Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21+ refresh regen 'moan' when wheel turned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

byeLT4

Feb 16, 2017
Texas
My '21 refresh is getting a strange 'moaning' sound when off the throttle, slowing and the steering wheel is turned. Doesn't happen when the wheel is straight and seems to only happen during regen. Almost sounds like a worn bearing. Going to setup a service appointment but would like to get some opinions before being told it's normal. Anyone experience something similar? Thanks!

That sounds like it! I need to get it in an empty parking lot and test it in reverse.
My 2020-12 Model S Long Range (recently purchased from Tesla used inventory) make a similar noise! It starts as more of a "scrubbing" noise, but intermittently has a louder "moaning" quality like yours that I can also feel as a subtle vibration in the steering wheel. Tesla Service said it sounded like bad bearings, but then checked the bearings and suspension and said it all looks fine. I recently sold my 2016 that I had for five years, and it DID NOT make this noise.

Note that you need some decent speakers (not laptop or phone speakers) to hear that recording. It seems like the noise is triggered by either the lateral forces of turning, or by the front wheels rotating at different speeds. When lifted on my floor-jack, I can spin both front wheels easily with no binding, wobbling, or noise.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4