Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Tesla Model X Rusting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

This is my first post! I have a 2023 Model X. I've noticed the area between the rotor and the rim (see attached pictures) is starting to rust really bad under one year of ownership. I brought it to Tesla and they said it was normal and they won't fix it but I don't agree. Several facts about the car - its garage kept, rust is on front wheels and has around 9,000 miles now. I'm extremely dissapointed about the quality, the service and the attitude of the service center about my concern. I requested the manager to come out and take a look at the rep said he wouldnt come out for this. I've had many cars and have never seen anything like this before from cars significantly less expensive to ones that are slightly more.

What are your thoughts? Is this normal? How should I handle? Am I overreacting (its an expensive car...)?

Attachments

• IMG_9541.jpeg
    IMG_9541.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9542.jpeg
    IMG_9542.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and WyoDude
Hi All,

This is my first post! I have a 2023 Model X. I've noticed the area between the rotor and the rim (see attached pictures) is starting to rust really bad under one year of ownership. I brought it to Tesla and they said it was normal and they won't fix it but I don't agree. Several facts about the car - its garage kept, rust is on front wheels and has around 9,000 miles now. I'm extremely dissapointed about the quality, the service and the attitude of the service center about my concern. I requested the manager to come out and take a look at the rep said he wouldnt come out for this. I've had many cars and have never seen anything like this before from cars significantly less expensive to ones that are slightly more.

What are your thoughts? Is this normal? How should I handle? Am I overreacting (its an expensive car...)?
It's normal. If you want more rust, let it sit for 3 days. The rotors will rust up too. Also normal.

Reactions: zoros
C'mon Benzef - have you been chauffeur driven all your life or what?
Do you ever look at your wheels?
What you have here is technically called 'normal'. It is superficial rust caused in this instance by two issues both of which will cause no structural degradation whatsoever:
1. Bi metal dissimilarity - a very mild chemical reaction going on there and one consequence is ferrous oxide.
2. damp/moisture/wet congregating in that tiny recess and not being removed quickly enough (usually) either because of a design imperfection or in this case (Tesla) - and also something I have quickly come to notice with my T:
lack of use of the brakes. I barely use them because of regen - which (a) is welcome and (b) massive.

I can't think of any car that doesnt do this to a greater or lesser degree.
Perhaps you should get your driver to check the wheels more often and give you more feedback? 😁

is starting to rust really bad
My first car was a 1972 VW Square back. Excellent car for a starving student. The rust on it was so bad I had to cover the heat exchangers with foil so we wouldn't get cooked in the summer. That was "really bad" rusted through. The minor surface rust on your rotors is very minor and doesn't match in the slightest to your anguish. Nothing to see here, move along.

On the other hand, maybe you can get a buyback offer. Silly goose 😜 .