speed runs at the Miami-Homestead Speedway a few times/yr to stretch the MSP legs rather than on public roads & risking going to jail or dropping $ for fines.

So, I may be hitting the brakes a little bit.
I'm still wrestling with going 19" or 20".
Does anyone think the 20" compromise the ride significantly or just marginally?
The MSP will be a daily driver.
Will the 19" with an upgraded set of rotors, still 380mm but with the factory upgraded MSP fade resistant pads do the job? The upgraded rotors are about 4.8 lbs lighter per rotor and the design appears to have much better cooling than the stock rotors.

Also, can anyone chime in on the benefits of 20x10 square vs 20s staggered other than the $ savings since square can be rotated.
I might suggest one of 20 threads already in motion that cover hundreds of posts covering the answers you seek. Many with pictures and use case examples.

19-vs-20, I mean it'll also depend a lot on the tires, but generally 19 will be best for ride, 21 worst, and 20 will sit in-between. Consider 21's are for looks more than anything else. Yeah they carry a stickier compound from factory, but it's by no accident that the track pack uses 20" rims... For the record I'm on the 21's, and they ride just fine for me around Vegas, and the (summer) grip is fantastic. But my personal preference (for aesthetics, ride and dynamics) would be 20" square fit, and these are likely coming when the (otherwise excellent) current tires die.

I think for Tires, both size and compound are an EXTREMELY personal choice. What works for one may not work for another. Differences in tires can have subtle or significant impact on how the car drives. This will have different importance for different people. If you're thinking to venture away from standard, you'll already have your reasons. If the choice is not obvious, I'd say stick with stock, that's what the car is engineered to work best with for most people.

Sounds like you're on the right path with your brake needs. The upgraded Tesla pads bring probably about a 10% improvement to high-temp and fade resistance, by way of more pad surface area. That's noticeable, but not stellar. But, combined with a 2-piece rotor and better fluid would probably start adding up though...

• Helpful
Thanks for the heads up btec 116.
Replacing stock 19"s with $2k flow forged wheels and mounting the tires from the OEM wheels make $ sense.
If I go to 20" square, I'd have to fork out $3.5k.
Replacing tires on a square setup runs a few hundred less and has the benefit of tire rotation.
Going to 20" give future option of installing a BBK + they look damn good when they are installed.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I ordered the 19's.

I've never tracked a car before but I'm starting to learn now and using racing sim and will _hopefully_ try a track sometime in the near future for fun.

I am researching some 20" wheels now as well. Probably square. Won't change until I run the 19's for some time most likely.

I think in the event that I do end up tracking, I will fork out the money for Tesla's brake package... why? well.... don't know, probably the same reason why I am getting a plaid... just because hehe.