Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Turbines Staggered or Non-staggered (Square)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm thinking of getting 21" turbines and I've seen people post that they have staggered and non-staggered (square) all the same size.

What are the advantages or disadvantaged of each? Do the tires wear faster on one more than the other? Do the rear wheels look flush with the body in the staggered set?

staggard is for performance.

The rear wheels where the car presents the greatest amount of torque is wider to accept wider tiers.
Going though physics, wider tires, means more surface area for friction.
More surface area for friction means better grip which translates to better acceleration.

But like all things in life, you pay for what you get.
At the cost for greater performance, staggard tires means fat chance at you getting a tire rotation.
Having greater torque in the rear also translates to faster wear.
If your tires were all the same size, you could essentially extend the life of tires by rotating them... meaning moving the rear up front and front back.
This wont double the life of tire, but will give you roughly 50-66% more tread life, because u are shifting the wear across all 4 tires.
(does not apply if u had bad wheel alignment, or you drive like how they drive in Fast in Furious.)

Also a lot of people who went on the 21inch slipstreams say its the most regretable purchase not because of the wear, but because one bad pothole will make u a very sad panda.

Tesla has not released info on the turbines yet tho, if they are forged or casted.
If they are forged, i expect it to be a bit more durable against potholes, but not downtown LA potholes.
Hence why when i drive in DTLA, i will be be driving like that granny that peeps over the steering wheel going SLOW as hell making prius owners mad at me going so slow.

So if ur area has a lot of potholes, ur best off getting the base wheels, and then probably going aftermarket for forged 20's and not get 21inch at all, otherwise when u hit that pothole, you will be a sad panda.

• Funny
Reactions: Flyguy and Ghosty
staggard is for performance.

Also a lot of people who went on the 21inch slipstreams say its the most regretable purchase not because of the wear, but because one bad pothole will make u a very sad panda.

Tesla has not released info on the turbines yet tho, if they are forged or casted.

Did you mean to say:

Also a lot of people who went on the 21inch Turbines say its the most regrettable purchase not because of the wear, but because one bad pothole will make u a very sad panda.

Tesla has not released info on the Twin Turbines yet tho, if they are forged or casted.

What color Turbines are you looking for?

I'm considering selling my "square" silver 21" Turbines with moderately worn Continental Sport Contact 5P - CSI tires so I can install Arachnids instead.

Tires awesome handling QUIET "CSI" tires alone sell for $1,700 installed new with America's Tire Certificates (non-prorated extended warranty) which I have on my tires: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/continental-sport-contact-5p---csi/p/25769

PM if interested.

I'm looking for either silver or gray turbines. I'm also still deciding if I should get turbines or the arachnids. I like how they both look and I think I'm willing to sacrifice wear/ride for looks. I have the standard 19's right now.

Aesthetically do the "square" set on the rear wheels look any different than the staggered set? Will it protrude out slightly more? If so, is it noticeable?

Also, do the turbines come non-staggered when bought from Tesla or are they put together from 2 different sets?

Did you mean to say:

Also a lot of people who went on the 21inch Turbines say its the most regrettable purchase not because of the wear, but because one bad pothole will make u a very sad panda.

Tesla has not released info on the Twin Turbines yet tho, if they are forged or casted.

yes thank you for the fix...

was typing that out before i had my morning coffee...

I'm looking for either silver or gray turbines. I'm also still deciding if I should get turbines or the arachnids. I like how they both look and I think I'm willing to sacrifice wear/ride for looks. I have the standard 19's right now.

Aesthetically do the "square" set on the rear wheels look any different than the staggered set? Will it protrude out slightly more? If so, is it noticeable?

Also, do the turbines come non-staggered when bought from Tesla or are they put together from 2 different sets?

Turbines should be less expensive than Arachnids. Some people don't like the look of the Arachnids... and they may not be as aerodynamic as the Turbines.

Arachnids are ALL "staggered". Turbines came both "square" and "staggered".

Staggered rear tires are slightly wider per the Specs tab on TireRack... but these Specs were for tires mounted on 9.5" wide rims, not the narrower 9" Tesla "staggered" rear wheels:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...XLAC&rearTire=635YR1PSSXLAC&cameFrom=selectOE

245 265 difference
SECT. WIDTH 9.8" 10.7" 0.9"
TREAD WIDTH 9.1" 9.5" 0.4"
OVERALL DIAM. 27.8" 28.3" 0.5"

Personally I find it hard to tell the difference between the wider 265 and 245 tires when they're on the car... Unlike the GLARING difference between the significantly wider rear tires on my 2006 Corvette Z06.

I've also loved the ability to rotate my Turbines front to back to even out tire wear. Avoids 2 separate trips to buy 2 different sized / wearing tires. Did that with my Corvette which had 4 completely different tires since they were 19" on the front and 20" in the rear... and ALL directlonal. PITA to find replacement tires.

Sent you a PM.